Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Just now, YoungWillz said:

I might just have fucked this one up, DDP wise, on the other hand.

Mind you, always one. What's this article saying right after I handed in my DDP team? "My chemo has failed." Aww sod it...

• Like 1

Better dead than Plaid Stefan :)

Very unexpected to me. He was still active in December. Quite the quick downturn

• Like 1

Sad news, especially as he was so young.

First hit for me, so... you know, points.

• Thanks 1

I don't know shite about Steffan Lewis but he was terribly young and with a family etc so sad news.
As @gcreptile said the end seemed to have come out of nowhere, at least as per anything I could find up till the last couple days of 2018

Damn, that was a very quick downturn.

Never even really considered him too much for the 2019 DDP. In fact, I don't think I selected him anywhere.

Oh well... these things happen.

1 hour ago, msc said:

I might just have fucked this one up, DDP wise, on the other hand.

Mind you, always one. What's this article saying right after I handed in my DDP team? "My chemo has failed." Aww sod it...

I just googled around, can't find this article you refer to.

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I just googled around, can't find this article you refer to.

Here you go!

Wedi i dreial cyffuriau newydd dros yr haf fod yn aflwyddiannus bydd yn debyg o gychwyn ail gwrs o gemotherapi yn nechrau 2019 ac nid yw'n rhoi'r gorau i obaith y daw datblygiad pellach mewn triniaethau canser.

Translated: After a new drug trial over the summer was unsuccessful, it will be likely to start a second course of chemotherapy in the beginning of 2019...

Alas, I hadn't been searching in Welsh...

• Haha 1

Very sad although I knew jack about him or Welsh politics as a whole. Hit on 2 pools for me, including DDP. 3 if you include Shadow List but eh.

17 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Paweł Adamowicz, Mayor of Gdańsk, was stabbed on stage at The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity event and was taken to hospital in critical condition

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/13/gdansk-mayor-stabbed-on-stage-during-charity-event-in-poland

Chrissake, that's big news. The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity is probably the biggest event of the year in Poland.

Political violence is extremely rare in modern day Poland. This is quite shocking.

It is big news— that Christmas finally showed up in Poland.

25 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

It is big news— that Christmas finally showed up in Poland.

Ha, well, leave it to me to take a joke too seriously, but if you actually want to know:

It's basically a month-long fundraiser during the holiday season (in fact, the name of it in Polish uses the word for ''holiday'', not Christmas - I blame the English translation on the War-on-Christmas types getting rowdy) intended to raise money for the underfunded and mismanaged healthcare system in Poland.

It usually ends on a Sunday in mid-January (today is the day) with a telethon and concerts. So mayor Adamowicz was stabbed while on stage with - I believe - some performers and Jerzy Owsiak, the celebrity who runs the whole thing.

Why was he stabbed? Overall, tensions in the country have been very high since the 2015 election and the government has been accused of taking authoritarian measures, for example trying to stack the judiciary with more of their own judges. A lot of liberal Poles have been protesting and forming organizations, and the right-wingers are quite scared and have been riling up their base (reminds you of someone orange by any chance?)

Even the charity event has become politicized as Owsiak, the organizer, is a liberal journo and critic of the government. So some fervent government supporters have boycotted the event. Mayor Adamowicz is also quite progressive, and that seems to be why he was stabbed. According to reports, the man who stabbed him was a disgruntled bank robber who claims he was wrongfully imprisoned and blamed it on the former liberal Civic Platform government (Adamowicz's political party).

Hope you found this not completely a fuckin waste of a read interesting.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Paweł Adamowicz, Mayor of Gdańsk, was stabbed on stage at The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity event and was taken to hospital in critical condition

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/13/gdansk-mayor-stabbed-on-stage-during-charity-event-in-poland

Word is, he's dead. And in my book that's an assassination.

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Word is, he's dead. And in my book that's an assassination.

Agreed.  Move these Adamowicz posts, Admins

Does anyone think that the stress of the whole Brexit mess could lead to a John Smith style political fatality. Passions are running high.

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Does anyone think that the stress of the whole Brexit mess could lead to a John Smith style political fatality. Passions are running high.

Translation: yer thinking of Ken for the Cup?

Never mind Smith, if we get by the next 5 years without an Airey Neave situation I'll be impressed...

• Like 1

Florida representative Alcee Hastings has pancreatic cancer:

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2019/01/14/us-alcee-hastings-cancer/

The 82-year old democrat is "optimistic" and plans to stay in office.

I would post him in the Ideas and Possibilities thread... but I don't think he's going to make it that far. 

Edit: Meh, I should have said " I'm not optimistic". Stupid posting while being in the tram.

• Haha 1

On 15/11/2018 at 16:18, msc said:

Paul Flynn plans to stand down at the "earliest opportunity" (he thinks election next year) "due to failing health".  He mentions crippling arthritis but he's also been bedridden in recent months bar important votes.

Shame imo - spoken highly of by all who know him, regardless of party affiliation.

Paul Flynn missed tonights vote, with ITK folk saying he is very badly ill now.

imo if he had to miss this vote, we're talking gravely...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, msc said:

Paul Flynn missed tonights vote, with ITK folk saying he is very badly ill now.

imo if he had to miss this vote, we're talking gravely...

The only MP to miss the vote.  Suspect he wont make 2020.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2015 at 14:17, gcreptile said:

EPA Chief Douglas M. Costle (born 1939)

Douglas Costle has died.