Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Paul Flynn again didn't vote [again] last night.

Damn stilted sentence.  Cmon man..... just horrid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Paul Flynn again didn't vote last night.

Labour and Tories have both selected their candidates for any by election which is likely to be sooner rather than later.

25 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Labour and Tories have both selected their candidates for any by election which is likely to be sooner rather than later.

I had better dust off those By-election bingo entries.

On 28/01/2019 at 20:55, The Old Crem said:

Reginald Eyre, former mp, died yesterday aged 94.

Telegraph obit here.

I must say, MP obituaries are often interesting but this one particularly so. For the benefit of those who can't get beyond the paywall:

"Driving home to Warwickshire, he picked up a hitchhiker who after a few miles pressed a gun to his ribs. Eyre heard a click and realised the chamber was empty. He braked, the assailant was thrown forward, and Eyre wrenched the weapon off him. Then, characteristically, he drove the man home to see his family before taking him to the police station: “I felt rather sorry for him,” Eyre said. “He told me he had no work.” A merchant seaman said to suffer from “delusions of grandeur”, the attacker was jailed for five years. 

Eyre’s sangfroid did not reflect a lack of emotion. He was outraged at the IRA pub bombings of 1974 that killed 21 people and injured more than 180. Declaring that many Birmingham people saw them as an act of war, he dropped his opposition to hanging.

Liberal on immigration, he tried to calm race relations after Enoch Powell’s “Rivers of Blood” speech, and was one of the last West Midlands MPs to decide curbs on migration to the inner cities were needed."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Damn stilted sentence.  Cmon man..... just horrid.

Apologies had done a night shift  on Tuesday and was shattered.

On 02/06/2018 at 10:19, drol said:

Taiwan former dictator president Lee Teng-Hui is now wheelchair bound, but still travelling outside his country.

Lee Teng-Hui discharged from hospital after more than two months. Suffered hemorrhage in November after hitting his head.

Former dictator and current opposition leader of Bangladesh Hussain Muhammad Ershad is in Singapore for medical treatment. He has been hospitalized two months for liver disease.

Hanoi, Vietnam, Office of the Communist Party Secretary.

"Hurry up, mr. Secretary. Do you remember what day  is today?"

"Yes, it's the beginning of a new year for our time reckoning, but where must we go?"

"Well, you know, mr. Secretary, 108 Military Hospital..."

"Wait, a minute, he is not dead?! Not even this year?!

"Oh, don't worry. Next year he won't be there..."

"You have been saying this for ages.... I should fire you"

Le Duc Anh lives enough to receive another visit at hospital from Vietnamese officials.

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Did anybody already mention the plight of former Argentina president Fernando De La Rua?

Yes, lots of times.

On 16/11/2013 at 22:12, VSBfromH said:

Clerides is the one on the right (if you ignore the chap in the blue Frank Spencer hat). The "fat bloke" you refer to is on the left and is Rauf Denktash who left us early last year, but he did reach 87, so not bad indeed!

And 5 years later, Denktashs wife Aydin pegs.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/02/02/wife-of-former-turkish-cypriot-leader-dies-after-illness/

Nawaz Sharif released (temporarily) from prison to hospital for testing.

SC

Reagan/Bush Sr. Secretary of the Army John O. Marsh Jr. dead at 92.

Was also a counselor to Gerald Ford and a member of the House of Representatives from 1963 to 1971.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Reagan/Bush Sr. Secretary of the Army John O. Marsh Jr. dead at 92.

Was also a counselor to Gerald Ford and a member of the House of Representatives from 1963 to 1971.

Here's my question - given the significant number of rather old Reps and Sens of the past, as well as some tottering current members of both houses, are we looking at a flood coming soon? 

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Former US Representative John Dingell, 92, gone into hospice care with prostate cancer.

Yet said to be in "good spirits", awake, telling jokes etc. etc.

Hmmm...

He's a tough one to tell.  He does his annual trip around town in an ambulance, only to go from looking 105 to looking 90 again.  He won't live to see 2021 I guarantee that, but whether this is his time I don't know (I think it's a solo hit DDP for my Made In Detroit team too).  As said in the closing of Gladiator: Dingell will see all the Representatives he worked with, but not yet.....not yet.

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Former US Representative John Dingell, 92, gone into hospice care with prostate cancer.

Yet said to be in "good spirits", awake, telling jokes etc. etc.

Hmmm...

Someone launch the @Sir Creep Bat Signal, that's one of his regular picks.

EDIT _ Seconds, seconds before posting and Ninja'd by Creep himself!

On 06/02/2018 at 15:29, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Dingell will make it to 100.

I like that this prediction turned out to be wrong 1 year to the day (though not dead yet, definitely not seeing 100)...

• Haha 2

What a shame.

Dingell's frequent tweets (although presumably written by his staff) were very clever and I'll miss seeing them on my feed.

Honored him with a spot on the US politics theme team last year, and this year I have him on my Z-Team. Despite his numerous health scares and bouncing back from them, this looks like the real deal.

The Asian MP from Canada (Chen?) didn’t come close to getting one a couple years ago.  Why take that chance?

Cool to see a DP selection hear about Dingell and say oh fuck that and die just to take the spotlight.  Hear hear, Paul Dewar! :clap:

30 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

The Asian MP from Canada (Chen?) didn’t come close to getting one a couple years ago.  Why take that chance?

Yeah, I wasn't here a couple of years ago, so I didn't get that lesson.  I'm learning now.  Fingers crossed though.