Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

27 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

One of those Republicans where while they still did a lot of shitty things, they at least had some respectability in them. Something that has completely gone away with Republican politicians nowadays.

As the name is now out of the bag - I would suggest to add Kashmir separatist Syed Ali Shah Geelani to our list of stubborn immortals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syed_Ali_Shah_Geelani

Renal cancer 2006/2007, "severe" chest infection in 2007, house arrest since 2010, death rumours in 2014, recently hospitalised for a stomach infection, but out of hospital again (bad news for my cup team?)

Maybe there's a Shivakamurian potential in his future.

(Or actually, he reminds me of my former Cup miss - M. Karunanidhi)

If you are compiling a list of stubborn immortals, and popping into the Political Frailty thread, why no mention of Dick Cheney?  No one and I mean NO ONE has a worse medical history (which has been surprisingly quiet the past few years).  I'll be happy to post but it's lengthy.  He is DEFINITELY stubborn immortal material.
SC

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

If you are compiling a list of stubborn immortals, and popping into the Political Frailty thread, why no mention of Dick Cheney?  No one and I mean NO ONE has a worse medical history (which has been surprisingly quiet the past few years).  I'll be happy to post but it's lengthy.  He is DEFINITELY stubborn immortal material.
SC

He is only 78, so we can't consider him as immortal yet. We have to wait another 10-15 years.

11 minutes ago, Prophet said:

He is only 78, so we can't consider him as immortal yet. We have to wait another 10-15 years.

Age isn't a number, it is a compilation of life experiences.  Pinch of DNA.

http://www.doctorzebra.com/prez/a_cheney.htm

Former governor of Puerto Rico Rafael Hernández Colon is dead at 82.

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Actually had a dream about him dying two nights ago but didn't mention it because he just seemed too random to mention. :o

• Like 2

1 minute ago, msc said:

Actually had a dream about him dying two nights ago but didn't mention it because he just seemed too random to mention. :o

Can you give me details of your dreams just before the opening of the MMMDP? :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, msc said:

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Can you give me details of your dreams just before the opening of the MMMDP? :lol:

Forget YoungWilzs statement. Dream me up the numbers on the euromillions. 

• Haha 1

Speculation grows on mr. Nguyen Phu Trong as he misses mr. Anh's funeral. Ah, and mr. Anh got Guardian, Telegraph, BBC, WaPo obits...

On 01/05/2019 at 12:48, gcreptile said:

As the name is now out of the bag - I would suggest to add Kashmir separatist Syed Ali Shah Geelani to our list of stubborn immortals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syed_Ali_Shah_Geelani

Renal cancer 2006/2007, "severe" chest infection in 2007, house arrest since 2010, death rumours in 2014, recently hospitalised for a stomach infection, but out of hospital again (bad news for my cup team?)

Maybe there's a Shivakamurian potential in his future.

(Or actually, he reminds me of my former Cup miss - M. Karunanidhi)

Re-admitted to hospital two days after the discharge - for a "cardiac check-up and pacemaker assessment":

https://www.greaterkashmir.com/news/front-page-2/geelani-readmitted-at-skims-soura/

I should really start a Detroit thread.  Next time I will and that's that.  

Former Detroit mayoral spokesman and communications strategist Bob Berg has died following a battle with cancer. He was 76.

Berg died Wednesday at his Detroit home.  Berg served as press secretary from 1983-93 for Detroit Mayor Coleman A. Young. He was executive assistant for public affairs from 1977-82 for Michigan Gov. William Milliken.

(*Hint Milliken still alive, prime DDP candidate)
SC

On 28/09/2018 at 12:22, drol said:

With the recent deaths of Bejing Mayor Lin Huja and Henan governor Liu Jie there are now only 6 living members of the original Communist Party Central Committee.

*Li Rui (1917): Mao Zedong's secretary, has been in hospital since the beginning of April with multiple organ failure. Profiled by BBC before as an important dissident.

*Jiao Ruoyu (1915): Former Mayor of Bejing and still serves as a Communist Congressman.

*Yuan Baohua (1916): President of Renmin University and defined "The Legend of the Century" by Chinese media.

*Wan Haifeng (1920): General of PLA and Deputy. Considered a hero of war, took part to WW2, Chinese civil war and Korean war, as the commander of Chinese troops aligned with North Korea.

*Li Lian (1920): Minor name.

*Su Yiran (1918): Another secondary name.

Plus, though he was not in the original Committee, State Councillor and Politburo member Song Ping (1917) is still alive. Song Ping is responsible for expelling from the party all members who supported Tienanmen protests in 1989. A real dick.

"The legend of the century" Yuan Baohua dead at 103 years:

https://deadobituary.com/yuan-baohua-chinese-academic-died-at-103

to be honest, I never heard of him...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/05/2019 at 13:25, YoungWillz said:

Former Labour MP and Weekend World presenter Brian Walden dead: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-brian-walden-dead-86-15419227

The man was a smidge before my time, but his Times obit might be the best I've read this year. A many of many multitudes, few of them good.

Walden on Weekend World was fascinating though. It was one of the few programmes a truly young me would tune into. Could be a bit sycophantic to people he agreed with, but he knew the power of silence in an interview. Emily Maitlis and Andrew Marr and the rest could learn the value of not interrupting your political interviewee.

Let your question be good and let your words hang in the air. Let your respectful tone sucker your guest into believing you are trying to be on their side and allow them to hang themselves high on the gibbet of their own folly. He really was very good at what he did.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Weird coincidence.Had only just finished watching tonights documentary on Maggie Thatcher when I noticed he'd died. John Moore was one of her favourite  ministers and preferred successor as I recall before it all went pear shaped .