Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

2 hours ago, msc said:

I was watching Jeremy Paxman's Why Are All Politicians Crap thing on Channel 5, to pass the time, and early on Paxman goes to speak to 2 old timers. One was Ken Clarke. The other frail old man was shaking with severe Parkinsons, couldn't focus on the conversation, and looked frail and like someone who had lost a lot of weight.

Then he spoke, or struggled to speak. It was Roy bloody Hattersley.

Overtakes Lawson for frailest British politico seen on TV this year, and one to keep an eye for your longlists and Deathlists.

PS Jonathan Aiken was also interviewed, and while not at deaths door, is already aging in voice and looks enough to suggest he wont far beyond 80.

Hattersley 2019.png

Jesus he looks like death warmed up.Looks like cancer to me.A must have for 2020

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

Jesus he looks like death warmed up.Looks like cancer to me.A must have for 2020

Yeah it looks quite a decline - he was still doing regular TV interviews last year looking like his usual self. I legit couldn't work out who the old guy was until he started to speak.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Yeah it looks quite a decline - he was still doing regular TV interviews last year looking like his usual self. I legit couldn't work out who the old guy was until he started to speak.

Looks like I will regret picking him in George V deadpool.2 years ago when I picked him he seemed good physically and mentally for his age despite his weight.

Just watched the program.He sounds bad too.

52 minutes ago, Desmond Tutu said:

I will pray for his health this evening

god have mercy. 

Dunno where else to post this and it's as close to reading "Call me Dave" Cameron's memoir as I want to get but...

A few other details aside from his mauling of Boris and Gove include the fact he and Eton chums would take a rowing boat and head off to get stoned and that Gove was unmanageable as Education Secretary, frequently straying way off topic in his attempts to get things done: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49700079

• Like 1

Former President of Chad, Lol Mahamat Choua, dead at 80. He was President for like 6 months and seems to have been a puppet President installed by the Niigerians, so jury's out on how relevant he was, but he's still dead. 

5 hours ago, CastAway said:

Former President of Chad, Lol Mahamat Choua, dead at 80. He was President for like 6 months and seems to have been a puppet President installed by the Niigerians, so jury's out on how relevant he was, but he's still dead. 

Hard to feel sad about someone dying when their name is LOL.  

• Like 4

Roberta McCain was 107 this February & looks a good bet to reach 108. She outlived her famous son John the Senator who forbid Trump to attend his funeral. Her husband was an admiral who died in 1981 & her twin sister lived to the age of 99.

An astonishing political link with history. The 10th USA President John Tyler who was born in 1790 & was President from 1841-45 still has two grandsons alive! They are Lyon Tyler (born 1924) & Harrison Tyler (born 1928) There can be very few other people alive who had a grandparent born in the 1700's? 

• Like 1

*yaaaawwwwwnn*
Another link with history are all the people bringing us astonishing 'new information' during their first 50 posts on DL.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

An astonishing political link with history. The 10th USA President John Tyler who was born in 1790 & was President from 1841-45 still has two grandsons alive! They are Lyon Tyler (born 1924) & Harrison Tyler (born 1928) There can be very few other people alive who had a grandparent born in the 1700's? 

I ve heard this at least seven times. And seen pictures of Lyon on a wheelchair of course.

• Like 1

Will somebody please mention Hitler's grandnephews now?!

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Will somebody please mention Hitler's grandnephews now?!

Err, you just have.-_-

• Like 1

On 09/09/2019 at 18:14, drol said:

Taiwan democracy activist Roger Hsieh has died at 85. Obviously this is ony an excuse to post a list of Taiwanese Democracy activists and elderly political figures. Taiwan is a rich China, so they are longeve as fuck.

1)Su Beng (1918). Su Beng tried to assassinate Chiang Kai-shek himself in the 1950s. He is known as a violent communist, "the Taiwanese Che Guevara". Very old, blind and wheelchair bound for years, he suffered a nasty fall last December and was hospitalized in critical conditions. Has since made a full recovery, it seems.

2)Hau Pei-tsun (1919). Former PM of Taiwan. He was a close aide of Chiang Kai-shek and then became one of the favourites henchmen of Lee Teng-hui. In 1996 he betrayed his puppetmaster running for veep with another party. Failing obviously. Suffered a severe stroke in April 2019 and has since been hospitalized in ICU, reportedly half-paralyzed. Yep, how the hell is he still going?

3)Lee Teng-hui (1923) De facto dictator of Taiwan from 1988 to 2000, is considered a major inspiration for current president Tsai Ing-wen, who frequently used him as a counsellor. A corrupted fraudster who embezzled millions, he has a complicated medical history. In 2000 he had bypass surgery, in 2011 he suffered from colon cancer, from which he fully recovered. In 2015 he suffered a minor stroke, in November 2018 a major fall and intracranial hemorrhage, which had him hospitalized for three months. Now better and scheduled to publicly appear at the end of September.

4)Peng Ming-min (1923). Democracy activist who wrote the pamphlet for which Roger Hsieh was arrested and tortured. He instead flew to Sweden. In 1996 he run against crook Lee Teng-hui and lost miserably. Still in good health and angry towards the government.

5)Chiu Chuang-huan (1925). Vicepremier in the 80s, a political dinosaur whose last public appearances date back to 2011. Shouldn't be in the best health nowadays.

6)Tseng Wen-hui (1926) Lee Teng-hui's wife, who is still sprightly and looks 20 years younger, so destined to be a widow, it seems. Embezzled millions and sent to jail those who protested.

Su Beng dead at 100!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drol said:

Su Beng dead at 100!

A Boy Named Su

2E80B12D-40B2-43AF-812C-8DA1E6247C2C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Maurice Ferre, first Hispanic mayor of Miami, FL and member of the Florida House of Representatives dead at 84 from spinal cancer.

His son, daughter-in-law and grandson were among the victims of the American Airlines Flight 965 in 1995.

On October 1st 2019 there will be the 70th anniversary of People's Republic of China founding. Besides the remaining founding fathers of PRC, which are four, only two of whom (Jiao Ruoyu and Wan Haifeng) are indeed notable, it will be interesting to see which cadres show up. Zhu Rongji, Wen Jiabao, Hu Jintao have not taken part to Li Peng's funeral, still are being advertised for this event. Reportedly Jiang Zemin and Song Ping are too sick to be there. Song Ping was also recently widowed, I'd be surprised if he sees the year out.

• Like 1

Barry Sheerman Labour MP went red in the face and nearly exploded with anger in the commons.Not good for a 79 year old to get so worked up.

On 22/09/2019 at 17:55, drol said:

On October 1st 2019 there will be the 70th anniversary of People's Republic of China founding. Besides the remaining founding fathers of PRC, which are four, only two of whom (Jiao Ruoyu and Wan Haifeng) are indeed notable, it will be interesting to see which cadres show up. Zhu Rongji, Wen Jiabao, Hu Jintao have not taken part to Li Peng's funeral, still are being advertised for this event. Reportedly Jiang Zemin and Song Ping are too sick to be there. Song Ping was also recently widowed, I'd be surprised if he sees the year out.

Wan Haifeng's wife Zhao Zeng has died at 96.

On 03/05/2019 at 21:46, drol said:

Speculation grows on mr. Nguyen Phu Trong as he misses mr. Anh's funeral. Ah, and mr. Anh got Guardian, Telegraph, BBC, WaPo obits...

Rumor-mongering article on the health of Trong, who might not make it to the next National Congress in 2021:

https://thediplomat.com/2019/09/is-vietnams-trong-still-going-strong/