Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

14 hours ago, Banana said:

Has anyone else noticed that quite a lot of Indian MPs/MLAs (mostly MLAs) have been passing recently?

12/30: Vikho-o Yhoshu, MLA

12/29: Sheesharam Singh, MLA

12/28: Indramoni Bora, MP

12/27: Sachhidanand Narayan Deb, MLA & Jasbir Singh, MLA

12/26: Badeti Bujji, MLA

12/21: Banwari Lal Sharma, MLA

12/20: Thomas Chandy, MLA

12/17: Kaushalendra Pratap Shahi, MLA

12/16: Sukhendu Maity, MLA & T. Torechu, MLA

12/15: Rajesh Khaitan, MLA & I. D. Swami, MP

12/10: Rajen Borthakur, MLA & Ashok Kalyanrao Tapkir, MLA

12/9: Gandharv Singh, MLA
12/8: Bhagabat Prasad Mohanty, MLA

12/3: R. Ramanathan, MLA

12/2: Bhagwati Singh Visharad, MLA

12/1: Noksong Boham, MLA

That's 20 over the last 30 days. Currently on a 5 day streak.

6 day streak with A. V. Swamy, MP, from Odisha, on 12/31.

• Like 1

whats an MLA?

19 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

whats an MLA?

In Canada, it's a Member of the Legislative Assembly. Likely the same in India, since we share Commonwealth history.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, theoldlady said:

6 day streak with A. V. Swamy, MP, from Odisha, on 12/31.

I think maybe someone who lives in India has been updating the wikipedia obits page a lot lately ! 

On 28/09/2018 at 12:22, drol said:

With the recent deaths of Bejing Mayor Lin Huja and Henan governor Liu Jie there are now only 6 living members of the original Communist Party Central Committee.

*Li Rui (1917): Mao Zedong's secretary, has been in hospital since the beginning of April with multiple organ failure. Profiled by BBC before as an important dissident.

*Jiao Ruoyu (1915): Former Mayor of Bejing and still serves as a Communist Congressman.

*Yuan Baohua (1916): President of Renmin University and defined "The Legend of the Century" by Chinese media.

*Wan Haifeng (1920): General of PLA and Deputy. Considered a hero of war, took part to WW2, Chinese civil war and Korean war, as the commander of Chinese troops aligned with North Korea.

*Li Lian (1920): Minor name.

*Su Yiran (1918): Another secondary name.

Plus, though he was not in the original Committee, State Councillor and Politburo member Song Ping (1917) is still alive. Song Ping is responsible for expelling from the party all members who supported Tienanmen protests in 1989. A real dick.

Jiao Ruoyu dead at 104 as reported elsewhere.

• Like 1

The 42nd Vice President of the United States  Walter Mondale celebrates his 92nd birthday today and is certainly a contender in future years for consideration for the deathlist .

:birthday:

• Like 5

Fred Richmond, a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives died on 28th December aged 96 in a nursing home from pneumonia.

Served between 1975 and 1982. Also a WWII veteran.

Quite an eye catching line on his Wiki page: "In April 1978, Richmond was arrested in Washington for soliciting sex from a 16-year-old boy." 

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Quite an eye catching line on his Wiki page: "In April 1978, Richmond was arrested in Washington for soliciting sex from a 16-year-old boy." 

He should think himself lucky he never put that 16 year old on his DDP. He’d never live it down...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Fred Richmond, a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives died on 28th December aged 96 in a nursing home from pneumonia.

Served between 1975 and 1982. Also a WWII veteran.

That means  4 of the 10 oldest former m,embers of the US House of Representatives have died since september. Bob Dole is one of the remaining 6 so I guess that means he has a 40 % chance of dying in the next 3 or 4 months at the current rate .if only it worked like that ... 

Agreed that a lot of them have been dropping off recently.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to look at how many WWII veterans from the three strands of government in the U.S. are still with us.

There are still 6 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:

b. 1919: Lester L. Wolff
b. 1920: Neal Edward Smith
b. 1921: Mike McCormack
b. 1923: Bob Dole, Al Quie
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1925: Fletcher Thompson, G. William Whitehurst, Lucien Nedzi
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel Jr., Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

There is just 1 living Senators who served (they are also the top 2 oldest living):
b. 1923: James Buckley, Bob Dole (also listed above)
b. 1925: Daniel Evans
b. 1926: Mark Andrews (also listed above)
b. 1927: John Warner

There are 5 living Governors who served:
b. 1921: John Malcolm Patterson
b. 1922: Wayne Mixson
b. 1923: William Winter, Al Quie (also listed above), Linwood Holton

b. 1924: Dale E. Wolf, Jimmy Carter
b. 1925: Ted Schwinden, Daniel Evans (also listed above)
b. 1926: George Ariyoshi
b. 1927: Phil Batt, George Nigh, Winfield Dunn, Edwin Edwards (also listed above)

Jimmy Carter (also listed above) is of course the only living President who served. There are no living Vice Presidents who served.

2 living members of the Cabinet who served:

Johnson administrationAlan Stephenson Boyd (b. 1922), Ramsey Clark (b. 1927) NONE!
Nixon administration: Henry Kissinger (b. 1923), George Shultz (b. 1920)
Ford administration: Henry Kissinger (b. 1923, also listed above)
Carter administration: Charles Duncan (b. 1926), Ray Marshall (b. 1928)
Reagan administrationGeorge Shultz (b. 1920, also listed above) NONE!

No living justices of the Supreme Court who served following the death of John Paul Stevens (1920–2019).

As far as I know, these are complete. I will do the UK (Commons and Lords) when I get time, but that will probably involve more research.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Thought I'd take this opportunity to look at how many WWII veterans from the three strands of government in the U.S. are still with us.

There are still 26 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:

b. 1921: Harry G. Haskell Jr., Mike McCormack
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Howard C. Nielson, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Amo Houghton, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel, Jr., William J. Keating, Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

There are just 5 living Senators who served (they are also the top 5 oldest living):
b. 1923: James Buckley Bob Dole (also listed above)

There are 14 living Governors who served:
b. 1927: Phil Batt, George Nigh, Winfield Dunn, Edwin Edwards (also listed above)

Jimmy Carter (also listed above) is of course the only living President who served. There are no living Vice Presidents who served.

6 living members of the Cabinet who served:

Johnson administration: Alan Stephenson Boyd (b. 1922), Ramsey Clark (b. 1927)
Reagan administration: George Shultz (b. 1920, also listed above)

No living justices of the Supreme Court who served following the death of John Paul Stevens (1920–2019).

As far as I know, these are complete. I will do the UK (Commons and Lords) when I get time, but that will probably involve more research.

Your list is a tad generous. I have a hard time describing Senator Andrews as having served, which is why I’ve never included him in the list of Senators already posted, he was at West Point during the war and quit once it was over. 

Starting to regret that I didn't list George Shultz on my Top 50.  Oldest living former member of a U.S. Cabinet, was famously Reagan's Secretary of State, and is 99.  

5 hours ago, MrWonderful said:

Starting to regret that I didn't list George Shultz on my Top 50.  Oldest living former member of a U.S. Cabinet, was famously Reagan's Secretary of State, and is 99.  

The longest lived member of any US cabinet ever in fact ! 

On 31/12/2019 at 23:06, Skinny kiltrunner said:

In Canada, it's a Member of the Legislative Assembly. Likely the same in India, since we share Commonwealth history.

Also in Northern Ireland.

On 10/01/2020 at 04:28, Ulitzer95 said:

There are still 26 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:

b. 1921: Harry G. Haskell Jr., Mike McCormack
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Howard C. Nielson, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Amo Houghton, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel, Jr., William J. Keating, Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

There are just 5 living Senators who served (they are also the top 5 oldest living):
b. 1923: James Buckley Bob Dole (also listed above)

There are 14 living Governors who served:

6 living members of the Cabinet who served:

Johnson administration: Alan Stephenson Boyd (b. 1922), Ramsey Clark (b. 1927)
Reagan administration: George Shultz (b. 1920, also listed above)

Harry G. Haskell Jr. now dead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

Harry G. Haskell Jr. now dead.

That means 5 of the 10 oldest members of the US House have died since september, 4 of them in the  last 2 months, (the other 4 being  Berkley Bedell, Roger Zion, Fred Richmond and Catherine Long). The remaining 5 inc Bob Dole should be getting a bit worried ! 

This pic of George Shultz was taken a  few days ago. Does he look like he'll make it to 100 in December ? :huh: He's still healthy enough to have meetings so maybe he will ! 

EONQeehXkAM256W.jpg

• Sad 1

Has visibly deteriorated. Ankles are swollen like Vera Lynn's. 100 will be his best achievable goal.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, drol said:

Has visibly deteriorated. Ankles are swollen like Vera Lynn's. 100 will be his best achievable goal.

Found this on YouTube.  Not that I expect anyone to actually watch this in its entirety, but he certainly appeared to be mentally sharp in September of last year, just 4 months ago.  Do you think he looks visibly worse in the pic from a few days ago, as compared to this appearance in September?  I actually think he looks thinner back in September.   

• Like 1

Charlotte here suggesting that Bob Maclennan, last leader of the SDP prior to the merger with the Liberals, has moved on:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drol said:

vera is almost 103 tho

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

vera is almost 103 tho

Vera's health started to decline after her 101st birthday. Her being still alive is barely explainable.

Quite a few lib dem leaders have died lately. Charles Kennedy, Paddy Ashdown, now Robert MacLennan. Mind you they do change leaders    quite frequently...