Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

9 hours ago, MrWonderful said:

Found this on YouTube.  Not that I expect anyone to actually watch this in its entirety, but he certainly appeared to be mentally sharp in September of last year, just 4 months ago.  Do you think he looks visibly worse in the pic from a few days ago, as compared to this appearance in September?  I actually think he looks thinner back in September.   

I disagree.He looks quite good in that video.He seems to have deteriorated a lot since september ! At that rate of deterioration he may not last as long as I thought ! 

21 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Charlotte here suggesting that Bob Maclennan, last leader of the SDP prior to the merger with the Liberals, has moved on:

An SDP for my DDP

• Like 2

On 10/01/2020 at 13:11, arrowsmith said:
On 10/01/2020 at 06:28, Ulitzer95 said:

There are still 26 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:

b. 1919: Lester L. Wolff
b. 1920: Neal Edward Smith
b. 1921: Harry G. Haskell Jr., Mike McCormack
b. 1923: Bob Dole, Al Quie
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Howard C. Nielson, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1925: Fletcher Thompson, G. William Whitehurst, Lucien Nedzi
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Amo Houghton, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel, Jr., William J. Keating, Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

Unless they did something of distinction beyond being a member of the House (see: Bob Dole, Edwin Edwards), I'd consider leaving some of these names alone.  We are still waiting for an obit of any kind beyond a local Indiana one for Roger Zion, who was the oldest surviving member of the House when he died recently.  Not even New York Times material, apparently.   Obvs to each their own, but that is a rule I'll be operating under from now on.  At least it only hurt me in the ABC deadpool.
SC

52 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Unless they did something of distinction beyond being a member of the House (see: Bob Dole, Edwin Edwards), I'd consider leaving some of these names alone.  We are still waiting for an obit of any kind beyond a local Indiana one for Roger Zion, who was the oldest surviving member of the House when he died recently.  Not even New York Times material, apparently.   Obvs to each their own, but that is a rule I'll be operating under from now on.  At least it only hurt me in the ABC deadpool.
SC

I don’t research and post on here for the sake of deadpooling (haven’t even participated in any in years), and I certainly don’t post for your sake, SC.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-council-shock-popular-top-17602796

Not a politician but definitely somebody from the world of politics so I thought this was the best thread to post in as I couldn't find a thread for all things scouse or city of Liverpool orientated. 

Liverpool city council elected mayor Joe Anderson pays tribute to popular and long serving city council director Ron Odunaiya who has died suddenly aged 51 after a short illness. 

My top pick sleeper pick that I was hoping would hold on until the Deathlist Cup didn't make it to the start line.  Allison Copening, former Nevada senator, dead at 55 from apparent cardiac issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox5vegas.com/news/former-nevada-legislator-allison-copening-has-died-family-says/article_b52ee986-3a1c-11ea-8d0a-63b0aeed3a7e.amp.html

Just now, Skinny kiltrunner said:

My top pick sleeper pick that I was hoping would hold on until the Deathlist Cup didn't make it to the start line.  Allison Copening, former Nevada senator, dead at 55 from apparent cardiac issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox5vegas.com/news/former-nevada-legislator-allison-copening-has-died-family-says/article_b52ee986-3a1c-11ea-8d0a-63b0aeed3a7e.amp.html

Saw that case. Didn’t think she’d make the starting line. 

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Saw that case. Didn’t think she’d make the starting line. 

I consider anyone not mentioned in the forum as a sleeper, but there are probably 2 or 3 dozen folks scrubbing her from their lists as I write this.

2wU4r1s67gtkkbMGZd.gif

Has Mikhail Gorbachev ever been on the list? Here is a recent pic of him alongside a pic of Helmut Kohl shortly before he died. Compare and contrast ! 

0_Russia-marks-74th-anniversary-of-the-end-of-World-War-II-Moscow-Russian-Federation-09-May-2019.jpg

hqdefault (1).jpg

4 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Has Mikhail Gorbachev ever been on the list? Here is a recent pic of him alongside a pic of Helmut Kohl shortly before he died. Compare and contrast ! 

0_Russia-marks-74th-anniversary-of-the-end-of-World-War-II-Moscow-Russian-Federation-09-May-2019.jpg

hqdefault (1).jpg

Last year, and was such an idiotic drop by the committee 

Tom Railsback, who was among the Republican lawmakers who actually voted to impeach Nixon in the house is dead at 87

14 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Former conservative cabinet minister and  education secretary Gillian Shepherd celebrates her 80th birthday today. 

and yet John Hurt, born on the same day, doesn't. Life, its a funny old game.

George Herbert (Bert)  Walker, a former U.S. ambassador to Hungary, has died.  He was 88.  Walker, a retired chairman and CEO of the Stifel, Nicolaus and Co. brokerage firm as well, was a cousin to both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, the latter of whom appointed him to the ambassadorial position.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/obituaries/g-h-bert-walker-iii-civic-leader-brokerage-executive-and/article_5e173826-8098-523f-87cb-42c596d66f45.html

As promised, a list of WWII veterans from the British establishment. Much shorter than the U.S. one, but I can't promise it's complete as there is no one "go to" to get this info. Here goes:

Royal family
*Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (b. 1921)
*Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926)

Members of the House of Lords (includes current and former, including all hereditaries who lost seats in 1999 reform)
*9th Viscount Falmouth (b. 1919)
*21st Baron Saye and Sele (b. 1920)
*Lord Michael Shaw (b. 1920)
*Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (b. 1921, also listed above)
*Baroness Jill Knight (b. 1923)
*Baroness Pamela Sharples (b. 1923)
*11th Earl of Elgin (b. 1924)
*Lord Tony Christopher (b. 1925)
*Lord John Eden (b. 1925)
*Lord Ted Graham (b. 1925)
*3rd Baron Wakehurst (b. 1925)
*9th Baron Walsingham (b. 1925)
*8th Marquess of Ailesbury (b. 1926)
*13th Earl of Airlie (b. 1926)

Members of Parliament
*Sir Patrick Duffy (b. 1920) Labour
*Lord Michael Shaw (b. 1920) Conservative
*Baroness Jill Knight (b. 1923, also listed above) Conservative
*James Ramsden (b. 1923) Conservative
*Eric Cockeram (b. 1924) Conservative
*Ben Ford (b. 1925) Labour
*Lord John Eden (b. 1925, also listed above) Conservative
*Lord Ted Graham (b. 1925, also listed above) Labour

Only 6 names altogether :(

Note: Ron Atkins (b. 1916) did not serve because of psoriasis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Former California Congressman Fortney “Pete” Stark died Friday, according to a statement released by Speaker Nancy Pelosi. He was 88 years old.

Stark served in Congress 40 years and most recently as the representative for the East Bay district that includes Alameda, Oakland and Berkeley.

SC

India's former secretary of state for science and technology Dr MK Bhan has sadly passed away it has been announced. He was a significant advocate, academic and researcher in India in this field .

The former mayor of Springfield in the USA Frank Edwards and his wife  Cinda the county coroner in Sangamon have died in a plane crash.