Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

20 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It's the death notice that the family have put up. Different section of a broadsheet.

The Telegraph haven't published an obit yet. That will inevitably follow...

And sure enough it has now come ! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/04/01/james-ramsden-last-secretary-war-took-john-profumo-torrid-sex/

• Like 1

Botswana has two former cranky old Foreign Ministers: Archibald Mogwe (1921) and his successor Gaositwe Chiepe (1922). Life expectancy in the country is 66 years.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drol said:

Botswana has two former cranky old Foreign Ministers: Archibald Mogwe (1921) and his successor Gaositwe Chiepe (1922). Life expectancy in the country is 66 years.

I don't disagree these 2 are very old, but stating the life expectancy of a country like this is not really that helpful.  The elite in these places have resources not available to the plebeian class, so the life expectancy of the country doesn't apply to them.  Unless that was your point.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

I don't disagree these 2 are very old, but stating the life expectancy of a country like this is not really that helpful.  The elite in these places have resources not available to the plebeian class, so the life expectancy of the country doesn't apply to them.  Unless that was your point.

It was.

• Like 1

Times Obit (Paywall) for Robert Armstrong, Baron Armstrong of Ilminster, former civil servant who was Principal Private Secretary to The Prime Minister between 1970 and 1975, and served as Cabinet Secretary to Thatcher: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lord-armstrong-of-ilminster-obituary-5pc83xlt2

His Wiki linked above is worth a read regarding the Spycatcher trial and his seemingly ambivalent attitude towards paedophilia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Times Obit (Paywall) for Robert Armstrong, Baron Armstrong of Ilminster, former civil servant who was Principal Private Secretary to The Prime Minister between 1970 and 1975, and served as Cabinet Secretary to Thatcher: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lord-armstrong-of-ilminster-obituary-5pc83xlt2

His Wiki linked above is worth a read regarding the Spycatcher trial and his seemingly ambivalent attitude towards paedophilia.

One of those powers behind the throne names from yesteryear, heavy influence on the character of Sir Humphrey Appleby iirc.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

If you have access, does it say when he died by any chance? 

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

If you have access, does it say when he died by any chance? 

I don't have access, @msc seems to have had a workaround in the past I believe. :mellow:

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I don't have access, @msc seems to have had a workaround in the past I believe. :mellow:

Lord Armstrong of Ilminster, GCB, CVO, civil servant, was born on March 30, 1927. He died on April 3, 2020, aged 93

I had to take The Times out of the budget when Brexit started to hit so that's my last article for the week! :D

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, msc said:

Nvm didn't work

3 hours ago, msc said:

Lord Armstrong of Ilminster, GCB, CVO, civil servant, was born on March 30, 1927. He died on April 3, 2020, aged 93

I had to take The Times out of the budget when Brexit started to hit so that's my last article for the week! :D

You'd think some of the newspapers would lift their paywalls for the corona crisis wouldn't you.Fat chance ! As if it wasn't bad enough that we're all facing possible death in the weeks ahead we still have to pay to find out how  b ad it is! 

State Sen. Jack Hill, who for years has shepherded Georgia’s budget through the Senate, has died. He was 75.

Tattnall County Sheriff Kyle Sapp said Hill, a Reidsville Republican, died Monday evening at his office.  (Not C19 related tyvm)

SC

Daily Mail reporting the death of Sir Peter Viggers, aged 82 (best to search his name as it is only mentioned in a small section half way down the page).

There is a notice in The Times which states he died back on 19th March, but because it's paywalled and then some, I can't link to it.

He was of course, the Tory MP (Gosport, 1974–2010) who was exposed during the wider Expenses Scandal of 2008. He tried to claim £1645 on a duck island for his pond. 

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

56 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He was of course, the Tory MP (Gosport, 1974–2010) who was exposed during the wider Expenses Scandal of 2008. He tried to claim £1645 on a duck island for his pond. 

I thought he died a year or two ago, and now I must have confused him for another Tory MP born in the late 30s.

Anyhow, the whole duck island was one of the notorious bits of the expenses scandal, but just look how happy that duck looked after some taxpayer funded Location Location Location work:

peter-vigger-duck-_1407400c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Peter Temple Morris, Tory MP for Leominster for 27 years who died in 2018 btw. They were right next to each other on the living MPs list a few years back hence my confusion.

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Daily Mail reporting the death of Sir Peter Viggers, aged 82 (best to search his name as it is only mentioned in a small section half way down the page).

There is a notice in The Times which states he died back on 19th March, but because it's paywalled and then some, I can't link to it.

Maybe he died because he was being treated by a quack doctor ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Maybe he died because he was being treated by a quack doctor ! 

How DARE you call a wellness retreat ‘quackery’

2 hours ago, CastAway said:

Ex-Moldovan PM Valeriu Muravschi dead at 70. Obit so far is in Russian for no clue what he died from:

https://ru.sputnik.md/moldova/20200408/29810121/skonchalsya-byvshiy-premer-moldovy-valeriu-muravschi.html

Well, I'm Russian and it says that he's been recovering from a surgery. He has died of surgical complications.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Etushispushingupdaisies said:

Well, I'm Russian and it says that he's been recovering from a surgery. He has died of surgical complications.

I haven’t enough condolences to pass around to satisfy that post.