Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

1 hour ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Former prime minister of Canada John Turner dead at 91 years:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/john-turner-obituary-1.5731229

For a minute I thought he could be the 15th hit.I was convinced he was on the list somehow ! 

Last Canadian PM to die was Pierre Trudeau (father of the current PM of course) 20 years ago this month so it's about time!

Coincidentally the wife of another ex Canadian PM Jean Chretien, Aline Chretien died just a week ago.Don't know if it's allready been mentioned https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/aline-chretien-jean-died-1.5722401

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

For a minute I thought he could be the 15th hit.I was convinced he was on the list somehow ! 

Last Canadian PM to die was Pierre Trudeau (father of the current PM of course) 20 years ago this month so it's about time!

Coincidentally the wife of another ex Canadian PM Jean Chretien, Aline Chretien died just a week ago.Don't know if it's allready been mentioned https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/aline-chretien-jean-died-1.5722401

Any idea how Brian Mulroney is doing these days? 

5 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Any idea how Brian Mulroney is doing these days? 

Last I saw of him was Bush Snr's funeral in Nov 2018. Was well enough to deliver a eulogy anyway 

• Like 1

Loved him with his dark suit in Donnie Darko.

• Haha 2

Three-time Turkey PM Mesut Yilmaz is in critical condition after brain cancer surgery. Apparently he has also suffered from lung cancer in the past.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Did he just shit himself?

Michael Caputo, HHS spokesman for the Trump administration has metastatic cancer:skull:

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Michael Caputo, HHS spokesman for the Trump administration has metastatic cancer:skull:

It might explain some of the nutty things he's said lately, but probably not. He's probably  just a nutter. 

Uktam Barnoev (wiki), incumbent Deputy PM of Uzbekistan, dead from COVID-19, aged 56. After his condition deteriorated they flew him to a hospital in Germany but didn't do any good.

He took office in February. Before that he was the Governor of the Bukhara region of the country. His successor in that role, Karim Kamalov (wiki), also died from COVID-19 in August, aged 66.

• Like 2

Jaswant Singh, political Independent and former member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, who served as Minister of Finance (in 1996 and from 2002 to 2004); Minister of Defense (from 2000 to 2001); and Minister of External Affairs (from 1998 until 2002), died at 82 years:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/jaswant-singh-end-of-a-long-journey-for-the-army-man-turned-parliamentarian/article32707147.ece

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That’s a different person, also called Mulayam Singh Yadav.

I guess I’m seeing double lol

On 10/01/2020 at 12:28, Ulitzer95 said:

Agreed that a lot of them have been dropping off recently.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to look at how many WWII veterans from the three strands of government in the U.S. are still with us.

There are still 21 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:

b. 1919: Lester L. Wolff
b. 1920: Neal Edward Smith
b. 1921: Mike McCormack
b. 1923: Bob Dole, Al Quie
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1925: Fletcher Thompson, G. William Whitehurst, Lucien Nedzi
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel Jr., Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

There are just 4 living Senators who served (they are also the top 4 oldest living):
b. 1923: James Buckley, Bob Dole (also listed above)
b. 1925: Daniel Evans
b. 1926: Mark Andrews (also listed above)
b. 1927: John Warner

There are 13 living Governors who served:
b. 1921: John Malcolm Patterson
b. 1922: Wayne Mixson
b. 1923: William Winter, Al Quie (also listed above), Linwood Holton
b. 1924: Dale E. Wolf, Jimmy Carter
b. 1925: Ted Schwinden, Daniel Evans (also listed above)
b. 1926: George Ariyoshi
b. 1927: Phil Batt, George Nigh, Winfield Dunn, Edwin Edwards (also listed above)

Jimmy Carter (also listed above) is of course the only living President who served. There are no living Vice Presidents who served.

6 living members of the Cabinet who served:

Johnson administration: Alan Stephenson Boyd (b. 1922), Ramsey Clark (b. 1927)
Nixon administration: Henry Kissinger (b. 1923), George Shultz (b. 1920)
Ford administration: Henry Kissinger (b. 1923, also listed above)
Carter administration: Charles Duncan (b. 1926), Ray Marshall (b. 1928)
Reagan administration: George Shultz (b. 1920, also listed above)

No living justices of the Supreme Court who served following the death of John Paul Stevens (1920–2019).

As far as I know, these are complete. I will do the UK (Commons and Lords) when I get time, but that will probably involve more research.

Updated.

Mark Andrews (wiki), Republican Representative (North Dakota, 1963–81) and Senator (ND, 1981–87) has died aged 94.

Just 4 WWII vets who served as Senators living now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Updated.

Mark Andrews (wiki), Republican Representative (North Dakota, 1963–81) and Senator (ND, 1981–87) has died aged 94.

As there were earlier today. He was not a vet. 

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Updated.

Looks like Jim Weaver has also bitten the big one: https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2020/10/jim-weaver-oregons-profound-environmental-congressman-dies-at-93.html (Paywall)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

As there were earlier today. He was not a vet. 

I've been through this with you already.

You don't get to decide what merits a WWII veteran. There are official bodies that do it.

According to the U.S. Senate website, Senator Andrews is listed as a WWII vet.

Now, as we say in Scotland, haud yer wheesht.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I've been through this with you already.

You don't get to decide what merits a WWII veteran. There are official bodies that do it.

According to the U.S. Senate website, Senator Andrews is listed as a WWII vet.

Now, as we say in Scotland, haud yer wheesht.

Indeed there are official bodies that do that and the Senate website isn’t one of them. The VA does not consider cadets to be veterans and there was a court case which determined that cadets at military academies are not considered active-duty personnel and therefore ineligible for veterans benefits. I have a rather broad definition of what constitutes a veteran but a person who went to West Point for two years then dropped out is just a fucking college student.