Political Frailty

6 hours ago, Leon Brittan said:

I'm not a Labour man but anyone who stood up to the eu is a friend of mine 

Not like your namesake then! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Dead.

RIP. Genuinely great guy. Interviewed him for my uni dissertation. He was still working right to the end.

I find it remarkable that so far the only people in the political sphere who’ve managed to pay tribute are Conservative politicians and commentators.

Labour MP for 13 years and Labour Peer a further 19 and not a squeak from them. Did Brexit really poison the well that much? RIP.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

I find it remarkable that so far the only people in the political sphere who’ve managed to pay tribute are Conservative politicians and commentators.

Labour MP for 13 years and Labour Peer a further 19 and not a squeak from them. Did Brexit really poison the well that much? RIP.

Precisely.

Euroscepticism was the norm of the Labour Party until the 1990s with the likes of Barbara Castle, Tony Benn and Peter Shore all opposed to EEC integration, and then ever closer union. I'm not a Labour man by any means but they were first class politicians who stood up for the interests of the working classes and knew that the EU did not serve their interests whatsoever, even if many of the social policies were left leaning/"progressive".

With the departure of Gisela Stuart, Frank Field and Kate Hoey from the Commons, I believe Graham Stringer is now the last remaining eurosceptic Labour MP! How times have changed.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

I find it strange too.27 years in fact in the Lords and an active member until the end of pretty recently as utilizer said.Strange no obituaries left.Surely he will get a few?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Precisely.

Euroscepticism was the norm of the Labour Party until the 1990s with the likes of Barbara Castle, Tony Benn and Peter Shore all opposed EEC integration, and then ever closer union. I'm not a Labour man by any means but they were first class politicians who stood up for the interests of the working classes and knew that the EU did not serve their interests whatsoever, even if many of the social policies were left leaning/"progressive".

With the departure of Gisela Stuart, Frank Field and Kate Hoey from the Commons, I believe Graham Stringer is now the last remaining eurosceptic Labour MP! How times have changed.

Not forgetting Michael Foot and Dennis Skinner and Arthur Scargill

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

I find it strange too.27 years in fact in the Lords and an active member until the end of pretty recently as utilizer said.Strange no obituaries left.Surely he will get a few?

tbf the non-Brexit possibility is that most of the people who would pay tribute are gone now. His seats now 2 safe Tory seats so no Labour successors to pay tribute. From the Blair years, who heard anything of Anna Snelgrove in 10+ years? So that avenue is gone. The leadership only really refer to the big names dying as otherwise as this thread shows they'd be talking about nothing else. Most of his friends in the movement are dead now. He was last in the Labour party in 2002, so most of the Labour grassroots are likely too young to remember him being part of the party.

(Only 37 Labour MPs tenures date from before 2002 btw....feck, I'm getting old!)

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Not forgetting Michael Foot and Dennis Skinner and Arthur Scargill

Ruined a list of political heroes with that fucker Scargill there. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, msc said:

Agreed.

Not to mention one of the best adverts the world has ever seen for shaving the lot over dodgy combover

Still no QO for Stoddart.Starting to worry!

I'm relatively sure there'll be a Telegraph or Times obit eventually. Most likely this year, too!

On 09/10/2020 at 11:31, arghton said:

Former Somali prime minister Ali Galaydh dies at 78. Second somali PM to die this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Khalif_Galaydh

Also here's some other Somali politicians who could kick the bucket soon:

Umar Ghalib (b. 1930) former prime minister

Umar Ghalib reportedly dead. Seems nobody can agree on a spelling for his name or his age. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Umar Ghalib reportedly dead. Seems nobody can agree on a spelling for his name or his age. 

Damn, I noticed he was ailing on Monday! That was fast.

Kullervo Rainio, Finnish politician and wwII veteran dead at 96.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/56b21d42-9eb7-4ad4-9ba3-f2ed614e8248

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kullervo_Rainio

Rainio was one of the only politicians who opposed in some ways dictator-like president Urho Kekkonen in the 1970s and one of the few living notable Finnish wwII veterans.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 20:28, drol said:

Seemingly indestructible Edwin Edwards discharged after two days spent in hospital with "a bad cold" (no, not the COVID).

Back in with severe double pneumonia.

On 17/11/2020 at 23:01, msc said:

tbf the non-Brexit possibility is that most of the people who would pay tribute are gone now. His seats now 2 safe Tory seats so no Labour successors to pay tribute. From the Blair years, who heard anything of Anna Snelgrove in 10+ years? So that avenue is gone. The leadership only really refer to the big names dying as otherwise as this thread shows they'd be talking about nothing else. Most of his friends in the movement are dead now. He was last in the Labour party in 2002, so most of the Labour grassroots are likely too young to remember him being part of the party.

(Only 37 Labour MPs tenures date from before 2002 btw....feck, I'm getting old!)

I saw a tweet from her on Election night 2017 where from the swing in Swindon she was utterly convinced by the accuracy of the shock exit poll.

The Labour leader on Swindon council paid tribute to him.

On 18/11/2020 at 12:21, Sean said:

Still no QO for Stoddart.Starting to worry!

He seems like a good bet for Last Word, if they have a quieter week in the month or so.

6 hours ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

He seems like a good bet for Last Word, if they have a quieter week in the month or so.

I thought last word didn't count?

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

I thought last word didn't count?

The programme page will - if its written down - from 1st January 2021. No good for this year though.

On 18/11/2020 at 20:18, drol said:

Back in with severe double pneumonia.

Discharged.

On 30/07/2018 at 11:11, gcreptile said:

Now the mother, Shamim Begum, is also hospitalised:

https://nation.com.pk/30-Jul-2018/shamim-begum-hospitalised

Dead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drol said:

Dead.

Okay, it took me 10 seconds to work out this wasn’t about Shamima Begum off of citizenship crises.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Okay, it took me 10 seconds to work out this wasn’t about Shamima Begum off of citizenship crises.

Actually Begum is sort of Pakistani for Mrs. Her name was Shamim Akhtar.

On 03/11/2020 at 20:49, drol said:

Tarun Gogoi taken off life support and out of danger.

Tarun Gogoi back on life support.

18 hours ago, drol said:

Tarun Gogoi back on life support.

Dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1