Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

2 hours ago, drol said:

Former PMs Mabandla Dlamini (Prince Mabandla) and Ben Nsibandze are still alive at 90 and 89.

We should keep them in mind for the "oldest living former state leaders deadpool".

8 minutes ago, WEP said:

We should keep them in mind for the "oldest living former state leaders deadpool".

Still some years before they can get in the top 30.

A few Finnish president's chief of staffs have died lately (Antero Jyränki b. 1933 this year and Kauko Sipponen b. 1927 last year) so I decided to check how many of these from the era when the president had almost unlimited power (During especially Kekkonen's and Koivisto's tenures. Both are dead now) inside the country are still alive. Here:

Kurt Westerholm (b. 1920, died 1973) In office 1958-1966.

Richard Tötterman (b. 1926, died 2020) In office 1966-1970. Saw him on television a while ago. Active but very frail and couldn't properly hear what he's saying.

Juhani Perttunen (b. 1938) In office 1976-1984. Hasn't been active anywhere for years.

Jaakko Kalela (b. 1944) In office 1984-2005. Looks very frail in new photos.

Another group of frail people

edited 6.3.2021 to add deaths of Westerholm and Tötterman

On 09/12/2020 at 17:57, Joey Russ said:

Just to update on this, he’s on a ventilator but tested negative for covid

Bhattacharjee discharged, though he will remain on ventilator.

19 minutes ago, drol said:

Bhattacharjee discharged

That's faulty and should be sent back for a refund surely? It's supposed to recharge it, my phone one does.

• Haha 1

On 10/01/2020 at 12:28, Ulitzer95 said:

Thought I'd take this opportunity to look at how many WWII veterans from the three strands of government in the U.S. are still with us.

*snip*

There are still 18 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:

b. 1919: Lester L. Wolff
b. 1920: Neal Edward Smith
b. 1921: Mike McCormack
b. 1923: Bob Dole, Al Quie
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1925: Fletcher Thompson, G. William Whitehurst, Lucien Nedzi
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel Jr., Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

*snip*

Weston E. Vivian (wiki) who represented Michigan in Congress from 1967–67 died back on 4th December, aged 96.

Obit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wildstorm said:

Following the death of Valery Giscard D'estang Brian Mulroney  is one of the few cold  war leaders (of major countries)  still alive, along with Jimmy Carter and Mikhail Gorbachev. I wonder who will be the last one  standing ! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Following the death of Valery Giscard D'estang Brian Mulroney  is one of the few cold  war leaders (of major countries)  still alive, along with Jimmy Carter and Mikhail Gorbachev. I wonder who will be the last one  standing ! 

Elizabeth II.

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2020 at 12:28, Ulitzer95 said:

Thought I'd take this opportunity to look at how many WWII veterans from the three strands of government in the U.S. are still with us.

*snip*

There are still 17 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:

b. 1919: Lester L. Wolff
b. 1920: Neal Edward Smith
b. 1921: Mike McCormack
b. 1923: Bob Dole, Al Quie
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1925: Fletcher Thompson, G. William Whitehurst, Lucien Nedzi
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel Jr., Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

*snip*

And now Earl Hutto (wiki), Representative from Florida (1979–1995) is dead at 94.

• Like 2

On 22/09/2017 at 17:56, drol said:

Selim Hoss (1929)

Selim Hoss is not dead as they said, but looks very rough.

On 19/10/2020 at 02:37, CastAway said:

René Felber, president of Switzerland in 1992, dead at 87:

https://www.letemps.ch/suisse/lancien-conseiller-federal-rene-felber-decede 

Also mentioned in notable coronavirus victims, Felber's predecessor Flavio Cotti who was the president of Swirzerland in 1991 died at age 81 yesterday. https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/former-swiss-president-and-un-champion-flavio-cotti-dies--/46229758

On 11/07/2020 at 14:36, Ulitzer95 said:

Same source that informed me of Gerald Kaufman’s imminent demise tells me that the Lord Speaker, Norman Fowler, is seriously ill. In and out of hospital and staying at his home in the Isle of Man.

He is very much back in his Lords role and announced he is having the Covid vaccination today. 

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

He is very much back in his Lords role and announced he is having the Covid vaccination today. 

He looks pretty well - his first term as Lord Speaker ends on the 31st August next year and he certainly looks like he will still be in post till then. He is eligible for re-election through.

18 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

He looks pretty well - his first term as Lord Speaker ends on the 31st August next year and he certainly looks like he will still be in post till then. He is eligible for re-election through.

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

He’s not restanding, and he’s suffering from an undisclosed illness as I’ve mentioned here before. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He’s not restanding, and he’s suffering from an undisclosed illness as I’ve mentioned here before. 

Whatever it is he simply doesn't look like a good candidate for 2021.

Just now, The Old Crem said:

Whatever it is he simply doesn't look like a good candidate for 2021.

I think he has good days and bad days but I agree, I don’t think he’ll necessarily go next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He's pretty thin but he was never overweight. It looks like a slow burn illness rather than something sudden to me. 

For the first time in 69 years, Kerala Communist leaders K. R. Gowri Amma and V. S. Achuthanandan both fail to cast their votes. Gowri Amma has suffered a fall this summer and is still "recuperating", while Achuthanandan is unable to leave home. He suffered a cerebral hemorrhage in 2019.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2020 at 13:28, Ulitzer95 said:

b. 1923: William Winter, Al Quie (also listed above), Linwood Holton

Dead.

• Like 3