Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

2 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Who is still alive from the Reagan administration? Presumably most of them were veterans. 

Still quite a few. Just that they were largely too young to have served in WWII.

• Like 1

Stewart J. Greenleaf Sr., the longtime Republican state senator from Montgomery County who deeply influenced the direction of criminal justice in Pennsylvania, died on Tuesday night at Holy Redeemer Hospital in Abington, his family said.

Sen. Greenleaf, 81, was elected to the Pennsylvania Senate in 1978 and served until 2019 after announcing that he would not seek reelection.

SC

On 21/12/2019 at 15:46, DevonDeathTrip said:

TJ Ducklo 31, Joe Biden's press secretary, has been diagnosed with lung cancer. 

Not an update on his health, but Ducklo acted like a bit of a prick recently and as such is on one week suspension with no pay: 

On 10/01/2021 at 15:35, Thatcher said:

Tebboune back to Germany following further complications.

Tebboune back to Algeria.

On 09/01/2021 at 16:10, arghton said:

Lester L. Wolff celebrated his 102th birthday a few days ago. 102 and using social media. :birthday:

Didn't look that good in January:

On the other hand it's pretty admirable that a 102-year old can listen and engage in conversation for 1 hour and 18 minutes and you can mostly hear what he's speaking. According to himself, he exercises every day and if you look at his twitter (@RepWolff) he tweets nearly every day, even though many of the tweets are pretty hard to understand. One of the healthiest 102-year olds i've seen though.

20 minutes ago, arghton said:

Didn't look that good in January

On the other hand it's pretty admirable that a 102-year old can listen and engage in conversation for 1 hour and 18 minutes and you can mostly hear what he's speaking. According to himself, he exercises every day and if you look at his twitter (@RepWolff) he tweets nearly every day, even though many of the tweets are pretty hard to understand. One of the healthiest 102-year olds i've seen though.

I wouldn't go that far.

• Like 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

I wouldn't go that far.

I haven't seen many 102-year olds, though

• Haha 1

Kansas Republican State Sen. Bud Estes has died, his family announced in a news release Saturday morning. He was 74.

Estes represented District 38, which includes Dodge City and Liberal.

Senate president Ty Masterson said that Estes was well respected and was known as the “best dressed senator.”

"He should have no trouble looking sharp in that casket as he gets the hell out of Dodge," Masterson said.
SC

• Like 1

On 12/02/2021 at 14:11, Joey Russ said:

Not an update on his health, but Ducklo acted like a bit of a prick recently and as such is on one week suspension with no pay: 

Ducklo cannot duck from the scandal and now resigns:

9 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Ducklo cannot duck from the scandal and now resigns:

Thoughtfully raising his profile to the point his q/o's are assured if the treatment goes tits up. 

And he's only 32 - DDP points aplenty, then

On 18/01/2017 at 05:48, Thatcher said:

Here is a list of some of the oldest living former Presidents of South American countries. I've only included those that are 80 and over. There's quite a few in their 70s too, although they seem to have a knack at sticking round for a while.

Francisco Morales Bermúdez, Peru, (1975-1980), 04/10/1921 (95)

Belisario Betancur Cuartas, Colombia, (1982-1986), 04/02/1923 (93)
Guillermo Rodríguez, Ecuador, (1972-1976), 04/11/1924 (92)

Reynaldo Bignone, Argentina, (1982-1983), 21/01/1928 (88)
Luis García Meza, Bolivia, (1980-1981), 08/08/1929 (87)
José Sarney, Brazil, (1985-1990), 24/04/1930 (86)

Fernando Henrique Cardoso, Brazil, (1995-2002), 18/06/1930 (86)

Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada, Bolivia, (1993-1997), (2002-2003), 01/07/1930 (86)

Carlos Menem, Argentina, (1989-1999), 02/07/1930 (86)

Isabel Martínez de Perón, Argentina, (1974-1976), 04/02/1931 (85)
José Mujica, Uruguay, (2010-2015), 20/04/1935 (81)

Rodrigo Borja Cevallos, Ecuador, (1988-1992), 19/06/1935 (81)
Julio María Sanguinetti, Uruguay, (1985-1990), (1995-2000), 06/01/1936 (81)

Ronald Venetiaan, Suriname, (1991-1996), (2000-2010), 18/06/1936 (80)

4/10 dead in four years.

Death notice in The Times (physical version, 16 Feb, pg. 51) for the 4th Earl of Selborne (wiki):

SELBORNE John Roundell Palmer, the Earl of Selborne, died peacefully at home
on 12 February 2021. aged 80. Private funeral. Memorial service to follow. 

Joined the House of Lords in 1971, retired in March 2020. Left the Conservative Party in 2019 over Brexit/Boris.

0037F75B-7499-4B83-9B1E-AB36BAFB7037.jpeg

• Like 1

Good old deadpooling advice I got reading newspapers today.

Libyan president Fayez al-Sarraj received 5-hours surgery in Rome to remove a (malignant?) tumour. He should be back soon according to presidency, while Italian media suppose he is so frail he will resign from every post soon.

• Like 1

Former President of Ecuador Guillermo Rodriguez Lara Gustavo Noboa dead at 83.

• Like 1

Former Assam CM Prafulla Mahanta has been in and out of hospital  recently. Likely goner before the end of the year.

US Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is 79 today.:party: Looking ok recently but still one to keep an eye on after those pictures in October last year. Looks like it could be amyloidosis.Possibly due to blood thinners though also as he has a history of heart disease.

Image result for mitch mcconnell lips and hand     Image result for mitch mcconnell lips and hand

• Like 1

Connecticut State Auditor Rob Kane has died at 53. The Republican was also a former State Senator. 

Kane represented the state’s 32nd district for eight years. He became one of Connecticut’s two state auditors in 2017.

Police found Kane dead at his home Friday night — after his family asked for a welfare check. Kane’s death was sudden and unexpected, and police said they’re waiting on an autopsy to determine the cause of death. But they said his death doesn’t appear to be suspicious.

SC

• Like 1

Mustafa ben Halim dead at 100. I'm looking for further confirmation, though.

• Like 3

On 31/01/2021 at 19:08, Octopus of Odstock said:

No social distancing so that's him gone in 3 weeks

Ah, you genius!!!!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, drol said:

Ah, you genius!!!!

Just saw the news and thought the same myself. Ignore the 'rona rules and it comes back to bite ya

29 minutes ago, drol said:

Mustafa ben Halim dead at 100. I'm looking for further confirmation, though.

Marked dead on wikipedia with that same source. Not in any other papers (I think) but I'd be suprised if he wasn't dead

5 minutes ago, arghton said:

Marked dead on wikipedia with that same source. Not in any other papers (I think) but I'd be suprised if he wasn't dead

Lybia Akhbar is a big media outlet, but they could still have published a prewritten breaking news inadvertently. He won't get many obits, but a Guardian one is likely as his son got one in 2009.

• Like 1