Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes, and going back further, wasn't a Northern Irish MP killed at his surgery in the early 90s? I can't think who though.

Robert Bradford in 1981. 

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes, and going back further, wasn't a Northern Irish MP killed at his surgery in the early 90s? I can't think who though.

Robert Bradford was shot at a surgery in 1981. UUP MP.

Whatever ones politics it's a very very grim day when an elected politician is violently attacked with murderous intent /killed  doing their job .

Desperation  sad for their loved ones and dangerous for our democracy. 

I really hope David pulls through but I fear the worst.

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just been told over the phone that he's died. How awful.

Just terrible.No other words for it.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just been told over the phone that he's died. How awful.

Essex police confirmed it. Horrible.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Robert Bradford was shot at a surgery in 1981. UUP MP.

I imagine Northern Irish Mp’s have security at all times when meeting the public.

Poor man know one deserves to die in such tragic circumstances, he was only doing his job helping his constituents and the community, thoughts are with his friends and family who would never of thought this morning when he left his house that he would never comeback so sad and tragic. RIP. 

• Like 1

Ugh, horrible. Absolutely horrible. Imagine doing your job and some lunatic kills you for whatever reason. No words. Poor man, Poor family. 

• Like 4

Killed for doing his job. Appalling news.

• Like 2

A few years ago I met someone who had been an assistant to him. He said how nice he was as a boss

• Like 1

Safe to say Blair won't miss him.

Amess was one of the few MPs left in Westminster who was still actively trying to get Blair prosecuted for the Iraq War.

56 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Plus in 2000 Nigel Jones Mp was injured and his assistant Andrew Pennington was fatally wounded in an attack on his constituency surgery. 

He used to be my MP when I lived in Cheltenham

19 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Amess was one of the few MPs left in Westminster who was still actively trying to get Blair prosecuted for the Iraq War.

One of the very few things I agreed with Amess on tbh.

The murder of David Amess led me to look at the Wiki page for the 2016 by-election, triggered by the murder of Jo Cox.

Richard Edmonds (wiki), who was a very senior member of the far right British National Party (and no less than Deputy Leader under John Tyndall from 1982 to 1999) stood in that 2016 by-election.

Turns out he died on 23rd December, aged 77. We likely missed it because the only British paper that reported on it at the time was the Morning Star.

Unknown.jpeg.7aa27bb73aa69febea11b2981ec611e0.jpeg

I'm going to see Jonathan Pie tonight.  Hope this doesn't cause him to tone down his rants.

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm going to see Jonathan Pie tonight.  Hope this doesn't cause him to tone down his rants.

There's nothing wrong with Pie's rants IMO. They're impassioned but he doesn't dehumanise anyone.

And unlike the Deputy Leader of the Opposition, he doesn't go around calling opposition members "scum". :rolleyes:

Interesting that at the bottom of the article reporting his death, the BBC says that the murder of Jo Cox saw spending on MP's security rise from £170, 576 in 2015/16 to £4.5 million just 2 years later. I wonder what that's spent on, because as previously said, the whole purpose of surgeries is the chance to speak to your representative face-to-face.

5 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Interesting that at the bottom of the article reporting his death, the BBC says that the murder of Jo Cox saw spending on MP's security rise from £170, 576 in 2015/16 to £4.5 million just 2 years later. I wonder what that's spent on, because as previously said, the whole purpose of surgeries is the chance to speak to your representative face-to-face.

A lot of the money is probably spent on raised security at Westminster, but MPs are encouraged to do background checks on the people they're due to meet and ensure they are indeed constituents. I don't know if there's a cost involved in that?

This will probably see a lot of MPs abandon face-to-face surgeries sadly. Some already did after Cox's death. Though I seem some have already expressed the fact that they absolutely refuse to stop doing them.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That might have been his finest hour, this wasn't: 

• Like 1