Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

A lot of the money is probably spent on raised security at Westminster, but MPs are encouraged to do background checks on the people they're due to meet and ensure they are indeed constituents. I don't know if there's a cost involved in that?

This will probably see a lot of MPs abandon face-to-face surgeries sadly. Some already did after Cox's death. Though I seem some have already expressed the fact that they absolutely refuse to stop doing them.

Probably a cost in terms of their staff members having to check the full electoral register (not the public one) instead of doing other duties.

On 15/10/2021 at 17:26, maryportfuncity said:

That might have been his finest hour, this wasn't: 

Was just thinking of this earlier.

The full clip of all the celebs promoting the "anti-Cake campaign" is on YouTube.

Those who fell foul to it:

Sir Bernard Ingham (1932–2023)
Bernard Manning (1930–2007)
Bruno Brookes (b. 1959)
Rolf Harris (b. 1930)
Noel Edmonds (b. 1948)
Jimmy Greaves (1940–2021)
Sir David Amess (1952–2021)

Ingham feels like a DL name for 2022 to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The full clip of all the celebs promoting it is on YouTube.

Full list of the names that fell foul to it:

Sir Bernard Ingham (b. 1932)
Bruno Brookes (b. 1959)
Rolf Harris (b. 1930)
Noel Edmonds (b. 1948)

Perhaps the killer was a cake dealer? 

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The full clip of all the celebs promoting the "anti-Cake campaign" is on YouTube.

Those who fell foul to it:

Sir Bernard Ingham (b. 1932)
Bruno Brookes (b. 1959)
Rolf Harris (b. 1930)
Noel Edmonds (b. 1948)

A few low hangers in there tbh, Harris (obviously) and Brookes had a heart attack in his mid 40's, smoking related. Dunno if he quit or not.

• Thanks 1

Just noted on the news that Amess was a keen gerontologist and used to hold an annual party for all of his constituents aged 100+.

Wonder if he ever visited DL Forums?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just noted on the news that Amess was a keen gerontologist and used to hold an annual party for all of his constituents aged 100+.

Wonder if he ever visited DL Forums?

His mum lived to 104 through she wasn’t a constituent of his as she lived in East London. 

• Like 1

The assailant was a Somalian national. Still no motive given.

Police are supposedly looking for evidence of threats made and/or planning prior to the attack, as they believe it was planned.

I have just done research (Wikipedia) on US politicians killed or wounded while member of congress etc. There seems to have been a 30 year gap and then one person injured in 2011 and two in 2017.

I'm trying to find out if any US politicians have security at meetings with the public but I guess it could be personal choice.

52 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I have just done research (Wikipedia) on US politicians killed or wounded while member of congress etc. There seems to have been a 30 year gap and then one person injured in 2011 and two in 2017.

I'm trying to find out if any US politicians have security at meetings with the public but I guess it could be personal choice.

I imagine they must do. With how heated American politics is. 

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The assailant was a Somalian national. Still no motive given.

Police are supposedly looking for evidence of threats made and/or planning prior to the attack, as they believe it was planned.

Sky News has just confirmed  he is a British National.

So second MP dead in 5 years and 4 months. There were 4 dead in roughly 11 years from 1979-1990 during a volatile time. Will this be the last MP to die this decade? There's no doubt we're going through a volatile time now, looking at a previous pattern you'd say no ,but it doesn't always work like that. I don't know why but I feel this could be the end of MPs surgeries. You could see multiple different groups/people wanting to murder an MP.

1) white supremacists

2) Islamic extremists

3) anti lockdown ,anti vaccine passport 

4) economic victims , those who've lost their business 

5) mentally ill ( there's a mental illness pandemic coming)

6) those angry that their relatives died during pandemic & want to lash out at the government.

Who'd be an MP during these times? Sir David Amess shared many of my views and beliefs but in a few we differed.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

So second MP dead in 5 years and 4 months. There were 4 dead in roughly 11 years from 1979-1990 during a volatile time. Will this be the last MP to die this decade? There's no doubt we're going through a volatile time now, looking at a previous pattern you'd say no ,but it doesn't always work like that. I don't know why but I feel this could be the end of MPs surgeries. You could see multiple different groups/people wanting to murder an MP.

1) white supremacists

2) Islamic extremists

6) those angry that their relatives died during pandemic & want to lash out at the government.

Who'd be an MP during these times? Sir David Amess shared many of my views and beliefs but in a few we differed.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

1 2 and 5 seem the most likely scenarios.

• Like 1

Has been declared a terrorist incident according to latest news

Just now, time said:

Has been declared a terrorist incident according to latest news

Not surprised based on earlier reports developing throughout the day.Again eerily similar to Jo Cox's murderer who was a terrorist.Lets pray it isn't part of a wider terrorist plot.

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Not surprised based on earlier reports developing throughout the day.Again eerily similar to Jo Cox's murderer who was a terrorist.Lets pray it isn't part of a wider terrorist plot.

The police seem to be working in the assumption  no one else is involved as they not currently looking for anyone else. 

Manmohan has dengue, but is now "out of danger".

15 hours ago, the_engineer said:

1) white supremacists

2) Islamic extremists

7) Remainers

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

7) Remainers

Absolutely. I've seen some of the vitriol being thrown around by them aswell. 

16 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Absolutely. I've seen some of the vitriol being thrown around by them aswell. 

Although as someone who fits 3 of the 6, mysteriously I've never murdered anyone, because life being shit isn't an excuse to be a cunt to other people, and the best way to punish a politician is to vote them out in my book.

(I've never understand the "kill them" train of thought either tbh. David Cameron might be my most loathed living politician, the useless waster, yet I don't wish violence on him. He's going to live another 30-40 odd years knowing he fucked up his dream job, that's more than enough for me!)

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, msc said:

(I've never understand the "kill them" train of thought either tbh. David Cameron might be my most loathed living politician, the useless waster, yet I don't wish violence on him. He's going to live another 30-40 odd years knowing he fucked up his dream job, that's more than enough for me!)

Oh, I could give quite a long list of those I'd be happy to see strung up. 

To  relieve the mood following yesterday's events, Matt Hancock has apparently lost his UN Job

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 15/10/2021 at 06:55, MadMac said:

Bill Clinton reportedly hospitalised with sepsis. Reportedly “recovering “ and “in good spirits”. Perhaps one to watch for 2022?

Definitely one to consider. He's had health issues before, two heart surgeries, another chest surgery for a partial collapsed lung back in 2005. In general you can definitely see compared to his wife, Bill Clinton is definitely a bit more on the unhealthy side of things.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2021 at 17:30, arghton said:

ahmadzai.png.531b158bc1702d4568027ce432a8aa29.png

Ahmad Shah Ahmadzai afghanistanflag2001.thumb.png.8df34d707cbab5e4dbb6e1e7210bedd5.png(1944-) Prime Minister of Afghanistan 1995-1996. Pictured around 2021.

Former Mujahideen fighter. Fled Afghanistan in 1996 when Taliban invaded, lived in exile in London and Istanbul and returned to Afghanistan in 2001.

Dead.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, msc said:

I don't think being PM was his "dream job." If he had a dream job, I suspect it'd be one where he did almost no work and made a lot of money.