Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Thailand has a lot of politicians with pool potential. Not only the playboy king who looks really bad and could be seriously ill, but there are four former Prime Ministers over 85:

Thanin Kraivichien, 94: Far-right military ruler for one year 1976-1977. Dissolved parliament, burned books and removed political parties. Kicked out by the military.

Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, 89: Served one year 1996-1997. Nicknamed "Big Jiew", King Bhumibol did not trust him. Remarried once again a couple of years ago at 86.

Anand Panyarachun, 89: Prime Minister 1991-1992 and again in 1992. Considered a good Prime Minister for the country, critic of the current king.

Suchinda Kraprayoon, 88: Prime Minister in 1992, violently supressed protests. Prime Minister during the Black May. 

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Former Labour MP for Dundee West from 1979 until 2005 Ernie Ross is a goner, aged 79: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/labour-party-north-east-scotland-twitter-b960952.html

A much better MP than the two amateurs who succeeded him. Though granted, Chris Laws of the SNP is better than Jim McGovern who was fifty shades of awful.

McGovern isn't the healthiest of individuals either and strikes me as someone who won't be around in 5-10 years time. Worth keeping an eye on.

On 15/10/2021 at 20:29, the_engineer said:

So second MP dead in 5 years and 4 months. There were 4 dead in roughly 11 years from 1979-1990 during a volatile time. Will this be the last MP to die this decade? There's no doubt we're going through a volatile time now, looking at a previous pattern you'd say no ,but it doesn't always work like that. I don't know why but I feel this could be the end of MPs surgeries. You could see multiple different groups/people wanting to murder an MP.

1) white supremacists

2) Islamic extremists

3) anti lockdown ,anti vaccine passport 

4) economic victims , those who've lost their business 

5) mentally ill ( there's a mental illness pandemic coming)

6) those angry that their relatives died during pandemic & want to lash out at the government.

Of the seven MPs killed in the past 100 years five were murdered by Irish Republican terrorists.

Oh wow.... big one. At one time, he could have been president, until the Iraq debacle destroyed his reputation.

I wonder if he actually wasn't vaccinated - or already had secret health issues.

So among the Republicans, we've had Shultz, Rumsfeld and Powell this year, so far... while Kissinger and Baker survive.

• Like 3

Just now, gcreptile said:

Oh wow.... big one. At one time, he could have been president, until the Iraq debacle destroyed his reputation.

I wonder if he actually wasn't vaccinated - or already had secret health issues.

So among the Republicans, we've had Shultz, Rumsfeld and Powell this year, so far... while Kissinger and Baker survive.

Think he had cancer possibly prostate 

• Like 1

Just six days ago I was wondering why Powell was missing from Blinken's twitter pictures posted in the Kissinger thread.

bakeralbright.png.7eb68594b22457d757252df6194d1f3a.png

James Baker, 91 and Madeleine Albright, 84 in one of the photos.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

The BBC are reporting his family have said he was fully vaccinated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Yeah he was jabbed

I'd imagine he'd an underlying condition.  He may well have survived if he hadn't it

perhaps the condition was being 5 years over the average life expectancy

• Like 1

I liked Powell for a while.  Then I didn't after see him make the case for invading Iraq in the UN.  He played both sides and always blamed others. A true politician.....  Anyways, RIP.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Think he had cancer possibly prostate 

Not colin cancer?

:hatsoff:

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Apparently he had multiple myeloma (according to CNBC) and/or prostate cancer (had survived it once) and parkinson's disease (CBS).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, arghton said:

Apparently he had multiple myeloma (according to CNBC) and/or prostate cancer (had survived it once) and parkinson's disease (CBS).

Also Rumsfeld had multiple myeloma! It clearly has something for Republicans.

7 minutes ago, arghton said:

Yeah that would do it alright. Sounds like even a bad cold might have done for him

Hmm.... okay, while the biggest COVID danger seems to be over now, it's still dangerous with co-morbidities. Which means that all the old people with their chronic cancers, prostate, myeloma, leukemia, are suddenly in higher danger, because we, as a species, have now decided to live with COVID. We're mostly vaccinated, yes, but with potentially millions of asypmtomatic COVID-positive people running around, there will be quite a few victims. I mean, not just Powell, but Robert Durst right now as well, or Tony Marschall, as you can see in the D-A-CH-thread. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Yeah that would do it alright. Sounds like even a bad cold might have done for him

Not forgetting that a bad cold is also a coronavirus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Hmm.... okay, while the biggest COVID danger seems to be over now, it's still dangerous with co-morbidities. Which means that all the old people with their chronic cancers, prostate, myeloma, leukemia, are suddenly in higher danger, because we, as a species, have now decided to live with COVID. We're mostly vaccinated, yes, but with potentially millions of asypmtomatic COVID-positive people running around, there will be quite a few victims. I mean, not just Powell, but Robert Durst right now as well, or Tony Marschall, as you can see in the D-A-CH-thread. 

People with serious underlying health conditions have always been at risk of dying from respiratory viruses.The same sort of folks you would expect to die of flu over winter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Don't forget the indestructible Bob Dole is somehow still alive and kicking.