Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Not forgetting that a bad cold is also a coronavirus.

Being struck by lightning is also a coronavirus.

Any lists of antivax nuthead politicians yet? Only ones I'm currently aware of are Brazil's Bolsonaro and Finnish political joke and former steroid-using weightlifter Ano Turtiainen.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/18/czech-president-cannot-perform-duties-due-to-ill-health-official

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/czech-senate-chief-says-ailing-president-unable-fulfil-duties-2021-10-18/

Also, an update on Milos Zeman:

Czech President Milos Zeman is currently unable to carry out his duties, the head of parliament's upper house said on Monday, citing a report he had requested from the hospital where Zeman has been in intensive care for more than a week.

"In the (hospital's) opinion, given the character of President Zeman's underlying illness, the long-term prognosis of his health condition is highly uncertain and thus the possibility of his return to performing work duties in the coming weeks is evaluated as unlikely."

I can't get over that Colin Powell was 84. 84!!! But, of course, 9/11 and the Bush administration was 20 years ago now, making Powell around 64 at the time which seems right.

• Like 4

Was watching the tributes from both houses earlier to Sir David Amess... two things of note:

1) Lord Ken Clark, 81, looking slightly better than he has done in recent times. May see a couple of more years if he remains as active in the Lords as he was in the Commons.

2) Baroness Sal Brinton, 66, who was Acting Lib Dem Leader (Dec 2019–Jan 2020) noted that Amess regularly called her to see how she was doing whilst she was "seriously ill" in 2020. Now she does seem to look ok for now, though she has noticeably lost weight and her contribution to the House today was done virtually.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Was watching the tributes from both houses earlier to Sir David Amess... two things of note:

1) Lord Ken Clark, 81, looking slightly better than he has done in recent times. May see a couple of more years if he remains as active in the Lords as he was in the Commons.

2) Baroness Sal Brinton, 66, who was Acting Lib Dem Leader (Dec 2019–Jan 2020) noted that Amess regularly called her to see how she was doing whilst she was "seriously ill" in 2020. Now she does seem to look ok for now, though she has noticeably lost weight and her contribution to the House today was done virtually.

Sal Brinton has Rheumatoid Arthritis and uses a wheelchair regularly anyway.

29 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Hmmmm

Maybe he's become a fitness freak all of a sudden but doesn't strike me as the type

3976.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

That is an extreme amount of weight, even if he went the healthy route via diet and exercise. I don't see anyway that is possible without some underlying health issues, maybe thyroid issues. My gut says that seems a bit like cancer no?

6 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

That is an extreme amount of weight, even if he went the healthy route via diet and exercise. I don't see anyway that is possible without some underlying health issues, maybe thyroid issues. My gut says that seems a bit like cancer no?

His neck looks weird as well. Somewhat twisted. 

On 18/10/2021 at 11:31, dodrade said:

Of the seven MPs killed in the past 100 years five were murdered by Irish Republican terrorists.

Yes but they aren't really a threat as before, compared to the others. Though It's not beyond the realms of impossibility the IRA could murder another MP.

On 16/10/2021 at 12:49, msc said:

Although as someone who fits 3 of the 6, mysteriously I've never murdered anyone, because life being shit isn't an excuse to be a cunt to other people, and the best way to punish a politician is to vote them out in my book.

(I've never understand the "kill them" train of thought either tbh. David Cameron might be my most loathed living politician, the useless waster, yet I don't wish violence on him. He's going to live another 30-40 odd years knowing he fucked up his dream job, that's more than enough for me!)

I think people just let their reptilian part of the brain (the basal ganglia) and animalistic savagery take over. If the lights went out tomorrow and the food starts to disappear give it a few days /weeks. Give it your child screaming in agony from hunger and you'd cave your neighbours head in for a loaf of bread , especially if it were to feed your kids. The current society keeps the veneer of civility but deep down humans are animals, and will go back to primative behaviours very fast if society should ever collapse.

On 20/10/2020 at 13:02, arghton said:

There are multiple parliament members who served/born before 1928:

Sauli Hautala (b. 1927) Parliament member 1975-1983 and 1987-1991.

1928-1930, didn't serve:

Helvi Hyrynkangas (b. 1928) Parliament member 1979-1983.

Hautala and Hyrynkangas dead according to their wikipedia pages. 

On 10/04/2014 at 01:28, CaptainChorizo said:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/Former-T-T-president-ANR-Robinson-dies

A N R Robinson

Former President of Trinidad & Tobago is dead at 87

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/10/21/yasin-abu-bakr-has-died/

Yasin Abu Bakr (born Lennox Philip, 1941-2021) has died aged 79-80. He was the leader of Jamaat al Muslimeen, a radical Islamist group that attempted a coup against A. N. R. Robinson's unpopular government on 27th of July 1990. He founded the group in the 70s after living in Gaddafi's Libya.

For a couple of days the group held multiple people including Robinson as hostage, who was beaten and shot in the leg.

The group surrendered on 1st of August 1990. Robinson was the Prime Minister until 1991 and later the President, Abu Bakr spent two years in jail.

Talking about Trinidad and Tobago, the fifth Prime Minister (1995-2001) and  Basdeo Panday (1933-) sounds horrible:

Still seems sharp though

16 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Former Labour MP and current member of the House of Lords Frank Field has a terminal illlness

Ouch. In hospice care too. An easy hit. Get him on DL if he survives the rest of the year.

• Shocked 1

36 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ouch. In hospice care too. An easy hit. Get him on DL if he survives the rest of the year.

I saw that earlier and thought "I wonder how long that'll stay off the forum". 

Cheeky sneak unique picks are difficult to find these days. :D

But yes, Drop 40, Deathlist, if he makes Jan 1st. Sounds like a big if.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Someone might bag him for the Advent Avalanche if it runs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Apparently he has been discharged from the hospice - through I’m not sure if that is because he will die very soon or because his condition has stabilised enough so that he might make 2022. 

I will be a bit surprised if he makes the death list through even if he is still alive by then. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Apparently he has been discharged from the hospice - through I’m not sure if that is because he will die very soon or because his condition has stabilised enough so that he might make 2022. 

I will be a bit surprised if he makes the death list through even if he is still alive by then. 

Calling for euthanasia suggests months to go, tbh, but then, Brian Rix did that and just keeled over weeks later.

DL wise - Jowell made it, and while she held Cabinet posts, Field had more of a TV presence - especially in the last 5 years with Brexit and his disdain for all things Corbyn. I could certainly see them adding him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Going home to die?

Just been told via a reliable Labour source that Field has a very aggressive cancer in stage 4. May not see the New Year if that’s the case.