Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I always wonder why he went for a Birmingham seat when there were several London vacancies in 2010 they could have parachuted him into.

There is of course an extremely loose link between today's two big deaths. Sidney Poiter/Potter/Harry Belafonte is referenced in the first joke in Only Fools and Horses episode 1, which was set in Peckham, whose MP the last 40 years has been Harriet Harman, wife of Jack Dromey. 

If someone else loosely linked to OFAH dies this weekend we have the most 3-2-1 clue "rule of 3" ever...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Dromey never looked a picture of health.

Another who doesn’t is Farage. Looks like he could go any minute in all honesty. He revealed on GBNews last night that he had testicular cancer in the past. Was that public knowledge before now?

Yeah it was. He has spoken about it several times before. 

21 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He revealed on GBNews last night that he had testicular cancer in the past. Was that public knowledge before now?

Yes. How very fitting that he has only one ball.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Dromey never looked a picture of health.

Another who doesn’t is Farage. Looks like he could go any minute in all honesty. He revealed on GBNews last night that he had testicular cancer in the past. Was that public knowledge before now?

Its fairly well known he is a cancerous ballbag, but don’t know if that answers your question.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Its fairly well known he is a cancerous ballbag, but don’t know if that answers your question.

I’ll pass that on next time I see him down at the local, Windsor. ;) He’s actually a very good bloke, whatever you think of his political views. Instantly welcomes chat with strangers, and there are few ppl in the limelight who are that friendly. Some are total nobs full stop. A few MPs come to mind. Jess Phillips is one. Her personable public image is a facade. Tory MP Tom Tugendhat is another cunt. Steve Coogan and Su Pollard are to date the worst though. One of my mates asked Coogan for a photo and he told him to fuck off.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Jess Phillips is one. Her personable public image is a facade. 

Point of order, mate, I thought her public image was that of a sod! :D

Although - Ruth Davidson was friendly (and has some sound people backing her as genuine friends) and tried to be helpful on local matters, or at least her team did, Nicola Sturgeon is genuinely good on the street sans camera just chatting to folk (she is also quite clearly very shrewd at reading people - more than most in her party tbh), Tom Harris was a nasty sod with an ego far bigger than his career merited, there are some genuinely nice local MPs/MSPs for the Nats but John Mason certainly isn't one of them, at all, the late Michael Martin was a man with a lot to say but little of substance to mention, and seemed unable to answer school questions - this was when he was Speaker. It's no quite having drinks with Lord Tebbit (;))  but yeah, I agree in general, there's cunts and nice folk across the spectrum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Yeah it was. He has spoken about it several times before. 

Had it when he was in his 20's I think. Wasn't recently anyway

1 hour ago, msc said:

Point of order, mate, I thought her public image was that of a sod! :D

Although - Ruth Davidson was friendly (and has some sound people backing her as genuine friends) and tried to be helpful on local matters, or at least her team did, Nicola Sturgeon is genuinely good on the street sans camera just chatting to folk (she is also quite clearly very shrewd at reading people - more than most in her party tbh), Tom Harris was a nasty sod with an ego far bigger than his career merited, there are some genuinely nice local MPs/MSPs for the Nats but John Mason certainly isn't one of them, at all, the late Michael Martin was a man with a lot to say but little of substance to mention, and seemed unable to answer school questions - this was when he was Speaker. It's no quite having drinks with Lord Tebbit (;))  but yeah, I agree in general, there's cunts and nice folk across the spectrum. 

Yes. The public image of famous ppl really tells you very little about their actual character. Some are very good actors and invent whole new personalities for themselves when the cameras are rolling. As the saying goes folks, never meet your heroes etc etc 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes. The public image of famous ppl really tells you very little about their actual character. Some are very good actors and invent whole new personalities for themselves when the cameras are rolling. As the saying goes folks, never meet your heroes etc etc 

Julie Andrews is one. Relatives saw her in Austria stick her fingers up at a crowd waiting after she filmed some music special in the 1980’s.

So Harriet Harman's marriage is now an all female short list of 1

• Haha 1

On 06/01/2022 at 13:47, arghton said:

Nursultan Nazarbayev has reportedly left the country "for medical reasons"/disappeared, Russian paratroopers trying to help Kassym-Jomart Tokayev in crushing the protests.

Can't deny I'm praying for an arab spring domino effect to happen there. (Russia's Putin, Tajikistan's Emomali Rahmon, Turkmenistan's Gurbanguly "Horse" Mälikgulyýewiç Berdimuhamedow, Uzbekistan's Shavkat Mirziyoyev and Azerbaijan's Ilham Aliyev)

Nursultan has not left the country.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2021 at 23:24, arghton said:

Also here's a list of the first leaders of countries that gained independence when the Soviet Union collapsed (and before):

Azerbaijan (18th of October 1991):

Living from before independence:

Abdurrahman Vazirov (1930-) First Secretary 1988-1990.

After independence:

Ayaz Mutallibov (1938-) First President 1991-1992. Son died in 2011, widowed in 2019.

Hasan Hasanov (1940-) First Prime Minister 1990-1992.

Abdurrahman Vazirov, former communist leader of Azerbaijan 1988-1990, diplomat and predecessor of Ayaz Mutallibov dead at 91: https://vesti.az/Политика/skoncalsya-abdurraxman-vezirov-453898

He shared Gorbachev's values but could not reform Azerbaijan. During the events of Black January in 1990 he left the Azerbaijan SSR but apparently later returned.

There's a pretty large amount of nonagenarians on that list I quoted, oldest being Nizoramo Zaripova and Karl Vaino, former communist leaders of Tajikistan and Estonia. I'm not 100% sure Vaino is still alive considering he consumed a lot of alcohol back in the day but his grandson is the Kremlin Chief of Staff so his death would probably have been reported. Both will be 99 this year. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

On 20/09/2021 at 22:41, drol said:

President of European Parliament David Sassoli hospitalised with non-COVID pneumonia. 

Rumours around he is suffering from some serious illness lately. 

https://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2022/01/10/ep-chief-sassoli-hospitalized-in-italy_10aafcb7-925b-4020-9223-a1132d3343c4.html

European Parliament President David Sassoli hospitalised due to a "serious complication due to the dysfunction of the immune system"

Apparently since the 26th of December...

All of his active duties have been cancelled.

• Shocked 1

8 hours ago, arghton said:

Abdurrahman Vazirov, former communist leader of Azerbaijan 1988-1990, diplomat and predecessor of Ayaz Mutallibov dead at 91: https://vesti.az/Политика/skoncalsya-abdurraxman-vezirov-453898

He shared Gorbachev's values but could not reform Azerbaijan. During the events of Black January in 1990 he left the Azerbaijan SSR but apparently later returned.

There's a pretty large amount of nonagenarians on that list I quoted, oldest being Nizoramo Zaripova and Karl Vaino, former communist leaders of Tajikistan and Estonia. I'm not 100% sure Vaino is still alive considering he consumed a lot of alcohol back in the day but his grandson is the Kremlin Chief of Staff so his death would probably have been reported. Both will be 99 this year. 

Vaino's death would be huge in Estonia, so be sure he is still alive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drol said:

Vaino's death would be huge in Estonia, so be sure he is still alive.

Which means it could also be placed in the Estonia thread.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Cunto said:

Which means it will/would be better placed in the Estonia thread.

Do you have anything constructive to contribute on here?

You don't even report any deaths anymore, or even discuss anything. You just moan at other members and post sarcastic taunts.

Seriously, go have a wank or something if you need to release some steam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Do you have anything constructive to contribute on here anymore?

You don't even report any deaths anymore, or even discuss anything. You just moan at other members and post sarcastic taunts.

Seriously, go have a wank or something. 

That would be a resounding No.

Just now, Sir Cunto said:

That would be a resounding No.

Then fuck off and find a forum you enjoy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Then fuck off and find a forum you enjoy.

He enjoys being a pest here.

Just now, Toast said:

He enjoys being a pest here.

That’s rich coming from you.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, arghton said:

https://www.ansa.it/english/news/politics/2022/01/10/ep-chief-sassoli-hospitalized-in-italy_10aafcb7-925b-4020-9223-a1132d3343c4.html

European Parliament President David Sassoli hospitalised due to a "serious complication due to the dysfunction of the immune system"

Apparently since the 26th of December...

All of his active duties have been cancelled.

Dead.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

Well, back to the cup drawing board I guess

On 20/09/2021 at 14:41, drol said:

President of European Parliament David Sassoli hospitalised with non-COVID pneumonia. 

Rumours around he is suffering from some serious illness lately. 

Guessing this turned to be a correct rumor then. Gonna guess nobody picked him in the DDP though

As a non-European, how significant is David Sassoli's death?

I'm not familiar with how important the European Parliament, and who runs it, would be to the average citizen. 

On 20/09/2021 at 23:07, arghton said:

If Sassoli died now, he would be outlived by 10 of his predecessors all older than him. Sassoli is 65, not exactly young either but there are three octogenarian former European Parliament Presidents (Jerzy Buzek aged 81, Klaus Hänsch aged 82 and José María Gil-Robles aged 86) and one nonagenarian (Henry Plumb, Baron Plumb aged 96. Only Briton to ever hold this post)

He didn't die in September, but this did happen! 

All the others are still alive, Baron Plumb will be 97 in March.