Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

2 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

As a non-European, how significant is David Sassoli's death?

I'm not familiar with how important the European Parliament, and who runs it, would be to the average citizen. 

Ehm... not so much, the role is largely ceremonial, but he seemed a nice person and will be missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

I'm not familiar with how important the European Parliament, and who runs it, would be to the average citizen. 

Not so much as Drol said but it did deserve a breaking news in France though 

• Thanks 1

Peter Pike Obituary (obviously of no use to anyone for anything, but here it is anyway).

1 hour ago, drol said:

Ehm... not so much, the role is largely ceremonial, but he seemed a nice person and will be missed.

He was the anchorman for the main TV news programme during my last high school years, it was such a familiar face and voice. When he entered politics he did it on tiptoes and I think he would have had a strong political career ahead because he was appreciated bipartisan. You were looking for a shocking death in 2022, I already found mine.

7 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

In the UK, pretty irrelevant. In order of where the story is listed on news apps here, it's 12th on the BBC News and the 18th on Sky News. I don't think it will even be on their main grid by tonight.

I must confess, never heard of Sassoli. I stopped paying any attention to EU politics around 2017 when the UK formally left, and back then Martin Schulz was President of the Parliament, someone who I have met before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to Italian newspapers Sassoli suffered from multiple myeloma in the last 10 years of his life and underwent bone marrow transplant during his term as president of the European Parliament.

A private battle that only close people knew.

6 minutes ago, drol said:

According to Italian newspapers Sassoli suffered from multiple myeloma in the last 10 years of his life and underwent bone marrow transplant during his term as president of the European Parliament.

A private battle that only close people knew.

So it wasn't the vaccine after all...:facepalm:

On 14/06/2021 at 20:41, arghton said:

There was some talk about Prime Ministers/Presidents outliving their cabinets in the Carter thread. Toshiki Kaifu (b. 1931) Japanese Prime Minister 1989-1991 has outlived nearly all of his cabinet except, according to his cabinet's Japanese wiki page:

Taro Nakayama (b. 1924) Foreign Affairs minister

Michihiko Kano (1942-2021) Minister of Agriculture

Hikaru Matsunaga (b. 1928) Trade and Industry minister

Mayumi Moriyama (1927-2021) Chief Cabinet secretary

Hajime Ishii (b. 1934)

Toshiki Kaifu reportedly died on the 9th January: 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Toshiki Kaifu reportedly died on the 9th January: 

Fun fact - he had the same birthday as Kane Tanaka but 28 years later.

• Like 1

Tomiichi Murayama, 98 in march, is now also the earliest living former Prime Minister of Japan. Was still able to walk without aid in september 2021.

Edit: Actually nope, it's Morihiro Hosokawa, 84, Prime Minister 1993-1994.

• Like 1

Bill Squire, former British Ambassador to Israel, died aged 93 on October 14th 2021. 
Times

• Like 1

Lee Myung-bak, former President of South Korea once again hospitalised for "chronic illness"

Means that all the (2) former Presidents of South Korea are in hospital currently.

• Like 3

On 19/11/2021 at 19:44, arghton said:

Updated "oldest state leaders gallery", all pictures presumably from 2021:

siphandon.png.51f6ec210ca9f4540282b4520457be73.png

4. General Khamtai Siphandone (Born 8th of February 1924, often called Khamtai Siphandon)

Prime Minister of Laos 1991-1998 and President/dictator 1998-2006. Has looked horrible for years but can still walk with a stick. 

270189905_662130145166749_5190171624919568914_n__01.jpg.75a4c0cf45d615541d0b4fad600e9797.jpg

General Khamtai Siphandone appeared in the introduction of a bullet train and rode it around christmas day. Noticeably frailer than half a year ago. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Crikey! He deteriorated sharply.

Among the five state leaders left from 1924 Siphandon, Rodriguez Lara, and Carter all look like cadavers. Strougal Is an extreme dementia sufferer and presumably on a wheelchair too. Only Murayama seems to be in great health and will surely be the last man standing at things are now.

1925 is much stronger, I expect Mwinyi, Sharq and Mahathir to last years.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2021 at 22:24, arghton said:

Anatoly Malofeyev (1932-) First Secretary 1990-1991

Dead. Anatoly Malofeyev.

• Like 4

A big name in Indian politics, Parkash Singh Badal, hospitalised with COVID.

Article notes he went campaigning door-to-door recently and never wore a mask. For a 94-year old obese that could be particularly risky.

• Like 1

Badal and Achuthanandan won't die.

Achuthanandan may be one of the frailest people alive, but he has received his shots and for now shows no symptoms (tested positive because his carer tested positive). He is in hospital for precautionary measure, but will hardly go now.

Badal is already on the mend, and likely vaccinated too. Walesa has had the booster, so it wil be only a big headache for him, despite a plethora of health issues. As It was for Zeman or Constantine II.

The only one at real risk now appears ti be Lata Mangeshkar (also the only one in ICU), who, casually, appears to be the unvaxxed one. She is not a guarantee by any means, anyway.

• Like 1

A much weakened COVID sweeping India once again. 

• Sad 1

On 18/01/2022 at 20:21, drol said:

Crikey! He deteriorated sharply.

Among the five state leaders left from 1924 Siphandon, Rodriguez Lara, and Carter all look like cadavers. Strougal Is an extreme dementia sufferer and presumably on a wheelchair too. Only Murayama seems to be in great health and will surely be the last man standing at things are now.

1925 is much stronger, I expect Mwinyi, Sharq and Mahathir to last years.

200.gif.77182a06928032f1b7643d7516c74c21.gif