Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Constantine II has suffered multiple strokes, heart attacks etc and has been wheelchairbound for years. Probably the frailest person on the list after Strougal, Forlani and Gorby?

Silayev hasn't been seen anywhere in years. Probably frail

I'd add Vigdís Finnbogadóttir, cold war pres of Iceland to the list.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, arghton said:

Constantine II has suffered multiple strokes, heart attacks etc and has been wheelchairbound for years. Probably the frailest person on the list after Strougal, Forlani and Gorby?

Silayev hasn't been seen anywhere in years. Probably frail

I'd add Vigdís Finnbogadóttir, cold war pres of Iceland to the list.

Thanks for this! I've added her. Not sure how I missed her tbh. There may be others I've missed too given how huge a project it was to do.

Greece and the USA look certain to become the next countries with no leaders left from the Cold War.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just Constantine II left from Greece. Still a pretty "young" name. 82 in June, though admittedly I know nothing of his current health.

As an addendum to arghtons info, he had a stroke just before Christmas so I was tempted to pick him in the DDP given his prior issues. Also survived covid. Will probably go before many of the older names on the list tbh.

• Like 1

It wasn't a stroke as first reported, it was severe pneumonia and pulmonary edema. Still, in a very bad condition. And seems like he's been circling the drain for years with a history of UTIs, strokes (atleast two) and heart attacks

• Like 1

The newcomer of the Wiki top 100 oldest living state leaders list is Colonel Rubén Darío Paredes, Manuel Noriega's (1934-2017) predecessor. Paredes was the de facto ruler/military dictator of Panama for a year from 1982, when he ousted the pretty much powerless Florencio Flores Aguilar (1931-2020) who had come to power after the death of Maximum Leader of the Panamanian Revolution Omar Torrijos (1929-1981) to 1983, when he decided to retire. He wanted Noriega to replace him and himself wanted the role of the President as a retirement award. Always hard for a dictator to retire, when he gave his position to Noriega, he had Paredes arrested.

rubn-daro-paredes-64e2f051-ad61-44a8-85d4-61d891cb972-resize-750.jpeg.564d8f4d443a552074a4df7fd9fa38db.jpeg

As far as I know, Paredes was never prosecuted for anything. 

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Leland Christensen, a former member of the Wyoming State Senate and a pick in a few pools because he had COVID-19, has died. He was 62.

https://www.wyomingnews.com/news/local_news/lummis-mourns-the-passing-of-state-director-leland-christensen/article_005adb27-f731-5c21-be13-e911d80d2df7.html

Seems he was going through radiation for cancer, which would presumably have made him significantly more susceptible to covid complications. 

No info re: his vaccination status, though AFAIK vaccination has been okayed for cancer patients in general (have family members doing radiation + fully vaxxed).

On 27/01/2022 at 21:43, drol said:

Parkash to run for MLA.

Parkash Singh Badal hospitalised again.

5 hours ago, drol said:

Parkash Singh Badal hospitalised again.

Parkash is either critical or just going for a check-up depending on sources. As usual, you decide.

5 hours ago, drol said:

Parkash is either critical or just going for a check-up depending on sources. As usual, you decide.

Discharged. Not so critical, it seems.

How is she still alive? Did she finally get that magical TIPS shunt her doctors said would cure her cirrhosis completely? :D

Looks like she's lost weight (and judging on the pictures, fell asleep atleast once when they were wheeling her out of the hospital) but the next few months will show how much of those health issues in november-december were lies. 

Tributes have been paid to the deputy leader of Dudley Council, Councillor David Vickers, who has died aged 73.

The Halesowen South councillor and former policeman died following a short illness.

Councillor Vickers served the borough as a councillor for 16 years.

Councillor Vickers had served as deputy leader of the authority since 2017, having previously held cabinet positions for education and lifelong learning, and health and wellbeing.

SC

On 03/12/2021 at 20:56, arghton said:

https://www.ceskenoviny.cz/zpravy/zalobci-musi-znovu-rozhodnout-o-strougalovi-a-vajnarovi/2127193

Turns out that the experts who did the report on the health of Lubomír Štrougal and Vratislav Vajnar were both connected with the communist regime and were likely biased. Seems like there's also newly found evidence against these two.

https://www.memoryandconscience.eu/2022/02/02/german-investigation-into-former-communist-czechoslovak-officials-continues/

New reports on Lubomir Strougal's and Vratislav Vajnar's conditions ordered to be completed by the end of March. 

Also, I can't find anything about Laotian former dictator Khamtai Siphandone's 98th birthday that was four days ago. I wonder if he's now so frail they've stopped celebrating it as last year there seems to have been a lot of news about him, appearances, etc. Considering they still wheeled him around a couple of months ago (and he looked extremely frail, declined a lot during 2021) I'll be suprised if he lasts more than two months. 

Radio silence on Hiriart's 98th, she died six days later. I feel like this will be a similar case.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 13:33, arghton said:

Turkmenistan

gurbanwhatever.png.b7f362d0aba310e7a89703fe0738e13a.png

Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow (1957-) Dictator of Turkmenistan since the death of the great Türkmenbaşy Saparmurat Niyazov (1940-2006), before that he was Niyazov's dentist. The most mad person on this list, uses his free time having fun with horses, obsessing over horses, dreaming about horses and trying to break guinness world records.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/12/turkmenistan-to-hold-early-presidential-election-on-march-12

Turkmenistan's dictator Arkadag Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow (Gurbanguly Mälikgulyýewiç Berdimuhamedow) announces an early presidential election, says that "the country needs young leaders" (meaning his son, probably)

There were death rumors a couple of years ago. I wonder if he's ill.

Former Sandinista guerrilla leader and opposition politician Hugo Torres has died in prison at the age of 73, relatives said Saturday.

Torres was the first of a large group of opposition leaders rounded up in a 2021 crackdown to die; it was unclear if his death was hastened by conditions in prison.

Torres was a leading commander of the 1970s Sandinista revolution who broke with President Daniel Ortega more than 20 years ago to found the Sandinista Renovation Movement.

SC

• Like 1

William G. Batchelder III, an Ohio legislative icon, has died. He was 79.

Affectionately called "Batch" behind his back and Mr. Speaker to his face, Batchelder began his service in the Ohio House in 1969 at age 24 and left in 1998, without achieving his dream of being speaker. He made a comeback in 2007 and won the speaker's gavel in 2011.

In all, Batchelder served 38 years in the Ohio House.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/daniel-ortega-torres-nicaragua-sandinista-mexico-city-b2013928.html

Hugo Torres Jiménez, former Sardinista guerrilla and retired brigadier general dead at 74 in jail.

From wikipedia:

Torres was the only guerrilla who participated in both the 1974 Christmas party raid that freed future President Daniel Ortega among other prisoners, and the 1978 raid on the National Palace, freeing another 60 political prisoners. 

He later became a critic of Ortega and VP Rosario Murillo and was arrested last year. 

In his last video statement before getting arrested, he said "Forty-six years ago I risked my life to get Daniel Ortega out of jail [...] those who once embraced principles today have betrayed them."

5 minutes ago, arghton said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/daniel-ortega-torres-nicaragua-sandinista-mexico-city-b2013928.html

Hugo Torres Jiménez, former Sardinista guerrilla and retired brigadier general dead at 74 in jail.

From wikipedia:

Torres was the only guerrilla who participated in both the 1974 Christmas party raid that freed future President Daniel Ortega among other prisoners, and the 1978 raid on the National Palace, freeing another 60 political prisoners. 

He later became a critic of Ortega and VP Rosario Murillo and was arrested last year. 

In his last video statement before getting arrested, he said "Forty-six years ago I risked my life to get Daniel Ortega out of jail [...] those who once embraced principles today have betrayed them."

:clivedunn:

David Chidgey, Baron Chidgey, former Liberal Democrat MP for Eastleigh elected at a by-election in 1994 and held the seat until 2005 following which he was elevated to the Lords, being reported dead, aged 79: 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Ah yes, I remember well the circumstances of that by-election.  ;)

The Back To Basics messaging from Major's Government, whilst not as egregious as the current PM's disastrous leadership, was seriously thrown into sharpest focus by the Milligan "orgasmodeath".

The "one rule for them, another for everybody else" is not a new Tory party problem. :lol:

• Like 1