Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

On 04/06/2020 at 11:00, drol said:

His son and political heir Lugi (????) Gizenga follows him at 54. 

Incredible longevity drop from generation to generation. Dilip Kumar wisely chose not to have any children or they would have died as teens.

Dorothée Gizenga, Congolese political activist, Secretary-General of PALU, Antoine Gizenga's daughter and Lugi Gizenga's sister dead at 60:

https://congoprofond.net/rdc-dorothee-gizenga-haut-cadre-du-palu-decedee-a-kinshasa/

2 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Christopher Stalford, DUP MLA for South Belfast, has died aged 39.

Beauchamp and now Stalford, I wish they’d go back to “topped himself” and not all this touchy feely “died suddenly” bollocks. When I commit suicide I’d be, er, mortified if they said I “died suddenly”.

On 23/01/2022 at 17:26, arghton said:

A list I've been working on for a while, health/health history of the top 100 oldest state leaders...

Part 1/2, up to place 50:

23. Luigi Ciriaco De Mita (2 February 1928-) Met with pope in 2022, looked great.

https://www.unionesarda.it/en/italy/ciriaco-de-mita-falls-down-the-stairs-and-breaks-his-femur-hospitalized-p5w9bmev

Ciriaco De Mita, Prime Minister of Italy 1988-1989 has fallen down the stairs in his home and broken his femur. He has been operated and the situation doesn't seem to be very serious according to the doctors.

On 19/02/2022 at 13:22, Ulitzer95 said:

Numerous news sources online (eg this one) reporting that Karl Vaino has died aged 98.

They state that his death date is unknown. All they know is he died earlier in 2022 and was already buried by 16 February.

Great riddance. Rot in hell.

Maastricht rebel Sir Richard Shepherd, former MP for Aldridge-Brownhills (36 years), has died aged 79. He stood down in 2015.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, time said:

Maastricht rebel Sir Richard Shepherd, former MP for Aldridge-Brownhills (36 years), has died aged 79. He stood down in 2015.

On the one hand, Shepherd was against the most authoritarian measures of the Thatcher era. On the other, Maastricht rebel Eurosceptic. On another hand, a Scottish Tory. On yet another hand, couldn't get elected to save himself in a Scottish seat.

A dichotomy wrapped in an enigma juggled by an Indian goddess' many hands.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

On the one hand, Shepherd was against the most authoritarian measures of the Thatcher era. On the other, Maastricht rebel Eurosceptic. On another hand, a Scottish Tory. On yet another hand, couldn't get elected to save himself in a Scottish seat.

A dichotomy wrapped in an enigma juggled by an Indian goddess' many hands.

I think he was born in Aberdeen but grew up and was schooled in London so not sure that's a relevant point in the same way it is for types who did move south as part of their career, e.g. Ben Wallace, Liam Fox, Michael Gove, IDS, Sir Teddy Taylor, Sir Malcolm Rifkind, Dame Eleanor Laing, Iain Stewart etc. etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

I think he was born in Aberdeen but grew up and was schooled in London so not sure that's a relevant point in the same way that is for types like Ben Wallace, Michael Gove, IDS, Sir Teddy Taylor, Sir Malcolm Rifkind, Eleanor Laing, Ian Stewart etc. etc.

It was more a general point that a Tory getting elected in a Scottish seat was a rare bird, almost mythological, back in the 80s. ;)

And as a contrary to that, Labour sent up their English counterparts to Scotland to get guaranteed seats.

(A chorus of Those Were The Days is due I think, for the main Westminster parties!)

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

It was more a general point that a Tory getting elected in a Scottish seat was a rare bird, almost mythological, back in the 80s. ;)

And as a contrary to that, Labour sent up their English counterparts to Scotland to get guaranteed seats.

(A chorus of Those Were The Days is due I think, for the main Westminster parties!)

Curious to think that 40 years ago we had a fairly safe Tory seat in Glasgow, with Tam Galbraith. Hard to imagine that today.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Curious to think that 40 years ago we had a fairly safe Tory seat in Glasgow, with Tam Galbraith. Hard to imagine that today.

Yup and Malcolm Rifkind  held  the Edinburgh Pentlands seat until 1997.   Some of the   seats in  the wealthier parts  of Edinburgh should in theory be fertile ground for the tories.

7 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Yup and Malcolm Rifkind  held  the Edinburgh Pentlands seat until 1997.   Some of the   seats in  the wealthier parts  of Edinburgh should in theory be fertile ground for the tories.

Pentlands is mostly Edinburgh SW now held by Joanna Cherry. Was solid Labour under Alastair Darling but their vote has evaporated since he retired. Cherry had twice the vote of the Tories in 2nd place last time.

• Thanks 1

Edinburgh was drifting Tory again under Davidson and May but that seems to have reached its peak now with not much more to grow. 

19 hours ago, time said:

First hit of the year - sadly my local MP for eons.  Always looked at deaths door.  True blue who pandered to the Aldridge middle classes, & had no idea where Brownhills was.

His replacement Wendy Morton isn’t an improvement.

• Like 1

(Wiki) Jim Inhofe, U.S Republican Senator from Oklahoma, plans to retire . He still had roughly 4 years left on his term as he was just re-elected in 2020. The exact date of him leaving Congress is not clear, it will at least be by the end of the Congressional year (Jan. 2023).

Not clear why he is retiring, but I would guess health issues are in play (either for him or his family). The fact he is 87 impacts this I'm sure. Infoe is currently the 4th oldest senator in Congress and the 28th oldest living senator.

10 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

(Wiki) Jim Infoe, a U.S Republican Senator from Oklahoma, plans to retire . He still had roughly 4 years left on his term as he was just re-elected in 2020. The exact date of him leaving Congress is not clear, it will at least be by the end of the Congressional year (Jan. 2023).

Not clear why he is retiring, but I would guess health issues are in play (either for him or his family). The fact he is 87 impacts this I'm sure. Infoe is currently the 4th oldest senator in Congress and the 28th oldest living senator.

Apparently his wife has been sick since December.

• Like 1

Means that from Gough Whitlam's (1916-2014) controversial government 1972-1975 only three ministers are alive as mentioned by that site:

Doug McClelland (1926-) Minister for the Media 1972-1975, Special Minister of State 1975.

Bill Hayden (1933-2023) Minister for Social Security 1972-1975. Survived stroke and fall in 2014.

Paul Keating (1944-) Minister for Northern Australia 1975.

On 08/05/2021 at 20:39, arghton said:

Paavo Väyrynen (b. 1946)

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008646284.html

Paavo Väyrynen, Finnish perennial presidential candidate, longtime political heavyweight hospitalised with high BP "caused by Russia's attack on Ukraine"

(Yeah, totally not a trick to get into the news. He's one of the most interesting political personalities in Finland)

• Confused 1

Marietta Giannakou, Greek politician, MEP 2009-2014, Minister for National Education and Religious Affairs of Greece 2004-2007 finally dead at 70:

https://www.titusvilleherald.com/news/article_6b49a539-45e7-5435-b98b-69a14b73fb7f.html

Leg amputated due to diabetes complications in 2008, picked in Maryport's Midsummer Dead Pool in 2016 when she was in ICU after a heart attack. Recently suffered a fall and seems to have been a pick somewhere this year.