Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

4 hours ago, drol said:

Fernando Henrique Cardoso hospitalised after breaking his femur, but not in any danger.

Broken hip (femur is close enough) tends to be the death knell at that age.  We shall see.

On 05/02/2022 at 15:45, drol said:

Parkash is either critical or just going for a check-up depending on sources. As usual, you decide.

Parkash may not be dying, but he has been soundly defeated at the Legislative Assembly elections.

Go home, you old geezer!

• Haha 1

Sam Massell, who was the first Jewish mayor of Atlanta as well as the driving force behind the creation of the region's transit system, has died. Massell was 94.

Massell's wife said that Sam died Sunday morning in his sleep. No cause of death was given.

SC

On 18/02/2022 at 08:43, YoungWillz said:

Jim Hagedorn dead from cancer aged 59: https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/us-rep-hagedorn-dies-at-age-59/

Somebody's Joker? Will he QO?

Speaking of Jokers, this one:

“Former Minnesota Republican Party chairwoman Jennifer Carnahan is jumping into the race to replace her husband Jim Hagedorn in Congress.“

Cuz of her ‘qualifications’.  Oh yeah about that: ‘Carnahan brings some baggage into the race. She resigned under fire as Minnesota GOP chair last August,’ Something about fostering a toxic work environment and accepting donations from a sex trafficker. You know, the things YOU would be doing if your spouse was battling cancer.  Probably the pressure of her constant headlines helped put her fat cancerous husband in his grave.

But there’s hope!

‘Carnahan joins a crowded field that includes at least eight other Republicans, along with six Democrats and one Legal Marijuana Now Party candidate.’

Found my candidate!

SC

• Haha 1

Ireland's Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, Jim Kelly has died 'suddenly'. He was previously Ireland's ambassador to Canada.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Don Young, the current longest-serving member of the U.S. Congress, has died. He was 88. Young had served in the House of Representatives since 1973.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/alaska-congressman-don-young-has-died/

59CDAA51-32FC-4078-BFA0-501D5050E50B.jpeg

B0772AE7-B10F-4954-82C4-EED4D7C54294.jpeg

• Confused 3
  • Facepalm 2

21 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

59CDAA51-32FC-4078-BFA0-501D5050E50B.jpeg

B0772AE7-B10F-4954-82C4-EED4D7C54294.jpeg

What’s that? You’re telling everyone to like the Don Young post now? On it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

What’s that? You’re telling everyone to like the Don Young post now? On it!

Just wondering why the Don Young fascination.  I can never figure out what’s compelling around here at times. Some complete nobody Alaskan (USA) representative that no one has talked about gets 6 emotional responses. SMH.
As for what you do, you’re a grown-ass child and have free will; carpe diem!

• Facepalm 2

On 19/03/2022 at 13:17, arghton said:

He Luli, Chairperson of the Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang ("Left Kuomintang", one of the eight legal political parties in China) 1996-2007 dead at 87. 

http://politics.people.com.cn/n1/2022/0319/c1001-32379019.html

Living vice chairmen/women of CPPCC:

1)Pagbalha Namgyal (1940): Tibet Lama who has served in the position from 1959 and 1993 and from 2003 to our days.

2)Yan Mingfu (1931): Tien An Men hero, suffering from a degenerative illness since at least 2012.

3)Wang Zhaoguo (1941)

4)Qian Zhengying (1923): politician and academic, ancient and quite frail on her 98th birthday.

5)Ren Jianxin (1925): Supreme court president who has been out of the public eye for years.

6)Song Jian (1931): legendary aerospace engineer.

7)Li Guixian (1937)

8)Zhang Siqing (1932)

9)Hu Qili (1929): "on his deathbed" in August 2018, now well enough to make public appearances and organize golf tournaments.

10)Bai Lichen (1941)

11)Zhang  Kehui (1928): Taiwan pro-Bejing politician who was already frail in 2009, but still granting interviews in 2017.

12)Zhong Tienong (1938)

13)Wang Zhongyu (1933)

14)Liao Hui (1942)

15)Hao Jianxu (1935)

16)Chen Kuiyuan (1942)

17)Abdulahat Abdulrixit (1942): Uyghur loyalist of Bejing.

18)Xu Kuangdi (1937), also mayor of Shanghai, but did not follow Jiang and Zhu careers.

19)Zhang Huaixi (1935)

20)Li Meng (1937)

21)Tung Chee-hwa (1937): rumoured to be gravely ill, received surgery in October.

22)Zhang Meying (1937)

23)Wang Gang (1942)

Damn, these people are longeve.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Just wondering why the Don Young fascination.  I can never figure out what’s compelling around here at times. Some complete nobody Alaskan (USA) representative that no one has talked about gets 6 emotional responses.

---snip

I can't speak for everyone else, but I shall share my own reasoning. As a American.

1. I gave a 'shocked' face, as it doesn't really trigger any other emotion from me. I am just surprised it happened.

2. Don Young was the current Dean of the U.S House. The man has had the same job since the 70's.

3. Young was planning to run for re-election. Previously stating something to effect of, 'He will run till he loses or dies'.

4. This throws Alaskan politics into a whirlwind, and as someone who follows politics closely, it will be interesting.

5. Despite being 88, he reportedly died randomly on an airplane. No health issues that I've been made aware of.

6. As a sitting Congress member, his death would be notable in any given year. In the currently razor-thin divided House, this may have a major impact.

Lastly, just because someone is not mentioned on this site....does not mean they don't have significance. Either from a world-wide perspective, national perspective, or even individual perspective. Stop being an ASS for no reason. You cunt.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

I can't speak for everyone else, but I shall share my own reasoning. As a American.

1. I gave a 'shocked' face, as it doesn't really trigger any other emotion from me. I am just surprised it happened.

2. Don Young was the current Dean of the U.S House. The man has had the same job since the 70's.

3. Young was planning to run for re-election. Previously stating something to effect of, 'He will run till he loses or dies'.

4. This throws Alaskan politics into a whirlwind, and as someone who follows politics closely, it will be interesting.

5. Despite being 88, he reportedly died randomly on an airplane. No health issues that I've been made aware of.

6. As a sitting Congress member, his death would be notable in any given year. In the currently razor-thin divided House, this may have a major impact.

Lastly, just because someone is not mentioned on this site....does not mean they don't have significance. Either from a world-wide perspective, national perspective, or even individual perspective. Stop being an ASS for no reason. You cunt.

If I could like this twice I would. 

• Like 1

If you aren`t mentioned on this forum and notable and old it is fair to say the death is unexpected and therefore a shock to some.He died suddenly.Yes 88 is old but someone dying suddenly on a plane of natural causes without warning is pretty unexpected.

• Like 3

On 12/03/2022 at 18:25, drol said:

Fernando Henrique Cardoso hospitalised after breaking his femur, but not in any danger.

Discharged.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sean said:

If you aren`t mentioned on this forum and notable and old it is fair to say the death is unexpected and therefore a shock to some.He died suddenly.Yes 88 is old but someone dying suddenly on a plane of natural causes without warning is pretty unexpected.

Yes, I remember seeing a video of him speaking recently and noticing how healthy he seemed, especially in comparison to some other members of Congress around his age. Definitely felt like this came out of nowhere (relatively speaking for someone nearing 90).

• Like 1

On 20/12/2021 at 13:28, arghton said:

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211220004800315

Park Geun-hye going to stay in hospital until February.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220322005400315

Park Geun-hye going to be discharged this week, will apparently give "brief remarks" to the media. Suffering from a chronic illness, but well enough to receive treatment at home.

Kuwait has lost a few old politicos this month. "National symbol" Ahmad Muhammad Al-Khatib died two weeks ago at 95 as well as Ghanam Al-Jumhur at 90/91 and now another national symbol, Abdullah Al-Nibari, has died at 85, two days before his birthday. 

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Baroness Elspeth Howe, widow of Geoffrey Howe, has died aged 90. Also the aunt of the Duchess of Cornwall.

Ah, there you are, ya corpse sniffer!

Welcome back.:D

• Thanks 1

Maddie Albright, dead at 84.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 6