Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

On 09/06/2022 at 22:23, arghton said:

Well here's a list of nonagenarian/centenarian South American politicians. Born 1932 or before. Do not quote the whole post.

ARGENTINA (Including less notable names up to 1927)

Magdalena Álvarez de Seminario (1920) Deputy 1952-1955, one of the first female deputies.

Héctor Sandler (1921) Former Deputy.

Santiago Riveros (1923) Politician during Videla's tenure, military commander currently serving a life sentence for crimes against humanity.

Adolfo Navajas Artaza (1925) Former Minister of Social Development.

Adolfo Navajas Artaza, ancient Argentine politician and Minister of Social Action when the junta was in power dead at 97. Atleast the fifth death from the list since I sent it in June. Considering how there are relatively few names on the original list, they're dying pretty fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Sitting Indiana House of Representatives member Jackie Walorski dead at 57 in a car accident.

Sheriff Jeff Siegel said Walorski, 58, was in a SUV traveling southbound when it was hit head-on by another car just after 12:30 p.m. All three occupants in one of the cars — Walorski, her district director Zachery Potts, 27, and communications director Emma Thomson, 28 — died as a result of their injuries.

Her communications director is dead?!  
How’s anyone gonna know what happened?!

On 31/07/2022 at 16:07, arghton said:

...one of his longtime aides, Norman Legaspi, told The Associated Press that Ramos had been in and out of the hospital in recent years due to a heart condition and had suffered from dementia.

Ramos having dementia wasn't publicly known, right? Estrada claimed Ramos had dementia in 2014, but that seems to have been a joke. 

His wife, Amelita Ramos, is still alive by the way, now 95.

Amelita looked good at Fidel's wake. Not going anywhere for a few years.

Amelita Ramos Arrives Attend Wake Former Editorial Stock Photo - Stock  Image | Shutterstock | Shutterstock Editorial

• Like 1

John Rensenbrink, co-founder of the US Green Party dead at 93:

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2022-08-05/john-rensenbrink-us-green-party-co-founder-dies-at-93

I seem to recall the name...DDP pick? Scavenger Hunt I pick?

Edit: Oh no, confused him with former DDP hit Rob Rensenbrink.

• Like 3

Amman, the widow of Salih Mahdi Ammash (1924-1985) VP of Iraq with Saddam 1970-1971 who was murdered in Helsinki in 1985 and mother of Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash aka. Mrs. Anthrax, Iraqi politician/scientist and the only woman in the Most-wanted Iraqi playing cards, died at the end of last month.

Why am I mentioning this in this thread? According to talk on facebook Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf, aka. Comical Ali/Baghdad Bob made a very rare appearance at her memorial service, and if this isn't a hoax and it doesn't turn out to be an old picture, he looks amazing for an octogenarian (82? 85?) who was "terminally ill" with cancer seven years ago:

comicalali.png.5a199e528613d4df18b600dbbcb9c3bd.png

• Like 2

On 03/08/2021 at 16:47, arghton said:

Oceania's Political Frailty, list of Oceanian leaders by birth year (Presidents, Prime Ministers, Kings...) born in and after 1916, plus honorary mentions who lived to the 2000s and have lead a country in Oceania before the day this list was posted. Oceanian politicians (excluding NZ and Australia) tend to die young, good picks for pools.

Bold is used to mark national founders, dictators and monarchs.

Ezekiel Alebua (1947-) Prime Minister of the Solom Islands 1986-1989

Francis Hilly Billy (1948-) Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands 1993-1994

Ezekiel Alebua Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands 1986-1989 dead at 74/75 after long battle with difficult health issues. Sir Francis Billy Hilly* is now the oldest and earliest living former Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands. 

*Not Francis Hilly Billy. But Michael Hardie Boys is still Hardie Boys, not Boys Hardie.

• Like 1

Bill Graham, a Canadian politician who served in the Jean Chretien and Paul Martin Cabinets as Minister of Foreign Affairs and in the Martin Cabinet as Minister of National Defence, all during his 14-year run as an MP, has died. He was 83.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-graham-died-august-8-2022-1.6545023

On 04/05/2022 at 20:17, drol said:

Wow, Belarusian old guard wiped away in five months. Malofeyev, Sokolov and now Sushkevich.

Slyunkov may really go for a check-up.

Slyunkov did not listen.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, drol said:

Slyunkov did not listen.

So the leaders of Soviet-era Belarus, the Byelorussian SSR, are now all dead. 

Two former national leaders of Belarus alive. Vyacheslav Kuznetsov and Myechyslaw Hryb. Kuznetsov is a mere 75, acting leader between Shushkevich and Hryb in 1994, couldn't find much about him. Hryb is 84 next month, still active in politics, probably going to be here for a long time and I would not be suprised if he outlived Lukashenko. (Arguably there's also Syamyon Sharetski, Chairman of the Supreme Soviet for a few months in 1996, 86 next month, now a political refugee in the US. Never really had any power, though, and not even included in Wikipedia's lists.)

• Like 1

On 01/05/2022 at 11:44, arghton said:

---snip

IRAN (Up to 1935, excluding Ayatollahs with political power)

Hushang Ebtehaj (1928) Tudeh Party member, more known as a poet

---snip

(Wiki) Hushang Ebtehaj dead, as mentioned in another thread

• Like 1

Former president of Paraguay Fernando Lugo in coma after stroke, though apparently stable and improving, of course.

• Like 2

Spike Cohen (2020 Libertarian Vice Presidential nominee) has just posted on his twitter that his party's 2004 presidential nominee, Michael Badnarik, has passed away aged 68.  Badnarik's wikipedia page has also been updated to reflect his passing.

• Like 3

On 01/05/2022 at 19:44, arghton said:

ISRAEL (Knesset members and minor politicians up to 1930, Ministers up to 1935)

Tamar Eshel (1920-2022) Knesset (parliament) member 1977-1984

Shmuel Toledano (1921) Knesset member 1977-1981

Mordechai Bibi (1922) Knesset member 1959-1974

Aharon Yadlin (1926) Minister of Education 1974-1977, Knesset member 1959-1981

Aharon Yadlin, former Minister of Education of Israel and veteran of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War dead at 96:

https://www.ynet.co.il/news/article/skdndy7cc

• Like 2

On 20/09/2019 at 04:51, JiroemonKimura said:

Alabama governor Kay Ivey diagnosed with lung cancer.

Kay Ivey hasn't been seen in a week, there are rumours of deteriorating health:

https://politicalwire.com/2022/08/12/alabama-governor-hasnt-been-seen-in-a-week/#disqus_thread

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Kay Ivey hasn't been seen in a week, there are rumours of deteriorating health:

https://politicalwire.com/2022/08/12/alabama-governor-hasnt-been-seen-in-a-week/#disqus_thread

Healthy and cancer-free. Try again, better luck.

(Wiki) David Tomassoni died on August 11th at age 69 from ALS. Mentioned on the site a couple of times.

A local politician in Minnesota State House/Senate

• Like 2

On 05/04/2019 at 23:34, drol said:

Đồng Sĩ Nguyên, who succeeded the late Do Muoi as Minister of Construction and who was also Deputy PM of Vietnam for nine years, has died aged 96. He was responsible for mantaining the Ho Chi Minh trail during the war and was interviewed in 2017 documentary The Vietnam War.  The documentary also contained an interview to Republic of Vietnam colonel Trần Ngọc Châu, (1923-2020),  former DDP pick. Among the Southerners who fled to America I'd like to remember general Tran Thien Khiem (1925-2021), the last PM of South Vietnam, who has received his Christening last year and was very frail. Oh, and dying mr. Ly Tong (1946-2019) of course.

Among the commies there's not only perennial 108 Hospital resident Le Duc Anh (1920-2019). Legendary diplomat and vicepresident Nguyen Thi Binh (1927) is still doing relatively well, and among the living vice PMs we find Nguyen Con (1915 1916-2022, he came before Do Muoi and looks like a zombie), Tran Phuong (1927), Nguyen Ngoc Triu (1926-2016 off radar), Nguyen Kahn (1928), Doan Duy Thanh (1929), a plethora of nobodies.

More notable (but don't exaggerate) are general Nguyen Trong Vinh (1916-2019) and influential linguist Vu Khieu (1916-2021). And another mate of mr. Anh I can't find anything about right now, born in 1926.

Updated list...up to 1932, and I've dug out a lot of new names.

Nguyễn Quyết (1922) Former VP 1987-1997 and General, last living person to have held the title when it was named Deputy Chairman of the Council of State. Will be 100 in a week and seems to be in amazing health for someone his age, able to walk without aid.

Nguyễn Thọ Chân (1922-2023) Labor minister 1974-1981, former ambassador to the Soviet Union and Sweden.

Huỳnh Đắc Hương (1922) Major general, former Deputy Minister of Invalids and Social Affairs who has been a party member for 80 years and participates or participated in events frequently, called a "historical witness".

Vũ Xuân Vinh (1923) Lt. Gen and seemingly a minor name in politics. Seems to be alive.

Vũ Oanh (1924-2022) Former Politburo member.

Nguyễn Quốc Thước (1926) Lt. Gen and old politburo member.

Bùi Phan Kỳ (1926) Another elderly Lt. Gen

Đặng Quốc Bảo (1927) Minor name once hugged by Fidel Castro.

Nguyễn Thị Bình (1927) VP 1992-2002, legendary head of the Viet Cong delegation at the Paris Peace Conference. Slowly grown frailer and seems to have spent time in hospital during the last years.

Trần Phương (1927) Deputy Prime Minister 1982-1987. Last of Phạm Văn Đồng's (1906-2000) Deputy Prime Ministers, wheelchairbound in April 2021, leads Hanoi's University of Business and Technology.

Lê Phước Thọ (1927-2023) Old Central Committee member.

Nguyễn Khánh (1928-2023) Deputy Prime Minister 1987-1997. On the original list as Nguyen Kahn. As far as I know has not made appearances in a while.

Đặng Quân Thụy (1928) Former National Assembly member.

Đặng Bích Hà (1928) Historian, wife of late Võ Nguyên Giáp (1911-2013)

Đoàn Duy Thành (1929) Deputy Prime Minister 1987-1988, seems to be doing fine?

Nguyễn Mạnh Cầm (1929) Deputy Prime Minister 1997-2002, apparently born on the same day as Doan Duy Thanh.

Nguyễn Trọng Tháp (1929) Ancient minor politician and military figure.

Chu Duy Kính (1930) Former National Assembly member. Frail.

Phan Văn Lai (1930) Minor name.

Vũ Ngọc Hải (1931) Old Central Committee member, former Energy minister.

Trần Hanh (1932) Former Deputy Minister of Defence and central committee member.

Đặng Văn Thân (1932-2023) Former Central Committee member. Suffered what seems to have been a severe stroke years ago.

Alive?-section

Cổ Kim Thành (1918) Major Quang Binh local politician.

Hoàng Trà (1922-2010) Soldier, politician

Trương Như Tảng (1923-2005) Once Minister of Justice in the Provisional Revolutionary Government of South Vietnam, seems to have lived in Paris later. English wikipedia says he died 2005.

Nguyễn Hữu Hanh (1923) South Vietnamese minister, not to be confused with Nguyễn Hữu Hạnh (1924-2019) who only had one leg.

Trần Hiếu Tâm (1925) Minor name.

I won't add pictures, but there's lots of most of them on the internet. Here's Huỳnh looking dapper in his uniform:

hyunh.jpg.584e27348e71f535c3f5d717eb155b07.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, arghton said:

Updated list...up to 1932, and I've dug out a lot of new names.

Nguyễn Quyết (1922) Former VP 1987-1997 and General, last living person to have held the title when it was named Deputy Chairman of the Council of State. Will be 100 in a week and seems to be in amazing health for someone his age, able to walk without aid.

Nguyễn Thọ Chân (1922) Labor minister 1974-1981, former ambassador to the Soviet Union and Sweden.

Huỳnh Đắc Hương (1922) Major general, former Deputy Minister of Invalids and Social Affairs who has been a party member for 80 years and participates or participated in events frequently, called a "historical witness".

Vũ Xuân Vinh (1923) Lt. Gen and seemingly a minor name in politics. Seems to be alive.

Vũ Oanh (1924) Former Politburo member.

Nguyễn Quốc Thước (1926) Lt. Gen and old politburo member.

Đặng Quốc Bảo (1927) Minor name once hugged by Fidel Castro.

Nguyễn Thị Bình (1927) VP 1992-2002, legendary head of the Viet Cong delegation at the Paris Peace Conference. Slowly grown frailer and seems to have spent time in hospital during the last years.

Trần Phương (1927) Deputy Prime Minister 1982-1987. Last of Phạm Văn Đồng's (1906-2000) Deputy Prime Ministers, wheelchairbound in April 2021, leads Hanoi's University of Business and Technology.

Lê Phước Thọ (1927) Old Central Committee member.

Nguyễn Khánh (1928) Deputy Prime Minister 1987-1997. On the original list as Nguyen Kahn. As far as I know has not made appearances in a while.

Đặng Quân Thụy (1928) Former National Assembly member.

Đặng Bích Hà (1928) Historian, wife of late Võ Nguyên Giáp (1911-2013)

Đoàn Duy Thành (1929) Deputy Prime Minister 1987-1988, seems to be doing fine?

Nguyễn Mạnh Cầm (1929) Deputy Prime Minister 1997-2002, apparently born on the same day as Doan Duy Thanh.

Nguyễn Trọng Tháp (1929) Ancient minor politician and military figure.

Chu Duy Kính (1930) Former National Assembly member. Frail.

Phan Văn Lai (1930) Minor name.

Vũ Ngọc Hải (1931) Old Central Committee member, former Energy minister.

Trần Hanh (1932) Former Deputy Minister of Defence and central committee member.

Đặng Văn Thân (1932) Former Central Committee member. Suffered what seems to have been a severe stroke years ago.

Alive?-section

Cổ Kim Thành (1918) Major Quang Binh local politician.

Hoàng Trà (1922) Soldier, politician

Trương Như Tảng (1923) Once Minister of Justice in the Provisional Revolutionary Government of South Vietnam, seems to have lived in Paris later.

Nguyễn Hữu Hanh (1923) South Vietnamese minister, not to be confused with Nguyễn Hữu Hạnh (1924-2019) who only had one leg.

Trần Hiếu Tâm (1925) Minor name.

I won't add pictures, but there's lots of most of them on the internet. Here's Huỳnh looking dapper in his uniform:

hyunh.jpg.584e27348e71f535c3f5d717eb155b07.jpg

Mods. Can we ban him for being tiresome?

This is worse spamming than I ever committed…

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 6

15 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Well I'm really sorry you don't like old Vietnamese guys.

And don't worry, I won't make another list of them. 

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, arghton said:

Well I'm really sorry you don't like old Vietnamese guys.

And don't worry, I won't make another list of them. 

I hope you do continue. It's interesting to see people from other cultures and geopolitics. You also put in a lot of time and effort, I respect + appreciate it. 

Ignore the haters. When one has hatred and the desire to be miserable in their heart, they spread it on others. 

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Windsor said:

@Windsor You are beyond correct but Admins won’t do anything.  The only three people that don’t find arghton’s lists annoying happen to Admin the site.

• Angry 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

@Windsor You are beyond correct but Admins won’t do anything.  The only three people that don’t find arghton’s lists annoying happen to Admin the site.

I say we keep Sir Creep just for how bad he pisses off the overarching political ideology of this forum.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, DaDeathGuy said:

I say we keep Sir Creep just for how bad he pisses off the overarching political ideology of this forum.

Yeah, he's really sticking it to those list-makers when he gets hammered on a Friday night and logs on to post a string of irrelevant jokes/rants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Yeah, he's really sticking it to those list-makers when he gets hammered on a Friday night and logs on to post a string of irrelevant jokes/rants.

I'm hammered af too. Not that any of you would understand because you probably don't work real jobs LOL.

• Facepalm 2