Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Received an update on Frank Field yesterday from a sitting MP. I’m told he’s very close to the end now.

• Like 9

Silvio Parnis, Malta's former Parliamentary Secretary for Active Ageing and Persons with Disability and longtime Member of Parliament dead at 58 from cancer. Apparently wasn't really a public cancer battle except for a "keep him in your prayers" around five hours before he died, so as far as I know not a pick anywhere? Known most for Malta's early failed covid approach, this story when he made the decision to give jam roly polies with the word "courage" on them to people and for saying that "everyone that died of COVID-19 in Malta had some other condition"

Abdessalam Majali finally dead at 96.

• Like 4

Brian DeQuincey Newman, a former Columbia city councilman who hailed from a prominent South Carolina family active in law and civil rights, has died at the age of 40.

Multiple sources confirmed Tuesday night that Newman had died. Further details were not immediately available.

SC

So, enjoyed the three-parter on John Stonehouse more than I thought I would. Documentary on the same subject tomorrow night. Got me Googling and I'm fairly sure Shelia Buckley, his second wife and the one he was planning to shack up with in Australia is still alive. 76 if she is, obitable as and when however low a profile she fancies keeping these days. Not sure she'll show up in the documentary, mind.

On 28/09/2018 at 12:22, drol said:

With the recent deaths of Bejing Mayor Lin Huja and Henan governor Liu Jie there are now only 6 living members of the original Communist Party Central Committee.

*Li Rui (1917): Mao Zedong's secretary, has been in hospital since the beginning of April with multiple organ failure. Profiled by BBC before as an important dissident.

*Jiao Ruoyu (1915): Former Mayor of Bejing and still serves as a Communist Congressman.

*Yuan Baohua (1916): President of Renmin University and defined "The Legend of the Century" by Chinese media.

*Wan Haifeng (1920): General of PLA and Deputy. Considered a hero of war, took part to WW2, Chinese civil war and Korean war, as the commander of Chinese troops aligned with North Korea.

*Li Lian (1920): Minor name.

*Su Yiran (1918): Another secondary name.

Plus, though he was not in the original Committee, State Councillor and Politburo member Song Ping (1917) is still alive. Song Ping is responsible for expelling from the party all members who supported Tienanmen protests in 1989. A real dick.

Li Lian dead at 102, leaving Wan Haifeng as Deng's last surviving counsellor.

• Like 4

Republican member of the Arizona Senate Russell Pearce died at 75 years:

https://ktar.com/story/5404463/former-arizona-state-sen-russell-pearce-sb1070-sponsor-dies-at-75/

He gained national attention for his 2010 bill that targeted illegal aliens. In 2011 he became the first legislator in Arizona history to be recalled and removed from office.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 16/07/2012 at 08:04, adrian0719 said:

Most people are saying Ri Yong Ho, army chief of North Korea until today, has been ousted from his post under the guise of an undisclosed illness, but in actuality, he's being removed due to an internal power struggle. Who knows with that place, but it's still something to keep an eye on. Maybe if he's not dying naturally, he'll be 'taken out'.

Well, over ten years on, there's suspicion that's (being taken out) exactly what's happened:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/kim-jongun-north-korea-execution-ri-yong-ho-ambassador-uk-b1051399.html?amp

4 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Well, over ten years on, there's suspicion that's (being taken out) exactly what's happened:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/kim-jongun-north-korea-execution-ri-yong-ho-ambassador-uk-b1051399.html?amp

That's a different Ri Yong-ho (this). The general was very likely killed in 2012.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drol said:

That's a different Ri Yong-ho (this). The general was very likely killed in 2012.

Ridiculous. How dare prominent North Koreans have the same name.

Still, proves the search function works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, drol said:

I imagine it went more or less this way:

"Dear leader, Ri Yong-ho is asking to see you"

"That cunt, why didn't we have him executed ten years ago? Execute him now!"

"But... actually...dear leader...."

"Actually what?"

"Do you want him to be executed by antiaircraft gun or be or mauled by dogs?"

• Haha 3

On 12/08/2022 at 23:38, arghton said:

Nguyễn Thọ Chân (1922) Labor minister 1974-1981, former ambassador to the Soviet Union and Sweden.

On 12/11/2022 at 03:46, arghton said:

Nguyễn Thọ Chân not dead but now 100 and he celebrated his 85th year of membership of the Party under two weeks ago:

thochan.jpg.7e11d2602750df9662cb52824acdff8d.jpg

Vietnam's Ambassador to the Soviet Union in the late 1960s. Appointed by the Ho Chi Minh himself.

Nguyễn Thọ Chân, Vietnamese politician, ambassador to the Soviet Union and Sweden during the Vietnam War and former Labor Minister, now dead at 100.

• Like 4

Mentioned previously in this thread - Hussein el-Husseini, former Speaker of the Lebanese Parliament who orchestrated the Taif Agreement which ended the Lebanese Civil War, has died aged 85.

• Like 4

On 02/08/2022 at 21:10, arghton said:

As it seems I've not covered these before...

List of European politicians born before 1930 + honorary mentions. (By population, largest first and I've numbered them to make cropping the post easier. Excluding the UK, countries partially in Asia and countries with a population of under one million as those have already been covered elsewhere. The list is not ready. I'll  slowly update this now and then.)

*snip*

2. France (Including "less notable" names up to 1926)

*snip*

Christiane Papon (1924) Former Constitutional Council member and MEP.

*snip*

Christiane Papon (wikidead at 98.

• Like 4

On 9/22/2021 at 1:24 AM, arghton said:

Bashkortostan: Murtaza Rakhimov (1934-) President 1993-2010

Murtaza Rakhimov, the former president of Bashkiria, has passed away.

The former leader of the republic was 88 years old.

ufa1.ru

IMG_20230112_001824_813.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Mentioned previously in this thread - Hussein el-Husseini, former Speaker of the Lebanese Parliament who orchestrated the Taif Agreement which ended the Lebanese Civil War, has died aged 85.

It’s maddening he is not on Gris Gris.  I need to take better notes lol

SC

On 20/11/2022 at 21:40, arghton said:

Nizoramo Zaripova, now 99, talking at an event this week, image of Tajikistan's dictator Emomali Rahmon above:

zaripova.thumb.png.868e1baaf2dd913336c1d02458a3fac3.png

Zaripova, Rafiq Nishonov and Kamalov amaze me. Impressive longevity in some Soviet-era politicians

Rafiq Nishonov finally dead at 96.

• Like 6

On 12/01/2023 at 13:53, drol said:

Rafiq Nishonov finally dead at 96.

Hit for me in two places. Sad news in a way, 2022 wasn't kind to old Soviet politicians (with tens of names dying) and seems like 2023 will continue the same.

nishonov.png.1ccab79fed40b7b50b0f6d3b2decf670.png

Well, we've still got Nikolai Ryzhkov, Boris Kravtsov, Ivan Silayev, Nizoramo Zaripova & Kallibek Kamalov, Vera Sidorova, Boris Pankin, Alexander Bessmertnykh, Vasily Zakharov, Boris Belousov, Vladimir Velichko, Enver Mamedov (arguably a politician, but he was reportedly directly in charge of Soviet TV from around 1970 to 1985. Ancient, will be 100 in August if still alive), Vladimir Chirskov and some minor "could be dead"-names such as Gennady Voronovsky, Les Vasilyev and Nikolai Lukonin. Betting that half of these will be dead by 2024.

Enver Mamedov hasn't made much appearances in recent years as far as I know, but here's an image from around 2020:

mamedov.png.6ddcdae80b4c2bd70bc85d7d70cec854.png

• Like 3