Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

On 01/05/2022 at 18:44, arghton said:

Osmany Cienfuegos (1931) Former politburo member and Minister of Tourism involved in the Congo Crisis of 1960-1965. Allegedly killed atleast nine of his political opponents.

Ramón Pez Ferro (1934) Minor name who was Cuba's ambassador to Jamaica in the 1970s and to Turkey in the 1980s and has as far as I know held only one very small position since 1983.

Orlando Borrego (1936) Economist, former minister who was Venezuela's Maduro's advisor in 2014.

Jorge Bolaños (1936)

Abelardo Colomé Ibarra (1939) Founding member of Fidel Castro's 26th of July movement, Minister of the Interior 1989-2015.

And here are some similar lists to Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. Includes some extra additions who were born after 1940, but are ill.

please do not quote the whole post if someone dies.

Chikage Oogi (1933) President of the House of Councillors 2004-2007, former minister.

Chikage Oogi dead at 89.

Japan day today.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Comped said:

She was asking questions in the Lords just last month, interestingly enough.

Yeah like 'Where the fuck is Frank Field?"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Once again, not a politician.

She was a paralympian.

She was an aristocrat.

She was an activist.

And any and all of those threads would have been more apt.

Just because some cunt is in the Lords does not make them a politician.

IMO.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Once again, not a politician.

She was a paralympian.

She was an aristocrat.

She was an activist.

And any and all of those threads would have been more apt.

Just because some cunt is in the Lords does not make them a politician.

IMO.

An active member of the Lords for decades makes her a politician.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Comped said:

With respect - garbage. Especially a cross-bencher.

They have no real power as such - an advisory body filled with cronies and admittedly failed politicians- you know the kind that actually have some political power or history.

Christ, she's even better placed on the list of This Is Your Life alumni. :lol:

When Dame Floella Benjamin dies, do you expect her in the Political Frailty thread? Maybe you do, I'd still stick her in the Play Away thread. ;)

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

When Dame Floella Benjamin dies, do you expect her in the Political Frailty thread? Maybe you do, I'd still stick her in the Play Away thread. ;)

Clearly she would go in the Btritish Science Fiction series thread because of her role in The Sarah Jane Adventures 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Comped said:

And she was the longest serving  female parliamentarian  before she died having  been in the Lords for 53 years.She has been a parliamentarian longer  than any other serving MP.For context she was in parliament longer than any living former Prime Minister and was in Parliament longer than even Dennis Skinner , Betty Boothroyd , Nigel Lawson and Douglas Hurd.

If people have multiple reasons for notability it seems appropriate to put them in the thread of the role they held the longest or was most notable.If a one term MP fits into the political frailty category then surely a member of the Lords for over 50 years does.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

And she was the longest serving  female parliamentarian  before she died having  been in the Lords for 53 years.She has been a parliamentarian longer  than any other serving MP.For context she was in parliament longer than any living former Prime Minister and was in Parliament longer than even Dennis Skinner , Betty Boothroyd , Nigel Lawson and Douglas Hurd.

If people have multiple reasons for notability it seems appropriate to put them in the thread of the role they held the longest or was most notable.If a one term MP fits into the political frailty category then surely a member of the Lords for over 50 years does.

Nope.

Not if they didn't even sit on a Parish Council.

You can be a Parliamentarian without being a politician.

But I'll leave this, obviously lazy posting comes easy to those who think a Lords position automatically qualifies them to be a politician.

I've sat on my arse for longer than some MPs sat in the Commons, but I'm no politician. :lol:

McConnell discharged; recovering at an inpatient facility.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Nope.

Not if they didn't even sit on a Parish Council.

You can be a Parliamentarian without being a politician.

But I'll leave this, obviously lazy posting comes easy to those who think a Lords position automatically qualifies them to be a politician.

I've sat on my arse for longer than some MPs sat in the Commons, but I'm no politician. :lol:

I agree the Lords is a ridiculous archaic institution but its members unfortunately in most cases are politicians.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

McConnell discharged; recovering at an inpatient facility.

Another US political figure who really needs to just retire.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sean said:

Another US political figure who really needs to just retire.

Mitch is just one of those politicians who makes life miserable for both liberals and conservatives (both of them agree that McConnell is trash). Honestly McConnell should have retired 20 years ago at least. I wonder when Mitch is gonna realize that 80% of America hates his old guts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, When The said:

Mitch is just one of those politicians who makes life miserable for both liberals and conservatives (both of them agree that McConnell is trash). Honestly McConnell should have retired 20 years ago at least. I wonder when Mitch is gonna realize that 80% of America hates his old guts.

Oh he’s very well aware. He just doesn’t give two fucks about that

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sean said:

I agree the Lords is a ridiculous archaic institution but its members unfortunately in most cases are politicians.

We agree. A lot, not all. Plenty of Bishops and Archbishops sit on the benches of the Lords, and not a damn one anyone could describe as a politician. And the remaining heredities. And the Law Lords. And any old fucker who was friendly with the Government and opposition of the day. Masham falls into the last category as does any old TV personality, farmer or businessperson. For which perhaps they are rightly or wrongly famous.

In that regard, in having the Lords we are no better than China. Time to gut it.

25 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Pat Schroeder, who represented Colorado and served in the U.S House of Representatives from 1973 to 1997, has died. She was 82.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2023/03/13/patricia-schroeder-colorado-congresswoman-dead/

(behind paywall)

Ran for President in 1988, one of the first major women to do so. Campaign went up in flames at an infamous tearful press conference

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I think it is naïve of us to assume that any of us will still be around to witness the demise of Dame Floella Benjamin

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:
6 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Ran for President in 1988, one of the first major women to do so. Campaign went up in flames at an infamous tearful press conference

DDP obit:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/ap-congress-florida-newt-gingrich-washington-b2300203.html?amp

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sean said:

And, more apposite, they generally get a QO.

• Like 3

Em 03/11/2023 em 05:50, drol disse:

O influente político brasileiro Eliseu Padilha  em estado grave com câncer.

Faleceu  aos 77 anos, foi Ministro dos Transportes entre 97/01, Ministro da Aviação Civil em 2015, Chefe do Gabinete do Presidente da República entre 2016-19 e Ministro do Trabalho em 2018

https://gauchazh.clicrbs.com.br/politica/noticia/2023/03/morre-o-ex-ministro-eliseu-padilha-aos-77-anos-clf7n3dx600f2017ysyhninz4.html

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sean said:

E ela foi a parlamentar que serviu por mais tempo antes de morrer, tendo estado na Câmara dos Lordes por 53 anos. Ela é parlamentar há mais tempo do que qualquer outra deputada. do que até mesmo Dennis Skinner , Betty Boothroyd , Nigel Lawson e Douglas Hurd.

Se as pessoas têm várias razões para notabilidade, parece apropriado colocá-las na lista do papel que ocupou por mais tempo ou foi mais notável. faz.

Who is now the longest-serving parliamentarian?

• Like 1