Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

No @Toast, don't even think about it.

What? I agree this doesn't belong here. Thread is for politicians, not their spouses.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

What? I agree this doesn't belong here. Thread is for politicians, not their spouses.

Just Ulitzer Ulitzering don’t worry 

• Facepalm 1

Former U.S. Rep. Robert Marion Berry, an Arkansas Democrat who served seven terms in Congress and was known for his blunt rhetoric and advocacy for farmers and older residents, has died. He was 80.

Berry, who was known as “Marion,” died Friday, his family confirmed in a statement Saturday. A cause of death was not provided.

SC

Exit the warrior today’s Tom Sawyer.

Longtime Akron politician Tom Sawyer has died at age 77, according to the Akron Beacon Journal, after suffering from a long illness. The notable Democrat's 40-year-long political career included roles at the local, state and federal level, most notably serving as the mayor of Akron and as a U.S. Representative.

SC

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

politician Tom Sawyer has died

What about Huckleberry Finn ? Still alive ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 02/05/2017 at 12:30, Sean said:

Conservative MP for Redditch Karen Lumley is retiring after seven years in the commons due to several months of severe illness.She is only 53 and is best known for unseating the Labour Home Secretary Jacqui Smith in 2010.

Image result for karen lumley 2010

Lumley in 2010

Image result for karen lumley 2017

Lumley in 2017.

:pop:

Karen Lumley now being reported as having died: 

I'll have to check whether there's a DDP hit to be had. 

Edit: Cannot see she was ever picked.

https://redditchstandard.co.uk/news/former-mp-karen-lumley-has-died/

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Very sad. Karen had cancer for years. It was in the “treatable but not curable” category. Did well to last this long.

34 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

https://redditchstandard.co.uk/news/former-mp-karen-lumley-has-died/

My local MP for 7 years. She wasn't the best but she tried I suppose 

Those types of long term cancer can be so tough to deal with emotionally. Living but knowing the end is coming earlier than most. 

On 12/08/2022 at 23:38, arghton said:

Đặng Văn Thân (1932) Former Central Committee member. Suffered what seems to have been a severe stroke years ago.

On 10/05/2023 at 14:11, arghton said:

My 2021 list suggestion, Vietnamese politician, former central committee member and one of the fathers of Vietnam's postal services Đặng Văn Thân got the Communist Party 70th membership award today. He's said to be "in declining health" (only a corner of his hospital bed is visible in the images) but "still expressed his joy and honor"

Perennially ill Vietnamese politician Đặng Văn Thân finally dead at 90.

• Like 4

On 05/02/2023 at 02:42, arghton said:

Not dead - and not recent news (September 2022) but never mentioned here before. Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Prime Minister of Malaysia 2003-2009, has dementia and it's progressed to the point he can't recognize family members and is permanently wheelchairbound. 

Recent update says Abdullah Ahmad Badawi (Abdullah Badawi) is "doing well".

badawi.png.f712581d3de982204eb3d4686469f7cc.png

Same wheelchair type that King Bhumibol, Queen Sirikit, Prem Tinsulanonda of Thailand and Laos' dictator Khamtai Siphandon have used.

On 21/09/2021 at 13:24, arghton said:

Guntis Ulmanis (1939-) "First" post-Independence President 1993-1999.

So Guntis Ulmanis is "ill" now. In a recent interview, he said he suffered a "serious accident" at the end of 2021 and was in a wheelchair for a long period of time. Ulmanis claims he is unable to go anywhere at the moment. The article says he is battling "serious health issues".

Ah, remember when Brighton Pavilion was Tory?

Death notice for Sir Derek Spencer, former Tory MP for Leicester South (maj. 7) and, once they had rejected him, for Brighton Pavilion and former Solicitor-General for England and Wales: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/264368/spencer

In full:

SPENCER

Sir Derek Harold KC, former Solicitor General, died on Friday 19th May aged 87. Born Clitheroe, Lancs. Much loved father to Caroline, David, Andrew and Frederick and loving grandfather to Georgia, Harriet and Matthew. Greatly missed by all. Funeral Service will be held on Tuesday 6th June at 2 p.m. in London at Mortlake Crematorium, Kew Meadows Path, Townmead Rd, TW9 4EN. All welcome. Family flowers only. Donations, if desired, to Royal Trinity Hospice. Details of memorial service to be announced at a later date.

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Death notice for Sir Derek Spencer, former Tory MP for Leicester South (maj. 7) and, once they had rejected him, for Brighton Pavilion and former Solicitor-General for England and Wales: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/264368/spencer

In full:

SPENCER

Sir Derek Harold KC, former Solicitor General, died on Friday 19th May aged 87. Born Clitheroe, Lancs. Much loved father to Caroline, David, Andrew and Frederick and loving grandfather to Georgia, Harriet and Matthew. Greatly missed by all. Funeral Service will be held on Tuesday 6th June at 2 p.m. in London at Mortlake Crematorium, Kew Meadows Path, Townmead Rd, TW9 4EN. All welcome. Family flowers only. Donations, if desired, to Royal Trinity Hospice. Details of memorial service to be announced at a later date.

I was there! He had water thrown over him and declared that he was here for good, which turned out to be until the next GE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

In full:

SPENCER

Worth noting that the other Brighton Conservative MP of that period, Sir Andrew Bowden, is still alive at 93. 

• Like 1

Let's also note that Derek Spencer's question to Margaret Thatcher at PMQs immediately prior to the 1987 General Election was thus:

"As the hon. Member with the smallest majority, might I wish my right hon. Friend the best of luck? Is my right hon. Friend aware that, under her leadership, Leicester has become once more a great city of enterprise that is bursting to return three Tory Members?"

To which Thatcher responded:

"I know that all my right hon. and hon. Friends wish my hon. and learned Friend well and hope that he will be asking a similar question shortly after the beginning of the new Session. I know Leicester well. It has always had varied industries and I congratulate it on the level of enterprise and on the increasing number of jobs that it is providing for its people."

At the 1987 Election, Leicester West, Leicester East and Leicester South all returned Labour MPs. (Admittedly, 2 of those were Greville Janner and Keith Vaz, but hey, doesn't stop us chuckling at Spencer getting it so wrong).

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Let's also note that Derek Spencer's question to Margaret Thatcher at PMQs immediately prior to the 1987 General Election was thus:

"As the hon. Member with the smallest majority, might I wish my right hon. Friend the best of luck? Is my right hon. Friend aware that, under her leadership, Leicester has become once more a great city of enterprise that is bursting to return three Tory Members?"

To which Thatcher responded:

"I know that all my right hon. and hon. Friends wish my hon. and learned Friend well and hope that he will be asking a similar question shortly after the beginning of the new Session. I know Leicester well. It has always had varied industries and I congratulate it on the level of enterprise and on the increasing number of jobs that it is providing for its people."

At the 1987 Election, Leicester West, Leicester East and Leicester South all returned Labour MPs. (Admittedly, 2 of those were Greville Janner and Keith Vaz, but hey, doesn't stop us chuckling at Spencer getting it so wrong).

I'm pretty certain that his Labour successor, David Lepper, would have been equally as confident of Labour retaining Brighton Pavillion in the long run. Then the Green Party swooped it out of nowhere. The Greens got 2% in that seat in 1997. Caroline Lucas took 57% of the vote in 2019! 

It's simply part of the political game for MPs to talk up their party's chances in order to enthuse ppl. Though admittedly it sometimes comes across as pathetically silly i.e. Jo Swinson claiming she was going to be PM in 2019 then losing her seat... :D 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm pretty certain that his Labour successor, David Lepper, would have been equally as confident of Labour retaining Brighton Pavillion in the long run. Then the Green Party swooped it out of nowhere. The Greens got 2% in that seat in 1997. Caroline Lucas took 57% of the vote in 2019! 

It's simply part of the political game for MPs to talk up their party's chances in order to enthuse ppl. Though admittedly it sometimes comes across as pathetically silly i.e. Jo Swinson claiming she was going to be PM in 2019 then losing her seat... :D 

Indeed, it's just even more hilarious that an MP with a majority of 7 was purporting to be that confident. ;)

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

In full:

SPENCER

Full Telegraph obit for Sir Derek Spencer.

• Like 1

Don Bonker, member of the US House of Representatives from 1975 to 1989, has died at 86.

Bonker represented Washington's 3rd congressional district.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Don Bonker, member of the US House of Representatives from 1975 to 1989, has died at 86.

Bonker represented Washington's 3rd congressional district.

Bonker!  :lol:

• Like 2