Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Danus Skene, one of only three SNP candidates who didn't win their seat in the 2015 General Election, dead at 72.

One who looked promising, briefly. Metastatic cancer in the lymph nodes? Taking time off for treatment?

Oh, the Ohio Senate, not a Senator from Ohio. The American political system is highly confusing.

Anyhow, Kenny Yuko isn't a well man.

One who looked promising, briefly. Metastatic cancer in the lymph nodes? Taking time off for treatment?

Oh, the Ohio Senate, not a Senator from Ohio. The American political system is highly confusing.

Anyhow, Kenny Yuko isn't a well man.

I bet it is a bit.

​There are state governments and the federal government. Each state has it's own Senate and Representatives in it's state capital, voted by 'counties' and/or other ridiculous gerrymandered voting districts I reckon.

​This is apart from our FEDERAL government in Washington DC where each state sends 2 Senators to the Senate and each state sends a varying amount of Representatives to the House of Representatives based on population; thus our checks and balances. So Texas has a bazillion more Representatives than Vermont cuz of population, and throws it's weight around in the House, but in the Senate both states have 2 voices and are equal. Not sure how it all works in each state LOL

So anyway, Yuko was in the Ohio Senate in Columbus, OH, a state senator. Nothing to do with D.C.

​That's the civics class for today :-)

SC

• Like 1

I didn't see any listing for this guy (his name is hard to search as you might imagine).

The first PM of Dominica, Patrick John, just had his leg amputated last month for diabetic related reasons, and the month prior to that was in hospital a second time inside of a year for heart ailments! He's 79. Apparently he was a footballer so maybe he's been mentioned there.

SC

http://dominicanewsonline.com/news/homepage/news/human-interest/doctors-amputate-leg-of-former-pm-patrick-john/

A list of Lords from The Lord of Lists

The following 20 peers are the oldest of those who have been given extended leave of absence from their duties in the Lords. It is possible that such leave is granted for other reasons such as holding a UN or EU political appointed post but considering the youngest of these will be 87 this year I imagine most of them are ill or frail, and remember there are many older people than this still active in the Upper House.

• Michael Sandberg (b.1927)
  • John (J D) Sainsbury (b.1927)
  • Gwilym prys Prys-Davies (b.1923)
  • Jim Prior (b.1927)
  • Beryl Platt (b.1923)
  • Olive Nicol (b.1923)
  • James Molyneaux (b.1920)
  • Roy Mason (b.1924)
  • George Mackie (b.1919)
  • Betty Lockwood (b.1924)
  • Philip Knights (b.1920)
  • William Griffiths (b.1923)
  • Robert Goff (b.1926)
  • Robert Lindsay (b.1927)
  • Alun Gwynne-Jones (b.1919)
  • Asa Briggs (b.1921)
  • Thomas Bridges (b.1927)
  • Derek Barber (b.1918)
  • Ian Paisley (b.1926)
  • Richard Attenborough (b.1923)
There should be an obit for any of these.

Asa Briggs death reduces the no to 11 still alive http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35813749

Bibliogryphon's list was a bit of a killing field, so to update, I thought I'd look at the new names on the list since 2015. However, this was scuppered by them all having sensible reasons for the sabbatical, like taking up an interest in trams, or walking across Brazil for UNICEF, or not being arsed with politics. Roy Hattersley is on one, but I've not heard anything about him, mores the pity.

The only exception (beyond Ian Paisley's widow, perhaps) was Lord Wade of Chorlton (b. 1932), a former treasurer for the Tory party during the Thatcher era. He once said: "Any well brought-up young man should have a mistress, a yacht and a racehorse." And there in lies my entire knowledge of him. Will get an obit one day.

• Like 1

A list of Lords from The Lord of Lists

The following 20 peers are the oldest of those who have been given extended leave of absence from their duties in the Lords. It is possible that such leave is granted for other reasons such as holding a UN or EU political appointed post but considering the youngest of these will be 87 this year I imagine most of them are ill or frail, and remember there are many older people than this still active in the Upper House.

• Michael Sandberg (b.1927)
  • John (J D) Sainsbury (b.1927)
  • Gwilym prys Prys-Davies (b.1923)
  • Jim Prior (b.1927)
  • Beryl Platt (b.1923)
  • Olive Nicol (b.1923)
  • James Molyneaux (b.1920)
  • Roy Mason (b.1924)
  • George Mackie (b.1919)
  • Betty Lockwood (b.1924)
  • Philip Knights (b.1920)
  • William Griffiths (b.1923)
  • Robert Goff (b.1926)
  • Robert Lindsay (b.1927)
  • Alun Gwynne-Jones (b.1919)
  • Asa Briggs (b.1921)
  • Thomas Bridges (b.1927)
  • Derek Barber (b.1918)
  • Ian Paisley (b.1926)
  • Richard Attenborough (b.1923)
There should be an obit for any of these.

Asa Briggs death reduces the no to 11 still alive http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35813749

Bibliogryphon's list was a bit of a killing field, so to update, I thought I'd look at the new names on the list since 2015. However, this was scuppered by them all having sensible reasons for the sabbatical, like taking up an interest in trams, or walking across Brazil for UNICEF, or not being arsed with politics. Roy Hattersley is on one, but I've not heard anything about him, mores the pity.

The only exception (beyond Ian Paisley's widow, perhaps) was Lord Wade of Chorlton (b. 1932), a former treasurer for the Tory party during the Thatcher era. He once said: "Any well brought-up young man should have a mistress, a yacht and a racehorse." And there in lies my entire knowledge of him. Will get an obit one day.

Robert Goff died a few days ago so exactly half the peers on the list are dead in just 2 years.

• Like 1

President of West Germany between 1974 and 1979, and oft-discussed around these parts, Walter Scheel dead at 97. Six DDP teams will be celebrating with currywurst and Modern Talking tonight.

President of West Germany between 1974 and 1979, and oft-discussed around these parts, Walter Scheel dead at 97. Six DDP teams will be celebrating with currywurst and Modern Talking tonight.

16th hit of the year. I feel I can reach 20 and maybe 30 if I start killing my picks.

Yeah, one of them is me! ;)

Yeah, one of them is me! ;)

And hit number 7 for me in my alternative 50.

George Bush Sr is now in a wheelchair

Any actual evidence for this.

I got to agree with deathray. And if you are going to talk about George bush senior, then plz go to his page, as he is one of our candidates

None I could find

obama-hwbushx-inset-community.jpg

• Like 1

Former Irish foreign minister and deputy PM Peter Barry has died at 88. He helped negotiate the Anglo-Irish agreement

http://utv.ie/News/2016/08/26/Former-Tanaiste-Peter-Barry-dies-aged-88-62512

Looking at the picture he's either in shock or someone is pointing a gun at him (whcih would be ironic).

Willie Clarke, 81, Britain's last remaining Communist Party councillor (although he latterly stood as an independent) has resigned his seat on health grounds. He was diagnosed with skin cancer in 2011 and did not see that as any reason to stand down, so it could potentially be something more serious. Of course it could be general age related decrepitude catching up with him, but going by the photo in this recent article, he should be kept under observation...

"Uzbek President Islam Karimov has been taken to hospital, the government says, amid rumours that he is seriously ill. Unconfirmed reports quoted by the Fergananews website said that Mr Karimov had suffered a stroke."

Source: BBC

"Uzbek President Islam Karimov has been taken to hospital, the government says, amid rumours that he is seriously ill. Unconfirmed reports quoted by the Fergananews website said that Mr Karimov had suffered a stroke."

He'll always remind me of the 2012 US presidential election, when Herman Cain proclaimed he didn't know the President of Uz-beki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan.

Does he have a brother, Cashan?