Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Guest Guest

I admit it's not going to make global headlines,but the former prime minister of Lithuania Bronislovas Lubys has died

Guest Guest

The oldest living former member of the US congress Perkins Bass has died at 99

A Belgian (not famous outside Belgium, I guess): former deputy Prime Minister of Belgium Willy De Clercq died today. I only have a Dutch language news source, but I suppose the news will eventually percolate into English ones.

regards,

Hein

Lee Teng-Hui, 88, the former President of Taiwan, has undergone surgery to remove a cancerous tumour from his colon.

Interested to hear via Reuters that George McGovern was admitted to hospital suffering from fatigue. Now aged 89, I'm sure he has not featured on many people's radar of late.

Japan's Emperor Akihito has been admitted to hospital suffering from fever and bronchitis, the royal palace said.

The 77-year-old emperor "will be hospitalised from tonight because he has had a persistent fever and begun to show more concerning symptoms of bronchitis," a spokesman for the imperial household agency said.

Television footage later showed the Emperor arriving by car at the University of Tokyo Hospital accompanied by Empress Michiko.

He will be treated at the hospital only days after his granddaughter Aiko - the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako - was hospitalised there for pneumonia.

Princess Aiko was discharged on Saturday.

Emperor Akihito, who acceded to the throne in 1989 following the death of his father Emperor Hirohito, underwent surgery for prostate cancer in 2003.

[snip]

Emperor Akihito had surgery for prostate cancer in 2003 and suffered stress-related health issues in late 2008, including irregular pulse and stomach bleeding.

Source: http://www.abc.net.a...talised/3638492

Labour Peer Philip Gould has died following a battle with cancer

• Like 1

**** **** and more ****. Bastard couldn't make it 2 more months?

Well, that's handicapped everyone's 2012 line-ups then. What a selfish prick.

Well that's one less name to add to the database...

I wonder what will Mossad will do to silence Sarkozy after today's gem?

French President Nicolas Sarkozy called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a "liar" in talks with US President Barack Obama, who then complained of having to deal with him daily, a report said Tuesday.

The private conversation, held during the G20 summit in the French city of Cannes last week, was overheard by a number of journalists after it was inadvertently transmitted over a system used for translation, media website Arret sur Images reported.

"I can't see him anymore, he's a liar," Sarkozy said in French during the talks.

"You may be sick of him, but me, I have to deal with him every day," Obama replied in comments that were translated into French.

A number of journalists contacted by AFP confirmed hearing the remarks.

Edit: http://www.france24.com/en/20111108-sarkozy-netanyahu-g20-liar-obama-benjamin-nicolas-barack

Former Ukraine PM Yulia Tymoshenko is in 'poor health' according to a Ukrainian Human Rights group.

No clarification on the nature of the illness but according to President Viktor Yanukovich "... the system (of medical treatment in jail) … is not up to the required standards. So this treatment or medical services will have to be provided in medical institutions in Kiev, in the coming days, either today or tomorrow,"

Nice story here about the fortunes of Latin American leaders who are suffering cancer. Things aren't looking too good for Alberto Fujimori

Fujimori, 73, who is serving a 25-year prison sentence for corruption and human rights abuses while in office, has cancer in his tongue and mouth. He was taken from jail to a hospital last week for treatment of a variety of ailments, including depression and weight loss.

His condition prompted his daughter Keiko to appeal to President Ollanta Humala, who defeated her in a presidential election earlier this year, not to let her father die in jail. “It's not fair for him or any other person,” Keiko told a radio interviewer. “You have to see him as a human being

Nice story here about the fortunes of Latin American leaders who are suffering cancer. Things aren't looking too good for Alberto Fujimori

Fujimori, 73, who is serving a 25-year prison sentence for corruption and human rights abuses while in office, has cancer in his tongue and mouth. He was taken from jail to a hospital last week for treatment of a variety of ailments, including depression and weight loss.

His condition prompted his daughter Keiko to appeal to President Ollanta Humala, who defeated her in a presidential election earlier this year, not to let her father die in jail. “It's not fair for him or any other person,” Keiko told a radio interviewer. “You have to see him as a human being

He's probably as fit as a butcher's dog...

General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

"The leader of defunct Republic of Biafra, which seceded from Nigeria in 1967, has died in a London hospital at the age of 78".

That'll be a hit for my esteemed predecessor should the right obit appear...

General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

"The leader of defunct Republic of Biafra, which seceded from Nigeria in 1967, has died in a London hospital at the age of 78".

That'll be a hit for my esteemed predecessor should the right obit appear...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15905108

And here it is.

• Like 1