Political Frailty

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

And?...

39 in a year I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

E?...

He died the day before his 38th birthday, that's all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 27/10/2022 at 13:09, arghton said:

Tony Street, Australia's Minister of Foreign Affairs 1980-1983 (also held other positions in Malcolm Fraser's govt) dead at 96.

Australia has a lot of elderly politicians. Bill Grayden is 102, Elisabeth Kirkby is 101, Wylie Gibbs is 100, Tom Hughes and Bill Nankivell are 99, former Governor of South Australia Eric Neal is 98, Ron Elstob is 97, Hugh Hiscutt and former President of the Senate Doug McClelland are 96 (not sure if Neville Harper is alive, if he is, he's also 96), Bruce Eastick, Bob Ellicott and others are 95.

NZ has a few born in the 1920s (Gray Nelson and former National Party Chairman George Chapman are 95, Hugh Templeton and Colin Moyle are 93. Old populist George Groombridge, still marked living on Wiki, died this year at 94)

Other Oceanian countries + Hawaii and other territories have only* George Ariyoshi, former Gov of Hawaii, 96 and Marshall Islands' former First Lady Emlain Kabua who is 94. I'm amazed by how Emlain Kabua has lived so long, has also been quite frail for the last few years.

Charles Walker, ancient Fijian politician and former Minister of Finance died last year at 92 according to facebook posts.

*Counting those born 1930-1932, there's also 92-year-old Hawaii Republican Pat Saiki, ex-President of French Polynesia Gaston Flosse, 91, Falima Teao of Tokelau who like Visesio Moeliku I doubt is alive and Harish Sharma of Fiji. Average life expectancy of an Oceanian politician seems to be around half of that of a tennis player/Chinese politician.

Ron Elstob died on 16 March, aged 98 as per Australian Hansard.

Unknown.jpeg.b1acd84d985a210085ad9102c7b93b58.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yes.

Just like Erdogan and Vucic.

• Like 2

On 07/05/2023 at 12:46, drol said:

Not yet apparently.

Oommen Chandy out of ICU.

Latest turn is that early this week some paper said that Oommen Chandy is "very critical". However, family said that it's fake news and the family lawyer has sent a defamation notice to that reporter.

I think this is the end or atleast the start of the end. He's been undergoing immunotherapy for months and a serious bout of pneumonia doesn't go well with throat cancer that's likely terminal. They've not released any pictures of him anytime recently unlike during his previous hospitalisations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Los Angeles politician and popular Windy City pick Gloria Molina dead at 74.

A month too late for my Cup team.  Did anyone select her?  *runs to go see*

• Like 1

Lord Peter Brooke (wiki) dead at 89.

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland under both Thatcher and Major, as well as Paymaster General under the former.
MP for the Cities of London and Westminster (1977–2001).

Telegraph obit.

peter-brooke-baron-brooke-of-sutton-mandeville-346fcc29-8584-4ab6-ad9a-f0152b17e96-resize-750.jpg.2c74d95cc321f0c9a705607bb1defbf7.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland under both Thatcher and Major, as well as Paymaster General under the former.

Telegraph obit.

peter-brooke-baron-brooke-of-sutton-mandeville-346fcc29-8584-4ab6-ad9a-f0152b17e96-resize-750.jpg.2c74d95cc321f0c9a705607bb1defbf7.jpg

Beaten by Betty Boothroyd for Speaker of the Commons.

Now both beaten by the Reaper's scythe this very year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Beaten by Betty Boothroyd for Speaker of the Commons.

Now both beaten by the Reaper's scythe this very year.

He managed to convince Thatcher to allow preliminary talks with Sinn Fein. That's practically walking on water for miracle achievements.

EDIT - List of the Missed, last picked in 2014 by a theme team!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lukashenko probably worth of his own thread? He always reminds me of perennial "oh that guy" British sitcom regular David Haig:

MV5BMTM1ODE3ODk0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA4

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

He managed to convince Thatcher to allow preliminary talks with Sinn Fein. That's practically walking on water for miracle achievements.

By that point, Thatcher would have agreed to anything, given her position was already slipping away.

Honestly, I remember nothing of his tenure as NI Secretary, whereas I do remember Tom King and Patrick Mayhew.

Suggests to me a nothing politician in a safe Tory seat. Apart from losing to Boothroyd, he's a totally meaningless politician to me.

50 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

By that point, Thatcher would have agreed to anything, given her position was already slipping away.

Honestly, I remember nothing of his tenure as NI Secretary, whereas I do remember Tom King and Patrick Mayhew.

I'm afraid you're more charitable to Maggie than I am. I'm aware of how anti-Irish she was even to the end of her tenure and that comes from allies Iike Ingham and Hurd as much as the pro Irish side. 

Will say as Heritage sec him and Major ok'd the National Lottery, from which I am yet to win even a tenner. The bastards! :lol::lol:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm afraid you're more charitable to Maggie than I am. I'm aware of how anti-Irish she was even to the end of her tenure and that comes from allies Iike Ingham and Hurd as much as the pro Irish side. 

Will say as Heritage sec him and Major ok'd the National Lottery, from which I am yet to win even a tenner. The bastards! :lol::lol:

Me - charitable to Maggie? How very dare you!

She wasn't anti-Irish anyway. It's much worse than that. She was anti-compassion, anti-humanity, anti-community but very much line your own pockets and those of your millionaire friends to the expense of the people - wait, am I describing Thatcher or the current bunch of bastards? (Answer is both, Thatcher was at least competent).

I think what I was trying to say is that she would take a vote from an ally in a leadership contest and do anything to get it rather than lose that ally and vote by rejecting their suggestion. Didn't she get her arse kicked over the silencing of Gerry Adams?

Anyhow, Brooke would, over her tenure, be a guaranteed vote for her policies - so hey, I'm not sorry he's dead.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Telegraph obit.

Nothing outside the Telegraph or Times so far not even on the BBC NI News page or NI Papers how odd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Nothing outside the Telegraph or Times so far not even on the BBC NI News page or NI Papers how odd

Guardian obit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

BBC Report

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Honestly, I remember nothing of his tenure as NI Secretary

I remember him being known as "Babbling Brooke" due to his stutter. 

He didn't do himself any favours when he sang Oh My Darling, Clementine on Gaye Byrne's Late Late Show just hours after the IRA had blown up a builders van killing 8 and wounding 6. 

• Like 3

On 04/11/2022 at 21:25, arghton said:

Gaston Flosse, by the way, seems like the Mahathir Mohamad/Juan Ponce Enrile of Oceania, 91 but still very politically active. He's been the President of French Polynesia, overseas French country and collectivity a total of five times, 1984-1987, 1991-2004, 2004-2005, 2008 and 2013-2014. Quite corrupt and controversial.

flosse.jpg.555b2c27772206c60a61b46f1f746167.jpg

Recently he's been given a nine-month jail sentence, an US$8,000 fine, and has been declared ineligible for public office for five years meaning he can't run in the French Polynesia 2023 elections. I wonder if he'd qualify a  French Sweepstake pick

Gaston Flosse recently hospitalised, but has been discharged already and apparently back in politics, leading his party again. 92 next month.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2023 at 00:12, The Old Crem said:

I honestly thought he was already dead. 

He looked a lot older than late 50s when he was a Cabinet Minister.