Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

David Taylor swapped sedentary parliament for a brisk walk on Boxing Day. He ain't marching anymore!
  • Like 1

Veteran Indian communist Jyoti Basu, 96, is in intensive care suffering from pneumonia...

I believe he was the oldest former leader of a country, still living.

Does anybody know who is it now. (Maybe the ex-president of Senegal or Suriname)

The oldest living former head of state is now Johan Ferrier of Suriname

Not any more. Shame, just over 4 months shy of his 100th birthday. Picked in the 2009 DDP so I'm guessing he was picked for 2010. Some confirmation maninblack? This means that Vo Chi Cong is now the oldest surviving head of state, at 97 years old. :)

Does anybody know who is it now. (Maybe the ex-president of Senegal or Suriname)

Not any more. Shame, just over 4 months shy of his 100th birthday. Picked in the 2009 DDP so I'm guessing he was picked for 2010. Some confirmation maninblack? This means that Vo Chi Cong is now the oldest surviving head of state, at 97 years old. :)

If this fellow is counted, then it turns out that Ferrier was only the oldest from January 09 on. In any case, he ''is'' on the CPDP, so I suppose I should update that later today.

If this fellow is counted, then it turns out that Ferrier was only the oldest from January 09 on. In any case, he ''is'' on the CPDP, so I suppose I should update that later today.

Who's is the current oldest now?

Well it's written in my post that you quoted ;)

Not any more. Shame, just over 4 months shy of his 100th birthday. Picked in the 2009 DDP so I'm guessing he was picked for 2010. Some confirmation maninblack? This means that Vo Chi Cong is now the oldest surviving head of state, at 97 years old. :(

Who's is the current oldest now?

Well it's written in my post that you quoted :)

sorry about that, I can't believe he was two years younger than Ferrier (more space between them than I thought).

Apparently the list of oldest leaders seems to be getting younger with De Jong as fifth oldest and Shamir as seventh oldest.

Will he die at age 99 just like Ferrier and Mamo before him?

Dutch former PM Piet de Jong is not very likely to live as long as his predecessor Willem Drees though, who died in 1988, less then two months short of his 102nd birthday. He was one of the architects of the old-age insurance (that's what you call foresight...) and his austerity was legendary. It is said that when American Marshall-aid inspectors once visited the prime minister at his place, mrs. Drees served them nothing but tea with (cheap) cookies. It has turned out to be an urban legend, but it illustrates the typical sober mentality of the 1950's.

Vladislav Ardzinba, the first president of Abkhazia, has finally broken away from everybody.

Tassos Papadopoulos, former President of Cyprus, has been flown to an American clinic after experiencing "back pains". It does seem rather a long way to travel to get an aching back treated...
Tassos Papadopoulos is now said to be suffering from lung cancer. :skull:

It's breaking news. You called it Devon.

More breaking news - Papadopoulos has died..
Even more breaking news. His corpse has been stolen. :)

And from the breakingest news: reportedly his corpse has been found. :party:

regards,

Hein

Word around the campfire (and by "around the campfire" I mean "from dudes currently schlepping it out on the BBC.com web team") is that the Auntie's obituary team has spent most of the week obsessively polishing up Maggie's send-off. Make of that what you will.

Word around the campfire (and by "around the campfire" I mean "from dudes currently schlepping it out on the BBC.com web team") is that the Auntie's obituary team has spent most of the week obsessively polishing up Maggie's send-off. Make of that what you will.

With a General Election on the way (May 6th most likely), if Thatcher was to die, that would makes things somewhat awkward..

Former Dutch Foreign Minister and Defence Minister and Minister of State Hans van Mierlo has died at 78.

Hans_van_Mierlo_fractievoorzitter.jpg

According to a Dutch online news site he died from a failing transplanted liver. This doesn't surprise me a bit, as Mr van Mierlo liked his drink.

regards,

Hein

Current serving Middlesborough South and East Cleveland MP Ashok Kumar has been found dead at his home, aged 54.

At (The Funeral) Home with The Kumars

Thats A-shok!

Are they sure he's dead and not just in a Kumar?

Guest Guest
ed3.jpg

Former Greek PM Tzannis Tzannetakis has died in an Athens hospital, aged 82.

Former Greek PM Tzannis Tzannetakis has died in an Athens hospital, aged 82.

Tzank you very much!

Apologies if this has been posted already (I did do a search, but it's not the most reliable of things)...

President of Poland Lech Kaczynski among the dead in Russian plane crash. Story here.

*sits back and waits for the conspiracy theories to begin*

Check wikipedia's deaths in 2010 page. That's one hell of a lot of notable people to perish in a single incident.

It's a fucking huge score in Scrabble 'n all!