Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

People in Britain are mature enough to accept that a lone nutter does not represent an entire organisation.

You obviously have more faith in the GB public than I have then.

Batley & Spen used to be my old stomping ground by dint of living on a road that straddled Bradford and Kirklees (indeed, it's the only time I've ever voted in a GE where the person I voted for got in (1992)), and so obviously I know Birstall very well. It's unthinkable something like this could happen there. It also turns out she was a friend of a friend, though I didn't know her myself. Said friend is devastated.

When the referendum was first announced I really hoped the UK would finally have a proper, grown-up, honest debate on immigration, as that's what it was going to boil down to. Nope, not even close. And, despite this, regardless of how the referendum goes - and yes, I think it may have an effect on the result though even in death a week is a long time in politics - such a debate is still sorely needed. Hopefully politics will grow up after this tragedy. God knows it needs to.

Bloody awful news and thoughts go out to family, friends and the good people of her constituency. Would I be right in saying she's the first MP to be murdered in the modern era that wasn't anything to do with the IRA?

Yeah last was Ian Gow in 1990.

"Britain First" claim probably a hoax

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/743464352066453504

Clearly shouted 'Britain's the WORST', which means it may have been IRA after all :skill2:

SC

Using my Spidey sense of deduction, .....

From Kilmarnock, rascist, Britain First supporter....

Conclusion - nah.

Mr Ahmed Tahir , one of the witnesses at the scene, has had to put a sign up in his launderette...

39758.jpg

Conspiracy abounds...

• Like 2

Regarding the death of Jo Cox, this article by favourite blogger, 'Anna Raccoon', pretty much sums up my feelings. BTW 'Anna Raccoon' is very unwell with cancer, but I'm not sure she'd get the required obit and I don't know what her real name is anyway.

Such an undignified tussle over Jo Cox’s still warm corpse.

Who can make the most mileage in their chosen campaign by invoking her name?

Will you be sending off for the ‘false flag wristband’ to show that you subscribe to the ‘she was murdered by M16 to try to stop the Referendum’.

Or will your £2 go to the ‘feminists against misogyny’ pink wristband to help prove to the world that life is inherently dangerous for women?

Perhaps it is the tasteful ‘he subscribed to a right wing magazine 20 years ago so obviously a fascist’ black and gold number?

Or maybe it is the rare but still available ‘Jo knew who killed Jill Dando and was about to spill the beans’ with attached #CSA charm?

If nothing has appealed to you so far, you could snap up the ‘Evil Tory government have cut mental health care and this is what happens’ black and white number.

How about the ‘Jo nominated Jeremy Corbyn for leader’ factional ‘Labour for metro-luvvies’ band?

Or the ‘She was on that boat with that millionaire Bob Geldorf sneering at fishermen the day before….’ band made from genuine fish-gut?

There are a few ‘Female MPs get death threats on Twitter and Jo was no exception – this shows what happens when you don’t ban Twitter’ grey and pink bands left.

If you are of a more international bent, you could join the gun lobby nuts in the US who would like you to retweet that ‘even in a country where guns are banned, politicians still get killed’.

You could wear a ‘Palestinian heart’ on your sleeve and point to Jo’s long campaign to bring more Syrian refugees into the country, and how their plight is all the fault of the Israelis.

Or you could, you really, really could, if you tried very hard, remember that Jo was not the only woman who died yesterday.

Other women, and men (they mattered too), died from road accidents, illness and criminal acts – and they all left behind grieving families, motherless and fatherless children, and their pain is no more and no less than that of Jo’s family.

You could even leave Jo to rest amongst their anonymous ranks for a few days, just until she grows cold and is decently buried, before you make her an icon for your chosen cause.

Just saying, like.

• Like 3

Italian news agencies were disgusting. They say he's shouted Britain First as a matter of fact, while it's probably false and they compare this to Halibut shooting and Britain First to Allah Akbar. I know they are EU side and love fake democracy, but this is just too much.

Zorders (and you all), try to read this article (in Italian). You will need the toilet...

http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/mondo/2016/06/16/gb-deputata-labour-accoltellata-a-comizio-e-grave_7da03c60-6e57-4c8c-a0bf-b06069ac82c1.html

You should go back to making your usual posts that contain nothing of note, drol.

• Like 1

Regarding the death of Jo Cox, this article by favourite blogger, 'Anna Raccoon', pretty much sums up my feelings. BTW 'Anna Raccoon' is very unwell with cancer, but I'm not sure she'd get the required obit and I don't know what her real name is anyway.

Such an undignified tussle over Jo Cox’s still warm corpse.

Who can make the most mileage in their chosen campaign by invoking her name?

Will you be sending off for the ‘false flag wristband’ to show that you subscribe to the ‘she was murdered by M16 to try to stop the Referendum’.

Or will your £2 go to the ‘feminists against misogyny’ pink wristband to help prove to the world that life is inherently dangerous for women?

Perhaps it is the tasteful ‘he subscribed to a right wing magazine 20 years ago so obviously a fascist’ black and gold number?

Or maybe it is the rare but still available ‘Jo knew who killed Jill Dando and was about to spill the beans’ with attached #CSA charm?

If nothing has appealed to you so far, you could snap up the ‘Evil Tory government have cut mental health care and this is what happens’ black and white number.

How about the ‘Jo nominated Jeremy Corbyn for leader’ factional ‘Labour for metro-luvvies’ band?

Or the ‘She was on that boat with that millionaire Bob Geldorf sneering at fishermen the day before….’ band made from genuine fish-gut?

There are a few ‘Female MPs get death threats on Twitter and Jo was no exception – this shows what happens when you don’t ban Twitter’ grey and pink bands left.

If you are of a more international bent, you could join the gun lobby nuts in the US who would like you to retweet that ‘even in a country where guns are banned, politicians still get killed’.

You could wear a ‘Palestinian heart’ on your sleeve and point to Jo’s long campaign to bring more Syrian refugees into the country, and how their plight is all the fault of the Israelis.

Or you could, you really, really could, if you tried very hard, remember that Jo was not the only woman who died yesterday.

Other women, and men (they mattered too), died from road accidents, illness and criminal acts – and they all left behind grieving families, motherless and fatherless children, and their pain is no more and no less than that of Jo’s family.

You could even leave Jo to rest amongst their anonymous ranks for a few days, just until she grows cold and is decently buried, before you make her an icon for your chosen cause.

Just saying, like.

Ah yeah, I'd almost forgotten the real crime, people's reactions to murders on the internet afterwards.

You should go back to making your usual posts that contain nothing of note, drol.

Like this?

• Like 2

I'm amazed people are getting pissy me for defending her. Can you guys get through your thick heads that zorders was using this for his extremist agenda.

I'm amazed people are getting pissy me for defending her. Can you guys get through your thick heads that zorders was using this for his extremist agenda.

Shut up, please.

Obvious Zyklon is obvious.

But that doesn't negate some of his points......

At your age I thought all MPs were legitimate targets. This might have totally different reasons for it, but cry me a river, I ain't mellowed that much. Two young weans, she should've been at home.

• Like 1

Your trolling for likes is even lower than people trying to score points. I wasn't getting upset at Rover. I quoted him/her* because he he/she mentioned my post.

I don't think any side has the moral victory here. How can they when a senseless death has been involved.

Though I have to say that I would have more sympathy with Rover if s/he hadn't liked the "cock" post and I'd probably have more sympathy with Dr Z if he didn't use such lame nicknames in his posts.

*I don't know whether Rover is male or female. Sorry.

Apologies Handrejka, my comment wasn't even slightly aimed at you, I saw your comment and your apology. It was aimed at Zorders' suggestion that Mr Cox was somehow making hay where Mrs Timms had not, as if this meant anything.

I liked the fact that Cat had accepted Willz' challenge to find a gif appropriate to his comment and succeeded, nothing more. I liked none of the Cox jokes, and if you read my post in the by-election bingo thread I made a point of saying I was pleased that her death has scored nobody any points in that particular sideshow.

Morbidkid, I like things that engage me enough to make me want to like them, I don't just like anything that vaguely 'supports' my argument, which in this instance is simply that a young woman has been brutally murdered and it's pointless to speculate on motives and responses without the facts. The media will speculate because that's what they do. The politicians are united in grief tonight, and it's not very often we can say that. Hopefully some good can somehow come out of this further down the line.

And for future reference, I'm male.

Thanks. I hadn't seen Dr Z's post and assumed (there I go again) that it was me.

I just saw your post in the by-election bingo thread and I agree with every word. I've seen an awful lot of crap on social media, the most worrying being normal everyday people who seem to be frothing at the mouth in delight that the killer is a white man with links to right wing groups just so they can say how bad Britain First is and they forget that a person has died. I've seen crap from the other side too of course.

Fair enough re the like.

Yeah, there's plenty of unintelligible bile to go round. I'll admit when it first happened, I hoped the attacker wasn't Halibut as it just played into the hands of that brigade, especially so soon after Orlando. The fact he's white doesn't mean he's a neo nazi or anything, chances are he's got mental issues and latched on to those ideas as a 'purpose', as with most of these people regardless of creed, colour or religion. The point is nobody knows anything so speculating at all is just fairly pointless right now.

Not entirely sure I get the antipathy towards cox/cocks. I've always considered this site somewhere where black humour was acceptable, nay even encouraged. By its very nature some will be offended by some comments and others by different ones.

This is to me at any rate in the same vein as the fact that a dead pool isn't wishing death upon anyone. But it happens and there is naught we can do about it, predicting it is not the same wishing or taking pleasure from the death of anyone, to me, black humour is the same. Cox/Cocks may not be terribly inspired, but I personally cannot see how it is offensive, or at least no more offensive than a lot else around here.

Maybe it was the kind of joke that could have waited a bit longer, maybe until she was actually buried?

What he said.

I'm fully aware black humour comes with the territory but the poor lass died in a brutal way less than 12 hours ago. I caught this relatively early on and saw the press conference live where the chief constable confirmed that - far from being in critical condition - she was dead, and I'm not ashamed to say tears came to my eyes. Death is a part of life, but some death is more shocking, more sudden and more unpleasant than others.

Personally, I'll never tell anyone off for a joke, each to their own, but I guess it's just a case of reading the general mood. You can tell it's struck a chord when even deathlisters are pretty sombre.

Then as far as I can see it's where one personally draws the line. Such is humour and such is where some professional comedians overstep the mark for many people, if the yardstick is exactly how many people or over a certain percentage, then said comedian tones it down or plays to a limited market or ceases to make a living from humour at all.

I wouldn't have made the joke either, alternatively I'm not about to jump up and down on somebody who has.

To clarify, I wasn't offended by it, infact I didn't even know about it until Handy mentioned it.

Its not a part of the forum that interests me.

What I will say though is that you cant throw the 'Black Humour' label at something that isn't funny or appropriate and hope it placates people.

It does amaze me sometimes, this place is probably the most tolerant and free thinking forums out there, virtually anything goes yet people still don't understand that those that don't share the forum ethos could cause some very serious shit that could have far reaching consequences for individuals as well as the forum.

You really have to be VERY careful what you say here, the forum isn't hidden, its not bullet proof and what happened in the past here could easily happen again but with even greater venom and danger to people.

By all means think its scaremongering, bullshit or tell everybody that you don't give a shit. Whatever.

Your trolling for likes is even lower than people trying to score points. I wasn't getting upset at Rover. I quoted him/her* because he he/she mentioned my post.

I don't think any side has the moral victory here. How can they when a senseless death has been involved.

Though I have to say that I would have more sympathy with Rover if s/he hadn't liked the "cock" post and I'd probably have more sympathy with Dr Z if he didn't use such lame nicknames in his posts.

Apologies Handrejka, my comment wasn't even slightly aimed at you, I saw your comment and your apology. It was aimed at Zorders' suggestion that Mr Cox was somehow making hay where Mrs Timms had not, as if this meant anything.

I liked the fact that Cat had accepted Willz' challenge to find a gif appropriate to his comment and succeeded, nothing more. I liked none of the Cox jokes, and if you read my post in the by-election bingo thread I made a point of saying I was pleased that her death has scored nobody any points in that particular sideshow.

Morbidkid, I like things that engage me enough to make me want to like them, I don't just like anything that vaguely 'supports' my argument, which in this instance is simply that a young woman has been brutally murdered and it's pointless to speculate on motives and responses without the facts. The media will speculate because that's what they do. The politicians are united in grief tonight, and it's not very often we can say that. Hopefully some good can somehow come out of this further down the line.

Thanks. I hadn't seen Dr Z's post and assumed (there I go again) that it was me.

I just saw your post in the by-election bingo thread and I agree with every word. I've seen an awful lot of crap on social media, the most worrying being normal everyday people who seem to be frothing at the mouth in delight that the killer is a white man with links to right wing groups just so they can say how bad Britain First is and they forget that a person has died. I've seen crap from the other side too of course.

Fair enough re the like.

Yeah, there's plenty of unintelligible bile to go round. I'll admit when it first happened, I hoped the attacker wasn't Halibut as it just played into the hands of that brigade, especially so soon after Orlando. The fact he's white doesn't mean he's a neo nazi or anything, chances are he's got mental issues and latched on to those ideas as a 'purpose', as with most of these people regardless of creed, colour or religion. The point is nobody knows anything so speculating at all is just fairly pointless right now.

Not entirely sure I get the antipathy towards cox/cocks. I've always considered this site somewhere where black humour was acceptable, nay even encouraged. By its very nature some will be offended by some comments and others by different ones.

This is to me at any rate in the same vein as the fact that a dead pool isn't wishing death upon anyone. But it happens and there is naught we can do about it, predicting it is not the same wishing or taking pleasure from the death of anyone, to me, black humour is the same. Cox/Cocks may not be terribly inspired, but I personally cannot see how it is offensive, or at least no more offensive than a lot else around here.

Maybe it was the kind of joke that could have waited a bit longer, maybe until she was actually buried?

What he said.

I'm fully aware black humour comes with the territory but the poor lass died in a brutal way less than 12 hours ago. I caught this relatively early on and saw the press conference live where the chief constable confirmed that - far from being in critical condition - she was dead, and I'm not ashamed to say tears came to my eyes. Death is a part of life, but some death is more shocking, more sudden and more unpleasant than others.

Personally, I'll never tell anyone off for a joke, each to their own, but I guess it's just a case of reading the general mood. You can tell it's struck a chord when even deathlisters are pretty sombre.

Then as far as I can see it's where one personally draws the line. Such is humour and such is where some professional comedians overstep the mark for many people, if the yardstick is exactly how many people or over a certain percentage, then said comedian tones it down or plays to a limited market or ceases to make a living from humour at all.

I wouldn't have made the joke either, alternatively I'm not about to jump up and down on somebody who has.

To clarify, I wasn't offended by it, infact I didn't even know about it until Handy mentioned it.

What I will say though is that you cant throw the 'Black Humour' label at something that isn't funny or appropriate and hope it placates people.

It does amaze me sometimes, this place is probably the most tolerant and free thinking forums out there, virtually anything goes yet people still don't understand that those that don't share the forum ethos could cause some very serious shit that could have far reaching consequences for individuals as well as the forum.

You really have to be VERY careful what you say here, the forum isn't hidden, its not bullet proof and what happened in the past here could easily happen again but with even greater venom and danger to people.

By all means think its scaremongering, bullshit or tell everybody that you don't give a shit. Whatever.

Funny, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. You cannot say something isn't funny, you can only say something isn't funny to you.

Whether something is appropriate is also a judgement call, not an absolute, Some may think something is appropriate, others may not. At least within the confines of a discussion as opposed to turning up for work in a onesie (which one may still argue is appropriate, but rather depends on who is paying whom)

I am not unaware of Quantickgate and some of the other history here. If you feel the origin of all this might lead somewhere similar, that's your call, or the moderators. I re-iterate though, it wasn't my comment in the first place, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't appear to be lecturing me on the history of this place.

I was pretty unaware of the cox/cocks thing too until it all started getting heated, and the only part I even remotely laughed at was cats gif, and that in isolation i.e without consideration to the reason for it's reason for being posted in the first place.

You may find this difficult to believe, but I also feel it is too soon to joke about this awful murder I'm not certain that for me I'd ever find a joke about it funny in its own right.

However, I am aware this is how I feel, it may not be how others do and it is not my place to judge them. You seem to feel that it IS your place to judge me (and others), on limited information at that, at any rate that appears to be the case if the rest of your post is in response to what I personally have written and not just scattergunned to anyone. As to the last sentence, again, if that was aimed at me, don't put words in my mouth, or thoughts in my brain, I didn't say or think that.

Right....

Just picking one bit out of that custard...

Why was the murder 'awful'. ?

For the record , although I hadn't been on that thread at all, I had been trying to fit a 'jo bodypart ' gag in, was looking for a 3rd.

Jo Cox, Joe Hart both had days they'll forget but I couldn't find a 'Jo Legg.

• Like 1

Hmm, I saw my comment as a self-deprecating muse on me picking the wrong MP, with associated double entendre, again aimed at myself.

What has happened is horrific and I would never joke about that.

For those who missed it first time and since.

At no point did I mention the person concerned nor was the comment directed at her, the circumstances surrounding her death. Unlike some direct comments I could quote.

You have to try really really hard to make that link, and continued discussion that the joke actually made that link is simply wrong imo.

Edit: I agree with Handy's comments about hypersensitivity in the wake of what happened...maybe that's the case here.

First sitting MP to be murdered by someone other than the IRA since Spencer Percival.

Been thinking on this for a day Spade.

Take it the 'sitting' part gets around the Bobby Sands conundrum?

I can laugh or not laugh at what I please, so can anyone else. I can find what I want distasteful, others can likewise determine for themselves.

The part I object to, is people attempting to impress their values on others. To paraphrase that old quote:- I may not agree with what you say, but I defend absolutely your right to say it.

Fair enough re the like.

What he said.

Funny, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. You cannot say something isn't funny, you can only say something isn't funny to you.

Whether something is appropriate is also a judgement call, not an absolute, Some may think something is appropriate, others may not. At least within the confines of a discussion as opposed to turning up for work in a onesie (which one may still argue is appropriate, but rather depends on who is paying whom)

I am not unaware of Quantickgate and some of the other history here. If you feel the origin of all this might lead somewhere similar, that's your call, or the moderators. I re-iterate though, it wasn't my comment in the first place, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't appear to be lecturing me on the history of this place.

I was pretty unaware of the cox/cocks thing too until it all started getting heated, and the only part I even remotely laughed at was cats gif, and that in isolation i.e without consideration to the reason for it's reason for being posted in the first place.

You may find this difficult to believe, but I also feel it is too soon to joke about this awful murder I'm not certain that for me I'd ever find a joke about it funny in its own right.

However, I am aware this is how I feel, it may not be how others do and it is not my place to judge them. You seem to feel that it IS your place to judge me (and others), on limited information at that, at any rate that appears to be the case if the rest of your post is in response to what I personally have written and not just scattergunned to anyone. As to the last sentence, again, if that was aimed at me, don't put words in my mouth, or thoughts in my brain, I didn't say or think that.

Who is lecturing you? My comments pertaining to the past here and possible futures was a general comment about the way people may view some of the stuff written on here. I clearly said people from the outset, 'you' was generic so dont assume that 'you' referred to you personally, it didn't.

I haven't judged you personally and I haven't judged anybody else, my comments revolved around whether the kind of humour on here is, at times, given the ok because its viewed as black humour.

I don't judge Charon by his humour and comments, he is a sound fella so the notion that im making judgement calls on you or anybody else because I think your take on humour isn't mine is utter horseshit.

Get over yourself.

Then make an effort to make that clear. In using my post as a quoting point, it wasn't. I am over myself thanks all the same.

Then make an effort to make that clear. In using my post as a quoting point, it wasn't. I am over myself thanks all the same.

Good.

Hmm, I saw my comment as a self-deprecating muse on me picking the wrong MP, with associated double entendre, again aimed at myself.

At no point did I mention the person concerned nor was the comment directed at her, the circumstances surrounding her death. Unlike some direct comments I could quote.

You have to try really really hard to make that link, and continued discussion that the joke actually made that link is simply wrong imo.

Edit: I agree with Handy's comments about hypersensitivity in the wake of what happened...maybe that's the case here.

I know there was no malice to the joke nor the gif and, being hypocritical again, if the death were down to natural causes I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. Murder is still shocking to me, living on the Isle of Man where that kind of violent crime is still very rare it still has the power to shock.

There is also the fact that I was treating it as fly cake, putting my focus on that because I was shocked to admit that amidst the lunacy and vileness Dr Z kind of had a point.

Anyway I have a flight to catch tomorrow morning so I'm off.

• Like 1

I know there was no malice to the joke nor the gif and, being hypocritical again, if the death were down to natural causes I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. Murder is still shocking to me, living on the Isle of Man where that kind of violent crime is still very rare it still has the power to shock.

There is also the fact that I was treating it as fly cake, putting my focus on that because I was shocked to admit that amidst the lunacy and vileness Dr Z kind of had a point.

Where ya going Handy?

Where ya going Handy?
ask cat O'Falk he knows.
  • Like 2