Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

I can laugh or not laugh at what I please, so can anyone else. I can find what I want distasteful, others can likewise determine for themselves.

The part I object to, is people attempting to impress their values on others. To paraphrase that old quote:- I may not agree with what you say, but I defend absolutely your right to say it.

For the record, for my part, as I said earlier in this discussion, personally I wouldn't have said anything. The jokes didn't land for me, but for some they may. This forum embraces all types and we all bring something to the party. I may think to myself something was inappropriate or unnecessary but that's for those reading to decide, not for me to proclaim. :)

I'd never heard of Jo Cox before she was murdered.

I hope she and her family soon return to anonymity.

I hope her killer spends the rest of his life behind bars.

I hope people have the good sense not to let this murder influence their vote on the EU referendum.

I suspect that as Jo Cox was a relatively young, photogenic female MP, her murder garnered more media attention than say that of an older fat/ugly MP would've done.

Islam doesn't have the monopoly on mentally ill extremist nutters, sadly their numbers seem to be increasing.

I blame air pollution and daytime TV.

I'm amazed people are getting pissy me for defending her. Can you guys get through your thick heads that zorders was using this for his extremist agenda.

Obvious Zyklon is obvious.

But that doesn't negate some of his points......

At your age I thought all MPs were legitimate targets. This might have totally different reasons for it, but cry me a river, I ain't mellowed that much. Two young weans, she should've been at home.

While there may be some argument to be made for those at the extremes of society (and even then we're on very thorny ground), I don't think I can accept that being an MP somehow means someone's entitled to try to kill you. Furthermore, I'm not sure what the final part of your argument means. Anyone who's a mother to small children shouldn't work? Or that they shouldn't work as an MP? Either way, the idea that these two young kids should grow up to blame their mother for taking a 'dangerous' job as a lawmaker seems somewhat ludicrous. And the argument that 'that's the world we live in' won't work: we shouldn't accept that that's the world we live in.

• Like 1

Halibuts seem to spend so much of their time denying that Islam is violent, and so much of their time saying "THIS INCIDENT WAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM" it's a wonder they have time left for anything else.

At some point, why can't you just realise your fúcking stupid religion is more trouble to you than it's worth, and just give it up? Huh?

Why has no "Liberal" ever told a Halibut to "get in the 21st century" like they have told Christians? Because you are cowards obviously and it's easy for you to be snarky to, and bully, people who won't behead you.

This is clearly a "mental health" murder, same like the Orlando one. Same like the guy who stabbed someone on the tube a few years back. People are reading way too much into it. The issue is people with serious mental health issues that are left untreated living in society and then occasionally something like this happens.

nothing to do with immigrants, gays, politicians, or whatever other agenda people are trying to use it for

I'm amazed people are getting pissy me for defending her. Can you guys get through your thick heads that zorders was using this for his extremist agenda.

At your age I thought all MPs were legitimate targets. This might have totally different reasons for it, but cry me a river, I ain't mellowed that much. Two young weans, she should've been at home.

While there may be some argument to be made for those at the extremes of society (and even then we're on very thorny ground), I don't think I can accept that being an MP somehow means someone's entitled to try to kill you. Furthermore, I'm not sure what the final part of your argument means. Anyone who's a mother to small children shouldn't work? Or that they shouldn't work as an MP? Either way, the idea that these two young kids should grow up to blame their mother for taking a 'dangerous' job as a lawmaker seems somewhat ludicrous. And the argument that 'that's the world we live in' won't work: we shouldn't accept that that's the world we live in.

She left uni and went straight to a charadee gig, then politics. So she never had worked a day in her puff.

There shouldn't have been financial hardship as hubby was a freeloading advisor to Brown, and would've salted enough away (nice houseboat in London , coff).

2 weans under 5, so if they were feeling the pinch, she could've got a job in the evening down the local, ergo she became a politico for greed.

But you should blame the electorate for voting folk like that in.

She left uni and went straight to a charadee gig, then politics. So she never had worked a day in her puff.

There shouldn't have been financial hardship as hubby was a freeloading advisor to Brown, and would've salted enough away (nice houseboat in London , coff).

2 weans under 5, so if they were feeling the pinch, she could've got a job in the evening down the local, ergo she became a politico for greed.

But you should blame the electorate for voting folk like that in.

That has a similar tone to Corbyns 'rise to the top'.

Another campaigner for the working classes/disadvantaged who isn't working class ( despite his protestations) and has never been disadvantaged, apart from being given the name Jeremy.

• Like 2

Either way, regarding the debate above; she was killed by "Death to Traitors, Freedom for Britian" - I guess it's appropriate to use upper case letters since the killer gave that as his name this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36567005

Either way, regarding the debate above; she was killed by "Death to Traitors, Freedom for Britian" - I guess it's appropriate to use upper case letters since the killer gave that as his name this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36567005

Aye, people will be jumping all over that now.

Does look more and more like a sophisticated attack by a highly organized individual with deep and meaningful connections to far right groups innit.

Does look more and more like a sophisticated attack by a highly organized individual with deep and meaningful connections to far right groups innit.

Or else he's a total nutjob.

• Like 1

Shhhhhhhhh!!!! ;)

Shhhhhhhhh!!!! ;)

Sorry, my irony detector must have been turned off.

• Like 2

Update on former Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert: He is to serve his time in the Rochester prison, which is known for his advanced medical facility, specializing in the treatment of HIV and other infectious diseases that need long-term treatment, and also in the treatment of end-stage liver disease:

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/hastert-to-serve-prison-sentence-in-rochester/article_e54e1f2f-7a5a-58b1-ba6d-774fedb2da8c.html

The decline of his health began with a catastrophic blood infection that almost killed him last year.

Death Notice for James Randolph Vigne, a founder member of the African Resistance Movement which started a campaign of sabotage against the Apartheid regime in South Africa and latter a publisher and author. Fled to Britain in 1964. http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/203827/vigne

More about him here: http://www.sahistory.org.za/people/james-randolph-vigne

Romanian General and Former Defense Minister Victor A. Stanculescu, who overthrew Nicolae Ceasescu's dictatorship in 1989, died yesterday aged 88.

http://www.hotnews.ro/stiri-esential-21092917-fostul-general-victor-atanasie-stanculescu-condamnat-pentru-reprimarea-revolutiei-timisoara-murit-varsta-88-ani.htm?nomobile=

Quite a big death for history.

• Like 1

Ernesto Maceda, former President of Filipino Senate, is dead at 81.

http://www.mb.com.ph/ex-sen-maceda-81-dies-at-858-p-m-from-multiple-organ-failure/

If he's still on life support, doesn't mind, he will die.

Watching Helmut Schmidt's funeral made me think of how many politicians of the 70s are still alive. So I decided to make a list of all living cabinet or cabinet rank members of "important" countries who were in a government that was elected before 1980. I've started with the USA, West Germany, UK, and France and list their functions (with the earliest one first), their name and year of birth, and some additional information that might be relevant for obits outside of their home country. I included the secretaries of state/undersecretaries for the UK, but not for the other countries, because of obit relevance. I'll probably do four more countries soon, something like Australia, Soviet Union, East Germany and Canada or Japan.

*snip"

________________________________________________________________________________________

France

Gouvernement Debré 1959-1962

Agriculture - Edgard Pisani (born 1918) - also European commissioner of development

*snip*

Edgard Pisani is dead at 97. https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2016/06/21/mort-d-edgard-pisani-resistant-et-ancien-ministre-de-de-gaulle-et-mitterrand_4955079_3382.html&prev=search

Dunno how you are keeping up with your list otherwise.

Watching Helmut Schmidt's funeral made me think of how many politicians of the 70s are still alive. So I decided to make a list of all living cabinet or cabinet rank members of "important" countries who were in a government that was elected before 1980. I've started with the USA, West Germany, UK, and France and list their functions (with the earliest one first), their name and year of birth, and some additional information that might be relevant for obits outside of their home country. I included the secretaries of state/undersecretaries for the UK, but not for the other countries, because of obit relevance. I'll probably do four more countries soon, something like Australia, Soviet Union, East Germany and Canada or Japan.

*snip"

________________________________________________________________________________________

France

Agriculture - Edgard Pisani (born 1918) - also European commissioner of development

*snip*

Edgard Pisani is dead at 97. https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions/article/2016/06/21/mort-d-edgard-pisani-resistant-et-ancien-ministre-de-de-gaulle-et-mitterrand_4955079_3382.html&prev=search

Dunno how you are keeping up with your list otherwise.

Finally a deth notice. These days literally no one is dying (except Mr. Yelchin).

International Cabinet Members before 1980

USA

Johnson Cabinet

Attorney General Ramsey Clark (born 1927) - involved in Civil Rights Movement, turned leftist

Postmaster General Marvin Watson (born 1924)

Secretary of Transportation Alan S. Boyd (born 1922) - earliest surviving cabinet member

Nixon Cabinet

Secretary of State Henry Kissinger (born 1923) - Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Treasury secretary/SoS/OMB/Labor George P. Shultz (born 1920) - political veteran

Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird (born 1922) - "Vietnamization"

Secretary of Commerce Peter "Pete" Peterson (born 1926) - Billionaire, still involved in politics

Secretary of Commerce Frederick B. Dent (born 1922)

Ford Cabinet

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld (born 1932) - served under Bush Jr as well

Secretary of Agriculture John A. Knebel (born 1936)

Secretary of Labor W. J. Usery Jr. (born 1923)

Secretary of Health, Education, Welfare Forrest David Matthews (born 1935)

HuD secretary Carla Anderson Hills (born 1934) - small trailblazer, public figure, on corporate boards

Secretary of Transportation William Coleman (born 1920) - oldest living former cabinet member

WH chief of staff Richard "Dick" Cheney (born 1941) - also Vice-President

Head of CIA George H.W. Bush (born 1924) - also President

Carter Cabinet:

Jimmy Carter Himself (born 1924)

Treasury Secretary W. Michael Blumenthal (born 1926) - political veteran, director of Jewish Museum in Berlin

Secretary of Defense Harold Brown (born 1927)

Attorney General Benjamin R. Civiletti (born 1935)

Secretary of Interior Cecil Andrus (born 1931) - also very popular Governor of Idaho

Secretary of Agriculture Bob Bergland (born 1928)

Secretary of Labor Ray Marshall (born 1928)

Secretary of Health, Education, Welfare Joseph A. Califano Jr. (born 1931) - also newspaper columnist

HuD Secretary Moon Landrieu (born 1930) - also popular Governor of Louisiana

Secretary of Transportation Neil E. Goldschmidt (born 1940) - also Governor of Oregon, lobbyist

Secretary of Defense/Energy Charles William Duncan Jr. (born 1926) - Coca Cola president

Secretary of Education - Shirley Hofstedter (born 1925) - first SoE, also a trailblazing judge

Vice President Walter Mondale (born 1928)

Chief of Staff Jack H. Watson (born 1938)

EPA Chief Douglas M. Costle (born 1939)

U.N. ambassador Andrew Young (born 1932) - ally of Martin Luther King, mayor of Atlanta

U.N. ambassador Donald McHenry (born 1936)

OMB director James T. McIntyre (born 1940)

CIA chief Stansfield Turner (born 1923)

National Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski (born 1928) - globally known commentator until today

Chairman of Council of Economic Advisors Charles Schultze (born 1924)

West Germany

Adenauer IV

Walter Scheel (born 1919) - also became federal president

Kiesinger I

Justice, Special Affairs, Chancellery, Post & Communication, Research & Technology - Horst Ehmke (born 1927)

Economic Cooperation - Erhard Eppler (born 1926) - leftist critic

Brandt I

Interior Secretary - Hans-Dietrich Genscher (born 1927) - became statesman under Kohl

Education and Science Secretary - Klaus von Dohnanyi (born 1928) - later mayor of Hamburg

Brandt II

Secretary of the Economy - Hans Friderichs (born 1931) - turned lobbyist and CEO

Youth, Family and Health - Katharine Focke (born 1922)

Urban Development & Construction - Hans-Jochen Vogel (born 1926) - became Berlin mayor & party leader of the Social Democrats, also served under Schmidt

Schmidt I

Urban Development & Construction - Karl Ravens (born 1927)

Education & Science - Helmut Rohde (born 1925)

Schmidt II

Interior - Gerhard Baum (born 1932) - civil rights defender

Labour and Social Order - Herbert Ehrenberg (born 1926)

Urban Development & Construction - Dieter Haack (born 1934)

Research & Technology - Volker Hauff (born 1940)

Education & Science - Jürgen Schmude (born 1936)

Economic Cooperation - Rainer Offergeld (born 1937)

Schmidt III

Finance - Manfred Lahnstein (born 1937) - in council of Haifa University, former member of the Trilateral Commission, Consultant for Rothschild Bank and private media pioneer

Education & Science, Nutrition, Agriculture and Forestry - Björn Engholm (born 1939) - leader of SPD

Youth, Family & Health - Anke Fuchs (born 1937)

Research & Technology - Andreas Von Bülow (born 1937) - 9/11 truther

United Kingdom

Heath Ministry 1970-1974

Treasury/Social Services/Industry/Environment - Patrick Jenkin (born 1926)

Agriculture, Fisheries & Food/Northern Ireland/Employment- James Prior (born 1927)

Defense/Energy/Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs - Lord Carrington (born 1919) - NATO head & leader of Falklands War

Wilson Cabinet 1974-1976

Secretary of State for Prices and Consumer Protection - Shirley Williams (born 1930) - also served under Callaghan, became Professor at Harvard

Wales - John Morris (born 1984)

Callaghan Cabinet 1976-1979

Foreign Secretary David Owen (born 1938) - led talks on Former Yugoslavia

SoS for Prices and Consumer Protection Roy Hattersley (born 1932)

SoS for Transport William Rodgers (born 1928)

First Thatcher ministry (1979-1983)

SoS for Energy/Transport David Howell (born 1936)

SoS for Trade/Defence John Nott (born 1932) - involuntarily involved in Falklands' War

SoS for Wales Nicholas Edwards (born 1934)

SoS for Employment/Trade & Industry Norman Tebbitt (born 1931)

Financial Secretary to the Treasury, SoS Energy, Chancellor of the Exchequer Nigel Lawson (born 1932) - global warming skeptic

SoS of Environment/First SoS/Defence Michael Heseltine (born 1933)

SoS for Health & Social Services Norman Fowler/Employment/Transport/Minister of Transport Norman Fowler (born 1938)

SoS of Environment/Northern Ireland/Defence/Employment/Transport Tom King (born 1933)

France

Economy & Finance Valéry Giscard D'Estaing (born 1926) - later president

Pompidou V 1967-1968

Post and Telecommunication/Information Yves Guéna (born 1922)

Industry/ later Justice - Albin Chalandon (born 1920) - director of Elf Aquitaine (1977-1983)

Gouvernement Chaban-Delmas 1969-1972

Environment - Robert Poujade (born 1928)

Messmer I 1972/73

Post and Telecommunication/Relationship to Parliament - Hubert Germain (born 1920)

Agriculture and Rural Development Jacques Chirac (born 1932) - became president

Chirac I 1974-1976

Economy and Finance/Equipment Jean-Pierre Fourcade (born 1929)

Labour/Reforms Michel Durafour (born 1920) - also a writer under alibi

Health - Simone Veil (born 1927) - Holocaust survivor, president of European Parliament 1998-2007, legalized abortion in France

Agriculture/Interior Christian Bonnet (born 1921)

Barre II 1977/78

Agriculture/later Justice Pierre Méhaignerie (born 1939)

Barre III 1978-81

Youth, Sports/Labour/ of State/Agriculture & Rural development Jean-Pierre Soisson (born 1934)

Women's Issues Monique Pelletier (born 1926)

Transportation Daniel Hoeffel (born 1929)

No Italy?

>important countries

>italy

lel

Well, you are quite right. Luckily we colonized the United States, so we are an important country now.

Old Italian politicians:

Giorgio Napolitano (1925), former President of Italian Republic and Communist despot

Carlo Azeglio Ciampi (1920) same as the previous, but shorter

Arnaldo Forlani (1925) wererabbit

Aldo Tortorella (1926) communist

Alfredo Reichlin (1925) communist

Silvio Berlusconi (1936) legend

Giovanni Pieraccini (1918) communist

Vincenzo Scotti (1933) smart man indeed

Toni Negri (1933) communist

Lamberto Dini (1931) freemason

Romano Prodi (1939) mortadella

Virginio Rognoni (1924) DC

Ciriaco de Mita (1929) mafia DC