Sign in to follow this  
Guest David

The Real Marigold Hotel and other OAP get togethers

Next series includes Bill Oddie, Lionel Blair, Sheila Ferguson, Miriam Stoppard, Rustie Lee, Paul Nicholas, Amanda Barrie and Dennis Taylor.

They really scraped the bottom of the barrel with this lot...

I've actually heard of all them which is rare for a reality TV type programme.

• Like 5

Lionel Blair? Did he actually survive the making?

Next series includes Bill Oddie, Lionel Blair, Sheila Ferguson, Miriam Stoppard, Rustie Lee, Paul Nicholas, Amanda Barrie and Dennis Taylor.

They really scraped the bottom of the barrel with this lot...

I've actually heard of all them which is rare for a reality TV type programme.

Same.That is a first.Normally I never know more than 2 or 3 in a reality tv line up.

I saw an episode of this a few months back and they had Bobby George, Wayne Sleep, Rosemary Shrager and Miriam Margoyles going around in Japan. Definitely agree with those who say Sleep is one of the fittest on the show by far and is likely to last a long time yet. Out of the four I mentioned, the other three do not look in good shape at all particularly.

Has the new series with them in India started yet?

Bloody hell*, some of them have turned up on The One Show...

(*Ron Weasley)

(*Ron Weasley)

Bloody hell, you watch The One Show?

• Like 6

(*Ron Weasley)

Actually, I don't, it came on while I was trawling the web for death.

• Like 2

(*Ron Weasley)

Actually, I don't, it came on while I was trawling the web for death.

That's what they all say.

• Like 2

(*Ron Weasley)

I switch my TV over to channel 732 at 7pm in protest at The One Show's existence. Utterly banal shite that it is.

Oh and saw this last night, the India episode. I wouldn't give Bill Oddie more than 10 years, he's actually a lot more pot bellied than I thought he was and seems to like his own company too much and prefers not to take part in group activities involving exercise. The 87 year old whose name I forget was in good health for his age, but I still would give him 5 years tops. Can't even remember too much about the rest of them.

Bill Oddie is one of those names I just expect someone like Spade to post on here with "hearing word about Bill Oddie can anyone confirm" followed by BBC links within 10 minutes... at some point in the next few years.

• Like 2

Oh and saw this last night, the India episode. I wouldn't give Bill Oddie more than 10 years, he's actually a lot more pot bellied than I thought he was and seems to like his own company too much and prefers not to take part in group activities involving exercise. The 87 year old whose name I forget was in good health for his age, but I still would give him 5 years tops. Can't even remember too much about the rest of them.

Lionel Blair of barber's joke immortality...

• Like 2

Have to say that Sheila Ferguson looks amazing and could easily pass for someone in their forties.

Miriam Stoppard on the other hand has spent the last twenty years under the surgeon's knife. She looked like a female Michael Jackson

• Like 3

Watching the first episode of Series 2, Lionel Blair has the "tributes have been paid" look about him. Old, and slightly creaky. Wont see another US President, imo.

Bill Oddie looks knackered in the heat, has the old man bloat going on.

So far, none are really jumping out like Shrager in Series 1 though.

• Like 1

^^ Rosemary Shrager update tho....she's in that new Beeb alternative to Bake Off thing announced yesterday.... Studio lights/kitchen heat....she'll melt.

On 2/17/2017 at 14:58, Prosperina said:

Have to say that Sheila Ferguson looks amazing and could easily pass for someone in their forties.

Miriam Stoppard on the other hand has spent the last twenty years under the surgeon's knife. She looked like a female Michael Jackson

Miriam Stoppard was a bit of a hottie back in her peak days.

She has had a damn good career and Im certain that her surname, that she still continues to use some 25 years after her divorce, has had absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, charon said:

^^ Rosemary Shrager update tho....she's in that new Beeb alternative to Bake Off thing announced yesterday.... Studio lights/kitchen heat....she'll melt.

I fucking DETEST those fucking shows.

• Like 2

Anyone seen the American version, Better Late Than Never? It jumps from location to location and very American, but quite fun for all that. All of the 4 could walk unaided and communicate, so not 2019 picks right off the bat, but anyhow:

Cast:

William Shatner (1931) - who is as you'd expect, eccentric/mentalist/know-it-all with just enough charm to cover, but despite aging a bit, still seems more spry and mental agile than folk a decade younger. One of ours eventually but should see 90.

George Foreman (1949) - Actually looks in better nick than you'd think for someone who was in the ring that long. Funny guy too. Again, one of ours in time but I don't think he's in any hurry quite yet.

Henry Winkler (1945) - Aging but got a decade in him, walks unaided, etc. Shatner might outlive him though.

Terry Bradshaw (1947) -  Seemed to age a fair bit between seasons, and had trouble walking at times. Of the 4, he seems a prime candidate for a quick exit in the next 5 years.

Much better than the latest Marigold Hotel:

Susan George, Selina Scott, The Krankies? That's not form spotting, that's folk who'll be around for another two decades. Stephanie Beacham kept drearily talking about being fed up of existence, so if she gets cancer or what not she could go downhill quick, but otherwise, boring celebs being boringly healthy in India. Give me Foreman and Shatner pissing around over that.

On 07/02/2016 at 19:39, charon said:

Jan Leeming.

Single for 12 years you know (as she keeps going on about ad nauseam,), healthy looking 74, but was taken to a guru who correctly guessed the number of men in her life, what type of cancer her mum and granny died of and warned of short term memory loss. Dementia also is in her family.

5 years tops.

Bobby George.

Old Bobby is fair carrying the weight , walks with a stick and sleeps. A lot.

3 years double tops.

Rosemary Shrager.

Morbidly obese with no will power at all yet still a workaholic. She might not last the year. Definitely one of ours.

3 years tops.

Miriam Margoyles.

Does not look good and again struggling in the heat to walk 10 yards. Her checkup told us she needs 2 new knees, plus a gall bladder op, both in next year or so.

5 years tops.

PS If you trust charon's nose for these things (if any of them are Protestants, 100%), then 2019 is goodnight for two of those and time for the troubled deadpooler to think about the other two.

This is my fault, and a tip of the hat to the admin team.

Right, you might have noticed that a whole variety of shows that put OAP celebs on the screen for flimsy reasons now infest the TV. Talking head Channel 5 “Greatest Moment Ever”, celebrity gameshows, Real Marigold and all its rip offs. So here’s a catch all thread for “Lionel Blair looks shit on Mastermind” type posts.

In the last year, we’ve seen Fash the Bash and Pat Butcher share joints on Channel 4, a variety of no namers and Bobby George get sun burnt around the world on the BBC, and William Shatner get KO’d by the lean mean fat reducing grilling machine himself. Oh, and NFL HOFer Terry Bradshaw looking one to watch in that last one.

Now, ITV have “OAPS Hard to Please”, in which old people try to use needlessly complicated technology.

The stars:

Amanda Barrie – looking great for her age. Can’t use a BBQ cleaning robot, mind.

Lionel Blair – Looks fucked. Is 90 now.

June Brown – Actually looks better than she has recently. Given she’s looked like death in recent past. Frail and old, but not rattlely for once. Thinks people should just use blow up dolls instead of sex robots.

Sheila Ferguson – Obligatory young OAP in these shows who will outlive everyone else by a decade.

Harry Redknapp – Looks like Harry Redknapp.

Michael Whitehall – imo a outsider bet for next 5 years.

John Sergeant – What’s he doing on this now? He’s 75? Fucking hell.

Anyhow, more musings as more shows happen.  Pointless have sitcom stars this weekend…

Tonights Pointless Celebs (a repeat from February) has a bunch of 1970s celebs who have clearly seen better days - Les from the Bay City Rollers and Patti Boulaye, for example.

Surprised to see how old Martin Jarvis looks and sounds these days though, rocking the doddery OAP look:

jarvis 2019.png

New series of Marigold Hotel produces more OAP celebs:

Britt Ekland - Wobbly on her feet and seems away with the fairies, so...no change there?

Duncan Bannatyne - Actually looks healthier now than when he has having all those heart attacks. Lost a lot of weigh though, especially around the face and throat.

Dame Zandra Rhodes - Is 79 and has pink hair. Must be dementia or something. Has frail shrunken hands.

Paul Chuckle

Henry Blofeld - Looks older than 80. Had to retire suddenly few years back. Now has the old man slur interrupting his famous diction. Later on during a visit to a coffee shop he looked like a ghost in an M.R. James adaptation.

John Altman - Has the permanent red eyes of a perpetual pisshead.

Susie Blake - She's only 70 and looks a decade younger, I think she's on this for the free food and holiday. Spends most of her time working on an allotment apparently.

Barbara Dickson - Hides behind sunglasses and a big hat. She thought India was a desert, apparently.

Mind you, the first series hasn't seen off any of its dead on their feet celebs yet, so watch this far healthier batch of celebs drop dead overnight...

• Haha 1

Tonight's Pointless Celebs is actually a repeat from earlier this year but I missed it then. As its on Writers, it does bring up some names who, although not in immediate danger of being your DDP hit for 2021, are now in their 70s and not often seen on TV.

So Terry Deary, 74, of Horrible Histories million selling book series and TV show fame, has the hair of a man who recently had chemo when it was filmed, and the appearance of someone who recently lost a fair bit of weight, so maybe keep an eye out there.

Eve Pollard, 75, looks more Auton than human now.

Jeffrey Deaver, 70, doesn't look bad for a horror/mystery writer in his 70s.

Laurence Marks, 72 and Maurice Gran, 71 wrote The New Statesman, which is fab, and Birds of a Feather, which was less fab. Marks also did a lot of investigating into the Moorgate tube crash, hosted a documentary on it, and is convinced his dad (who died in the disaster) was murdered. Gran has seen better days, Marks looks like the sort of chap who will die in about 15 years time.

Peter James, 72, is the sort of crime writer your mum reads. His mum used to work for the current Queen.

So bar perhaps the great Terry Deary, none of these names will be mentioned against on DL Forums for another decade. But it was nice to see them all show up for a rare TV appearance in 2020.

pointless deary and pollard.png

pointless deaver.png

pointless marks and gran.png

peter james.png

• Like 2