Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Korean War Vets

Now that Shroud seems to have disappeared back into oblivion, ;) I thought it might be safe to start a thread on Korean vets, since most are in their 80s and starting to bite the dust.

Feel free to post major figures from both sides. Will the two Koreas be reunified before they all die off?

• Like 1

Like fuck.

Thought SK had started the craic about head of NK's army executed.

If 'true', he fought the fascists.

Who are the most notable Korean veterans?

Michael Caine is one.

Shouldn't this be Korea Vets? No-one says "Vietnamese Vets".

Both just make me think of people who don't mind eating your dog for you if they can't save it.

• Like 2

Shouldn't this be Korea Vets? No-one says "Vietnamese Vets".

Both just make me think of people who don't mind eating your dog for you if they can't save it.

:D

For about the first time ever, I am going to have to concede Zorders has a point, dammit. I'd opt for "Korean War Vets" over "Korea Vets" though.

Korean War Vets it is. This one has some interest to me, because there are Dutch Korean War Vets. I can't name one, but they must be well in the fading away phase now.

• Like 1

I see a few Korean War Vets in traffic ahead of me when I drive around, and I only know that because they have it on their license plate. But I honestly couldn't name any of them.

Take it they weren't personalised plates then...

Take it they weren't personalised plates then...

No, I think you pay about $50 extra and have to provide your army papers as proof that you served.

I don't see many Korean War Vets, I've seen a few WWII vets but haven't seen one for a while.

Fuck sakes, money grabbing bassas :lol:

Fuck sakes, money grabbing bassas :lol:

I think the money goes back to charities that help vets. So you're paying money to go to a charity that helps you. I'd need to read up on the process.

The man who became the Army’s first Hispanic four-star general died on Sunday.

Richard Edward Cavazos, 88, died in the Army Residence Community in San Antonio, Texas.

Cavazos served in the Korean War as a lieutenant with the 65th Infantry Regiment. He then served in Vietnam as a lieutenant colonel, leading a battalion of soldiers into battle.

In 1976, he became the first Hispanic brigadier general, according to AUSA.

He was awarded two Distinguished Service Crosses, a Silver Star, two Legion of Merit awards, five Bronze Stars with valor, a Purple Heart, a Combat Infantry Badge and a Parachutist Badge, according to the paper.
SC

• Thanks 1

Bill Speakman at 90.

English wanker joined the biggest Scots wankers and was the first VC presented by the English Queen.

Not awarded by her either.

http://altrincham.today/2018/06/21/bill-speakman-altrinchams-great-war-hero-first-person-receive-victoria-cross-queen-elizabeth-dies-aged-90/

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Paik Sun-yup dead according to this: https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200711000200325

Korean War hero and retired four star general, he's been discussed elsewhere (for some reason).

Now a pick in the Poker Tourney, watch out for those QOs. ;)

Yes, I noticed funeral details were being discussed just a few days ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drol said:

Last Korean War Chinese flying ace Wang Hai has died at 94. He would have received big honours later this year.

Leaves Charles G. Cleveland as the last surviving flying ace from the war. URSS Sergei Kramarenko died earlier this year. Also leaves Wan Haifeng and Chi Haotian as the last PLA generals in service during Tienanmen crackdown.

Like maybe here also?

• Like 1

While reading of the last living WWII Medal of Honour recipient, I decided to check how many Korean War Medal of Honour recipients there are alive.

Three, they are:

Duane E. Dewey (1931-2021)

Hiroshi H. Miyamara (b. 1925) also a WWII veteran

Robert E. Simanek (1930-2022)

Two have died within the last 10 months, the last one to die was Ernest Edison West, died on 1th of May 2021 at the age of 89.

Given after the Korean War, in 2021:

Ralph Puckett (b. 1926)

• Like 1

Cross-posting the death of Charles G. Cleveland, last flying ace of the Korean War, aged 93.

Plus I note there is a new Medal of Honour recipient from Korean War, Ralph Puckett, who will turn 95 in December.

• Like 2

Gawd knows why I picked this thread, but Native American actor and singer Saginaw Grant has reportedly died aged 85: https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/american-indian-actor-saginaw-grant-85-passes-away

Various appearances on TV and film, however, British interest as he appeared as a medicine man in episodes of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet in a later (let's call it less than good) series when they located to America. 

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0335636/

Edit: I'll point for the benefit of @gcreptile that he's a DDP Pick.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Gawd knows why I picked this thread, but Native American actor and singer Saginaw Grant has reportedly died aged 85: https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/american-indian-actor-saginaw-grant-85-passes-away

Various appearances on TV and film, however, British interest as he appeared as a medicine man in episodes of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet in a later (let's call it less than good) series when they located to America. 

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0335636/

Edit: I'll point for the benefit of @gcreptile that he's a DDP Pick.

QO is there, and the yahoo one came out at exactly the same time as the AP one:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/news/saginaw-grant-noted-native-american-180148853.html

• Like 3