Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Korean War Vets

Medal of Honor recipient Duane E. Dewey dead at 89.

My favourite Medal of Honor recipient! 

• Like 3

Only Robert Simanek, Hiroshi Miyamara and Ralph Puckett alive, all nonagenarians. And one 98-year old for WWII, could he outlive all those three? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arghton said:

Only Robert Simanek, Hiroshi Miyamara and Ralph Puckett alive, all nonagenarians. And one 98-year old for WWII, could he outlive all those three? 

Woody appeared to be in excellent health at his 98th birthday. 

Miyamura was "dying" two years ago. Puckett is quite frail, Simanek still has his marbles, but increasingly frail too. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, drol said:

Medal of Honor recipient Duane E. Dewey dead at 89.

My favourite Medal of Honor recipient! 

Post the link again please, it just leads to this page, or alternatively tell me why hes your favorite

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

Post the link again please, it just leads to this page, or alternatively tell me why hes your favorite

Citing yourself is very common in my field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

Woody appeared to be in excellent health at his 98th birthday. 

Miyamura was "dying" two years ago. Puckett is quite frail, Simanek still has his marbles, but increasingly frail too. 

Since he's been named, Puckett is actually on my shortlist as he showed up for some ceremony or other earlier this year and looked half dead already.

• Like 1

Here's the most recent pictures I could find of each of them:

Puckett:

puckett.png.ab217a8fe64962f5df4add33b7dbad20.png

Miyamura:

miyamura.png.ca7401cdacc0a278125ad49398b2251a.png

Simanek:

simanek.png.5de359197f7d740b7546529fb22a0806.png

All presumably from 2021, atleast included in articles etc from this year.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 00:17, arghton said:

Here's the most recent pictures I could find of each of them:

Puckett:

puckett.png.ab217a8fe64962f5df4add33b7dbad20.png

Miyamura:

miyamura.png.ca7401cdacc0a278125ad49398b2251a.png

Simanek:

simanek.png.5de359197f7d740b7546529fb22a0806.png

All presumably from 2021, atleast included in articles etc from this year.

Simanek looks not as bad as I thought he would actually. Miyamura still the healthiest of the lot though.

• Like 1

With Simanek's death, just two left (Puckett and Miyamura). They both look like shit IMO. I imagine they'll both be gone by next year, meaning that all recipients of the Medal of Honor from both WWII and the Korean War will have perished within the space of a year...

... unless Biden wants to create new ones again in another cheap attempt to boost his ratings.

• Like 2

So the annual Medal of Honor recipients convention happened earlier this September and Korean War recipient Ralph Puckett was there, looked even frailer than at his Medal of Honor ceremony. Hiroshi Miyamura didn't show up which isn't a good sign either especially as he was a regular at these conventions, so what Ulitzer said about them both looking like shit, definitely seems to be the case here. I wouldn't see them lasting long either.

They are a fast dwindling group, so much so that many believe this will be the last proper Medal of Honor recipient convention and I can see why as some of the Vietnam War MOH recipients who were there looked quite frail, also found out a few other recipients who were not at the event that are now frail, Michael Thornton in particular stands out to me because he seemed healthy a couple months ago but now he looks quite frail and he's using a cane, not to mention he usually wouldn't miss such events. Roger Donlon, who I've mentioned several times before as he has end-stage Parkinson's disease for a while now, somehow attended the convention (potentially one for the immortals list?) but his wife who's basically his spokesperson nowadays, pretty much confirmed this will be Roger's last time attending for obvious reasons.

So the full list of MOH recipients that I know of that are in poor health or are otherwise frail as of right now, are Ralph Puckett, Hiroshi Miyamura, Roger Donlon, Barney Barnum, Allen James Lynch, John Duffy, Gary Wetzel, Clarence Sasser and Michael Thornton.

• Like 4

An Illinois soldier killed during the Korean War has been identified.
Army Corporal William Zoellick was a member of the Second Infantry Division. He was reported missing in action in North Korea in 1950 and died in 1953 in a POW camp.

Remains that were reportedly recovered from Pyoktong, also known as Prisoner of War Camp #5, could not be initially identified and were buried in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, known as the "Punchbowl," in Honolulu.
Zoellick has since been identified using dental and anthropological analysis.

SC

• Like 2

On 27/09/2022 at 06:26, TheSpinosaurus said:
So the annual Medal of Honor recipients convention happened earlier this September and Korean War recipient Ralph Puckett was there, looked even frailer than at his Medal of Honor ceremony. Hiroshi Miyamura didn't show up which isn't a good sign either especially as he was a regular at these conventions, so what Ulitzer said about them both looking like shit, definitely seems to be the case here. I wouldn't see them lasting long either.

They are a fast dwindling group, so much so that many believe this will be the last proper Medal of Honor recipient convention and I can see why as some of the Vietnam War MOH recipients who were there looked quite frail, also found out a few other recipients who were not at the event that are now frail, Michael Thornton in particular stands out to me because he seemed healthy a couple months ago but now he looks quite frail and he's using a cane, not to mention he usually wouldn't miss such events. Roger Donlon, who I've mentioned several times before as he has end-stage Parkinson's disease for a while now, somehow attended the convention (potentially one for the immortals list?) but his wife who's basically his spokesperson nowadays, pretty much confirmed this will be Roger's last time attending for obvious reasons.

So the full list of MOH recipients that I know of that are in poor health or are otherwise frail as of right now, are Ralph Puckett, Hiroshi Miyamura, Roger Donlon, Barney Barnum, Allen James Lynch, John Duffy, Gary Wetzel, Clarence Sasser and Michael Thornton.

Hiroshi Miyamura dead at 97.

• Like 7

Also...

One of the major living Korea War vet propaganda faces in China is Zhu Yanfu (朱彦夫) one of the 31 recipients of the National Honorary Title. He was very seriously wounded during the first year of the war in 1950, he suffered a total of 7 head injuries, severe intestinal injury as his stomach was blown open and doctors underwent 47 surgeries on him for around 90 days and needed to amputate his hands and legs. He lost his left eye back then and his right eye has nearly no vision. (In other words he's been a quadruple amputee for 72 years) He also suffered a serious illness in 1982. Miracle the guy is still alive, 90 in July.

yanfu.jpg.92589f3f6efe78d610954cd0ce1f109d.jpg

• Shocked 1

Another face of propaganda gone as Korean war veteran Sun Jingkun dies at 98.

Recipient of the 1st July Medal and made public appearances until last year. Oldest 1st July Medal recipient is the immortal Lu Yuanjiu.

• Like 4

On 07/01/2023 at 10:23, drol said:

Recipient of the 1st July Medal and made public appearances until last year. Oldest 1st July Medal recipient is the immortal Lu Yuanjiu.

As Lu Yuanjiu died today, the oldest 1st of July Medal recipients are now:

1. Guo Ruixiang (郭瑞祥) 102-year-old minor cadre who fought in WWII and the second phase of the Chinese Civil War and during the Korean War held some higher position in the army. Has lived at a cadre care home since 1982. 

2. Zhou Yongkai (周永开) 95-year-old minor cadre who is most known for his large donations.

3. Wang Zhanshan (王占山) 93-year-old Korean War hero who suffered 38 bullet wounds in the Battle of Kumsong. Very frail. Also fought in the second phase of the Chinese Civil War and the Sino-Vietnamese War.

None of the younger ones are Korean War vets as far as I know.

• Like 2

General Al Gray, who served in the 1st Marine Division in Korea and who rose through the military ranks to become the 29th commandant of the Marine Corps, has died. He was 95.  The four-star general served as commandant from 1987 to 1991, retiring after 41 years of military service.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2024/03/20/al-gray-beloved-former-marine-corps-commandant-dies-at-age-95/

• Like 3

On 20/03/2024 at 21:09, alt obits guy said:

General Al Gray, who served in the 1st Marine Division in Korea and who rose through the military ranks to become the 29th commandant of the Marine Corps, has died. He was 95.  The four-star general served as commandant from 1987 to 1991, retiring after 41 years of military service.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2024/03/20/al-gray-beloved-former-marine-corps-commandant-dies-at-age-95/

His favourite performer was Al Green.

• Facepalm 1