Paul Bearer

Only Famous For Being Ill And Dying

50 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Probably not. But when one reads through this thread, well, there is no Lisa Magill cancer blogging-award. 

Pete Felton at least had something to work with.

Thing is, these people are only locally notable.  When I lived in a city in the 80s/90s, there was a busker who occupied the same spot year in year out, and when he died of cancer he got a mention in the local paper because everyone who ever went shopping in the city centre would have recognised him.

Going further back, in the town where I went to school there was a distinctive looking tramp (as parlance then had it) who was always seen around town.  Eventually he was persuaded to be housed somewhere, and he went up in the world as a newspaper seller who had a pitch by the bus stop.  His eventual demise was also reported in the local rag.

Nowadays it's easier to achieve slightly wider awareness because of the internet.  But they're not properly famous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Thing is, these people are only locally notable.  When I lived in a city in the 80s/90s, there was a busker who occupied the same spot year in year out, and when he died of cancer he got a mention in the local paper because everyone who ever went shopping in the city centre would have recognised him.

Going further back, in the town where I went to school there was a distinctive looking tramp (as parlance then had it) who was always seen around town.  Eventually he was persuaded to be housed somewhere, and he went up in the world as a newspaper seller who had a pitch by the bus stop.  His eventual demise was also reported in the local rag.

Nowadays it's easier to achieve slightly wider awareness because of the internet.  But they're not properly famous.

I can agree there.

But there are many people being picked who are not properly famous, obscure government officials, Dr. Who scriptwriters, "behind-the-scenes" cultural people like architects, publishers, Jana Bennetts and so on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I can agree there.

But there are many people being picked who are not properly famous, obscure government officials, Dr. Who scriptwriters, "behind-the-scenes" cultural people like architects, publishers, Jana Bennetts and so on.

But they have achieved something, and something that is unconnected to their illness/death.  (I would also exclude the bloggers and fundraisers.)

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

But they have achieved something, and something that is unconnected to their illness/death.  (I would also exclude the bloggers and fundraisers.)

tbf to Reptile (who is fully supportive of the FFBI ban - it was a unanimous decision) he legit thought this chap had far more notoreity than he actually did. It happens. With a ban on FFBI the name would have been looked into and turned down (unless he had some albums out but no one is rushing to correct me on that one).

I know who my eyes are on to ban, and there'll be zero tolerance on those picks. For example: these types of stories are fucking off for good and anyone who tries to get them past the Cmme will be mercilessly mocked.

(You don't need to click on that link, obviously, Toast - I know you know what we don't want. It's for anyone playing hard of thinking...)

47 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I can agree there.

All of these people are obviously not going to be banned, or newspaper editors, Guardian rent-a-cynics, those no name royals everyone loves etc etc. Just saying before I get PMs. "I picked the former Education Secretary, is he still allowed?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2020 at 12:34, YoungWillz said:

Deborah James in a cancer free place, apparently: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51118585

Deborah James' cancer - now back:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9006427/BBCs-Big-C-podcast-star-Deborah-James-shares-candid-photograph-lies-pain.html

Yes, she's also a BBC podcaster now, etc... but where else to post the news?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Journalists?

Yeah, especially since she got the Sun gig *before* the cancer. (She also had a number of here, there and everywhere gigs ala Simon Ricketts but like Ricketts they've mostly disappeared from the internet by now...)

On 27/11/2020 at 18:45, gcreptile said:

I can agree there.

Anyone have any recent news on Jana Bennett, all I can find is her diagnosis from last December. Would like a bit of recent news that indicates she's alive before packing her onto my 2021 DDP minibus?

Because it's your first year deadpooling (or at least on a big scale) I'll show some mercy: she's definitely alive and is delivering a talk for the World Congress of Science & Factual Producers latetr this week for any form-spotters. The rest of the advice you will get here will just be "pick 1960s runner Lee Evans and the bloke from Supertramp"

• Haha 1

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

Because it's your first year deadpooling (or at least on a big scale) I'll show some mercy: she's definitely alive and is delivering a talk for the World Congress of Science & Factual Producers latetr this week for any form-spotters. The rest of the advice you will get here will just be "pick 1960s runner Lee Evans and the bloke from Supertramp"

I’m pretty sure this poster isn’t new here...

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m pretty sure this poster isn’t new here...

I feel honoured to get a tip off Spade though.....:lol:

2 minutes ago, MortalLightBeam said:

So you’re gonna send me another obvious crowdsource submission then? 

Just now, Joey Russ said:

So you’re gonna send me another obvious crowdsource submission then? 

Nope as you've made it quite clear you won't accept them. Don't see why you couldn't have accepted the last one? 

7 minutes ago, MortalLightBeam said:

Nope as you've made it quite clear you won't accept them. Don't see why you couldn't have accepted the last one? 

Maybe, and this might be the answer, is that you’re not supposed to be on the forums anymore. (And don’t take it from me, take it from the mods).

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Maybe, and this might be the answer, is that you’re not supposed to be on the forums anymore. (And don’t take it from me, take it from the mods).

Neither are you to be fair, Zorders. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

There goes my chances of getting the last FFBI hit in DDP history.

My thoughts and prayers go with you and your family today for this sad loss. 

• Like 2

Willie Thomson, Scottish football fan in a hospice who would have been on some longlists if FFBI were still allowed, wouldn't have been an option regardless as he's dead aged 79.

• Like 1