Paul Bearer

Only Famous For Being Ill And Dying

Well, that's a hit for Toast on the Hare's Pool.

Yeah, I don't feel so strongly against picking nobodies on the minor pools.

• Like 1

Well, that's a hit for Toast on the Hare's Pool.

Yeah, I don't feel so strongly against picking nobodies on the minor pools.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=moral+relativism

What's your point?

This isn't about personal morality (although I think most of us agree there are lines that should not be crossed). It's about levels of fame or celebrity.

The minor pools are in-house games and don't have the same status as the DDP. They also have varying obit requirements.

Deathrace has always been for "low hanging fruit" per MPFC, and has correspondingly low level obit requirements.

I regard the Hare's DP as a variation of the same.

I think the DDP should aim higher than that though.

• Like 1

I actually am less likely to go for Sims types in the minor pools since DDP is the one where I aim to be the most competitive. That and I suppose the Deathrace's lax obit standards means one can plump for obscurer people who are still famous for something (even if at more niche levels) which I have no qualms picking, and time of death decides the points there rather than age at death (and DDP's age-based system is the big reason why FFBI picks are so commonplace). With Hare's I tend to go mainly for random old people.

Nardya Miller

Given a week on 11th January - didn't quite make it to kick off of Death List Cup.

You people are obviously taking it as seriously as I am... good!

Nardya Miller

Given a week on 11th January - didn't quite make it to kick off of Death List Cup.

You people are obviously taking it as seriously as I am... good!

Nardya. Is that a you-neek spelling of Nadia?

• Like 1

This may be a person of interest, and her minor newsworthy accomplishment may push her outta this category, but for now....

'From Alaska’s rugged terrain to Florida’s sandy coast, West Michigan native Joan Hannah Darrell has completed half marathons in all 50 states.

But before she could finish her nine-year running endeavor, she discovered the road with the most bumps and curves was the road of life. Three-quarters of her way through the 50-state journey, Darrell was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in 2013 at age 60. Doctors gave her anywhere from eight months to three years to live, and chemotherapy nearly took her life, but on Nov. 5, 2016, Hanna Darrell crossed her 50th half-marathon finish line in New Castle, Delaware.'

I'm guessing now that she's done she has little left to live for. Mission accomplished. Time to let go.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/30/runner-is-diagnosed-with-cancer-during-50-state-jo/

SC

If you're reading this chances are you're currently missing Roger Curry's starring appearance on UK TV but he's back in LA, seriously ill with dementia and now so well known his eventual death will doubtless snag coverage amounting to a QO for most purposes hereabouts

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38769685

Gordon Aikman, motor neurone disease campaigner and former director of communications for the Better Together campaign has died aged 31. A hit in some of the pools I think.

Well, that's the thing about MND. Difficult to judge.

Gordon Aikman, motor neurone disease campaigner and former director of communications for the Better Together campaign has died aged 31. A hit in some of the pools I think.

I picked him on the DDP.Surprised he was the first on my team to go.Condolences to his husband and other family members.MND is such a cruel illness.

Alex Trebek on Wednesday took a moment to honor Jeopardy contestant Cindy Stowell, who on Dec. 5 died from Stage 4 colon cancer. She was 41.

Stowell, a six-day champion whose earnings totaled $103,801, filmed her episodes in August and September. (Her episodes began airing on Dec. 13.) Those earnings were donated posthumously to cancer research.

SC

Ian Toothill, 47, wants to be the first terminally ill person to climb the Mt. Everest:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-06/cancer-patient-aims-for-record-breaking-trip-to-everest/

The cynic in me says this will only end one way.

That's a very cold response.

Ian Toothill, 47, wants to be the first terminally ill person to climb the Mt. Everest:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-06/cancer-patient-aims-for-record-breaking-trip-to-everest/

The cynic in me says this will only end one way.

That's a very cold response.

I'm seeing a whole new dimension to the offer of Dignitas. I mean, if it's their ambition to get there - you don't have to bring them back, right?

Update on DDP and Deathrace pick Alan Aspin, who is surprising his doctors by still being alive:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/prisoner-sent-home-die-after-12430897

The announcement that he had "days to live" was not because of the cancer but because of septicaemia after the tumour burst.

It seems Alan Aspin has died off the radar, possibly?