Paul Bearer

Yoko Ono

But she's still 87 and doesn't look like she's on the verge of dying. Could stil see her get going for at east 5 years, wheechair or not.

17 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

And requires around the clock care.

An excellent choice for the committee next year if she is still with us. 

In a wheelchair, but wearing trainers - she's fine, the whole look is some kind of art project!

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

In a wheelchair, but wearing trainers - she's fine, the whole look is some kind of art project!

Such cynicism!:lol:

Hands on and fairly control freakish if the rumours are to be believed. So when an 87 year old with that pedigree hands the MASSIVE business over to her son....

Maybe the committee should give this one some thought

Link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8937139/Yoko-Ono-87-hands-business-interests-Beatles-John-Lennon-son-Sean.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR3z1PO049A-9xBozdDTB2Lyl30dg3OYd_aQBZyejV4nU7KeOFL_I9fZ21s

• Like 3

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hands on and fairly control freakish if the rumours are to be believed. So when an 87 year old with that pedigree hands the MASSIVE business over to her son....

Maybe the committee should give this one some thought

Link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8937139/Yoko-Ono-87-hands-business-interests-Beatles-John-Lennon-son-Sean.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR3z1PO049A-9xBozdDTB2Lyl30dg3OYd_aQBZyejV4nU7KeOFL_I9fZ21s

She's not a well woman these days at all, to the point I thought this might be the death notice when you posted there.

1 minute ago, msc said:

She's not a well woman these days at all, to the point I thought this might be the death notice when you posted there.

Safest Beatle related prediction EVER...

When she dies one of her singles will not suddenly surge up to #1 :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

No unexpected surge for Walking on Thin Ice?

(tbh that's the only one I can name without looking!)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Not sure. I can see "AAAAAAHHHHAAAOOOUUH OW WO UH UH UHHAHAHAHA" taking off if someone comes out with a dance remix. :P

She really is a mad bint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

According to the article, she's had an unspecified illness since 2017. The wheelchair pictures... what could it be?

Hard to say, but she should definitely be in consideration for next years list due to the recent news. 

• Like 1

Some Yoko tracks I really like, most of all, these three:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Some Yoko tracks I really like, most of all, these three:

This song reminds me of some of the stuff Grace Jones has made. Very nice.

Mind Train is just... insane :lol:

• Haha 1

And yeah, I'd appreciate if she is included on next year's list. Maybe in the lower regions, 48 to 50 (if Sutcliffe is dead).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Book said:

And yeah, I'd appreciate if she is included on next year's list. Maybe in the lower regions, 48 to 50 (if Sutcliffe is dead).

Her highest chart position in living memory if it happens

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Her highest chart position in living memory if it happens

I mean, there's a solid chapter in defence of Yoko in that book about Beatles myths, but Walking on Thin Ice actually made the top 40 in 1981!  Probably because it sounds like a reaction to Lennons death, even though it was recorded a very short time (days even) before he got shot.

OK, thats not my living memory, but you know what I mean.:D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, msc said:

I mean, there's a solid chapter in defence of Yoko in that book about Beatles myths, but Walking on Thin Ice actually made the top 40 in 1981!  Probably because it sounds like a reaction to Lennons death, even though it was recorded a very short time (days even) before he got shot.

OK, thats not my living memory, but you know what I mean.:D

Aye, great book that - wasn't really having a go at the quality of her music - more the commercial appeal. Lennon once found himself in a club and when he first heard the B52's and he went home to tell her that people had finally got what she was doing. When she finally goes I'd imagine a fair assessment will put her out there with mavericks like Zappa or The Residents who do their own thing regardless. I've actually got a fair tonnage of her stuff and it's been known to appear on a certain cultish radio show now and again, though there are moments in that catalogue - like the Starpeace album when she toured as if she was a major act and tried to produce something relevant to the mid-80's - that I struggle with. Darryl Bullock (who presents a weekly radio show on the World's Worst Records) once told me he attended the Starpeace tour (infamous for the acres of empty seats) and live it was an absolute paint peeler of a night.

• Like 2

Yoko for next No.50, please! B)

What would be only the second time that the No. 50 spot is occupied with a woman (after Katherine Hepburn in 1998).

I think she should be No.35. The highest UK chart placing for Walking on Thin Ice

• Like 2

I actually listened to 'Walking on Thin Ice' in the car the other day.  It's on that 80s compilation I bought recently.

"Walking on thin ice" was recorded just prior to John Lennon's death.

Somewhere I read that, upon finishing the record, John exclaimed "We've just recorded your first number one!"

He was correct in that it made the number one in the US dance charts or something like that. Undoubtedly also profiting from John Lennon's passing.

Yoko makes the DL. Is this the first time we've had schoolmates on the same DL? She and Akihito were in the same school class!

I really appreciate her inclusion.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Yoko makes the DL. Is this the first time we've had schoolmates on the same DL? She and Akihito were in the same school class!

Wow is that true? I didn't know that. Did Yoko come from a rich family?