Jump to content
Paul Bearer

32. Yoko Ono

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

 

Wow is that true? I didn't know that. Did Yoko come from a rich family?

 

Yes, old aristocratic (Japanese version) family with a wealthy father - but iirc she rebeled against them by wanting to be an artist/musician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Book said:

I really appreciate her inclusion.

Me too. I think she will be a hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of think that this is the only pick the Committee definitely had to add, and they did it. Well Done!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her description's a bit uncreative though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A well off woman who lives in the country with the highest longevity in the world, think she's got a few more years left yet.

 

That said, still a much more appropriate pick than William fucking Gates fucking Senior......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, frleon said:

Her description's a bit uncreative though.

 

 

Yeah, what about "Can't live off one dead Beatle much longer"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about "Just Imagine" or in fact the word on the card she handed to Lennon the first time they met, which was "Breathe"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, frleon said:

Her description's a bit uncreative though.

I'm open to suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

A well off woman who lives in the country with the highest longevity in the world, think she's got a few more years left yet.

 

That said, still a much more appropriate pick than William fucking Gates fucking Senior......


Frail for years, famous for at least three different reasons (influential and famous artist in her own right, John's widow, credited with breaking up the group as well). Great pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I'm open to suggestions. 

 

"Witch" (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes,_I'm_a_Witch)

Haven't got anything against her. But if DL picks are kind enough to provide a description themselves we should heed their advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I'm open to suggestions. 

Avant-garde artist and musician 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

 

 

Yeah, what about "Can't live off one dead Beatle much longer"

My favourite one so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

My favourite one so far. 

 

The old gag about her being a dead cert for I'm a Celebrity, "as she's been living successfully of a dead beatle for the past 40 years."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 00:35, msc said:

 

Yes, old aristocratic (Japanese version) family with a wealthy father - but iirc she rebeled against them by wanting to be an artist/musician.

What did they expect her to do in a defeated and nuked country at the time? Honour them through begging?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 13:00, Paul Bearer said:
On 01/01/2021 at 12:06, frleon said:

Her description's a bit uncreative though.

I'm open to suggestions. 

Walking on Thin Ice?  - In honour of her 'biggest' (only) solo hit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy 88th birthday, Yoko Ono! :birthday:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this was a bad pick. I see her being around for a good while yet unfortunately as I don't forgive her for breaking the Beatles up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

I think this was a bad pick. I see her being around for a good while yet unfortunately as I don't forgive her for breaking the Beatles up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigh. John Lennon and Paul McCartney's complete falling out (which started before Yoko appeared on the scene) and George Harrisons inability to take more of their shit split up the Beatles. Not anyone else.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, msc said:

Sigh. John Lennon and Paul McCartney's complete falling out (which started before Yoko appeared on the scene) and George Harrisons inability to take more of their shit split up the Beatles. Not anyone else.

That's what the link in the former post was meant to point out. :angel:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Beatles started falling out after they stopped touring because nobody could hear them sing as everyone was screaming. Then their manager died and that was the start. Cynthia and John were starting to break apart naturally by then anyway before Yoko came in the picture (I have her autobiography). So Beatles just staying in the studio most of the time and figuring out how to manage themselves etc was the main reason. Even Paul had his own depression to deal with which he only acknowledged years later. Everyone just put the blame on Yoko because she was an easy target.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

The Beatles started falling out after they stopped touring because nobody could hear them sing as everyone was screaming. Then their manager died and that was the start. Cynthia and John were starting to break apart naturally by then anyway before Yoko came in the picture (I have her autobiography). So Beatles just staying in the studio most of the time and figuring out how to manage themselves etc was the main reason. Even Paul had his own depression to deal with which he only acknowledged years later. Everyone just put the blame on Yoko because she was an easy target.

I would perhaps suggest that Yoko's autobiography is not necessarily the most robust source of information. However there are enormous egos at play and I suspect there were a whole array of external pressures.

 

I did read Patti Boyd's autobiography and no-one comes out of that we'll not even Patti.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I would perhaps suggest that Yoko's autobiography is not necessarily the most robust source of information. However there are enormous egos at play and I suspect there were a whole array of external pressures.

 

I did read Patti Boyd's autobiography and no-one comes out of that we'll not even Patti.

 

Sorry I meant Cynthia Lennon's autobiography, not Yoko's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use