Sir Creep

Doctor Doctor

She was the ultimate cancer blogger. All the others were but pale imitations. She redefined the genre.

• Like 2

Ahead of Terry Fox?

I don't think he blogged, since he died in 1981 and there was no internet, but he was the epitome of the old school approach, whereas Granger redefined it for the Twitter age. If someone was doing a top 10 cancer bloggers of the last 10 years she would definitely be near or at the top.

• Like 1

Just listening to a BBC iPlayer of a Six Music show yesterday and she gets an obit there.

Fair play to the news organisations for treating it well

I heard it on Radio 4. Very sad situation.

She was the ultimate cancer blogger. All the others were but pale imitations. She redefined the genre.

To be fair, one or two of them had sun tans and/or were black

A bit harsh to abuse the sick for their pallid skin tones IMHO

The "world's most famous" plastic surgeon, Brazilian Ivo Pitanguy a.k.a. Master Pitanghu has died at 90:

http://en.mercopress.com/2016/08/08/world-s-most-famous-plastic-surgeon-has-died-master-pintanghu-the-universe-of-beauty

He died just one day after passing the olympic torch.

He will forever be known for inventing the "Brazilian butt lift". He also did other good deeds.

Strange how that happens not long after you discussed a theme team idea featuring recipients of his ilk's magic.

Strange how that happens not long after you discussed a theme team idea featuring recipients of his ilk's magic.

Indeed! It may be a sign...

And a Nobel Prize winner to boot--but I gotta show love to the thread I started and dude is primarily a doctor not a researcher. And from Detroit too :-)

Miroslav David Poulik, M.D., former chief of immunopathology at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, died Wednesday at age 93 in Panama City Beach, Fla. Cause was death was congestive heart failure, according to his son-in-law, Bruce Babiarz.

Poulik, known as "Dr. Dave," was a member of a medical research team whose work won a Nobel Prize in 1972 for work on immunoglobulin.

SC

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20160819/NEWS/160819835/former-beaumont-hospital-chief-of-immunopathology-dies-at-age-93?X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Dr. Joy Browne, the syndicated radio and television psychologist whose upbeat and approachable style made her a favorite for nearly four decades, has died. Browne died Saturday in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Patience Browne, who did not give a cause of death. Dr. Browne was 71.

SC

Renowed Italian oncologist Umberto Veronesi died on November the 8th aged 90. Controversial person, at least regarding his political ideas.

http://www.ansa.it/lombardia/notizie/2016/11/10/veronesi-aperta-camera-ardente_0b01f5fd-aee5-4db3-9bd8-35e8e4e42b88.html

Heart surgeon Denton Cooley has died shortly after his missus. He was 96. http://www.chron.com/news/health/article/Denton-Cooley-renowed-heart-surgeon-dead-at-96-10622963.php

DDP pick and is he on the Hare's Dead Pool? First test of Deathray's efficiency review, he he.

Obit from the Daily Mail.

• Like 1

Heart surgeon Denton Cooley has died shortly after his missus. He was 96. http://www.chron.com/news/health/article/Denton-Cooley-renowed-heart-surgeon-dead-at-96-10622963.php

DDP pick and is he on the Hare's Dead Pool? First test of Deathray's efficiency review, he he.

Was he your relative, Spade?

• Like 2

Not a doctor but a nurse.

Dame Sheila Quinn, former President of the Royal College of Nursing, has died aged 96. https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/workforce/death-of-former-rcn-president-announced/7014152.article

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheila_Quinn

DDP pick. Here's her obituary published in The Times: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesonline-uk/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=183109219

Presidents/Vice Presidents of the Royal College of Nursing are like buses you know...

Presidents/Vice Presidents of the Royal College of Nursing are like buses you know...

Riding them is overpriced and frequently unpleasant?

• Like 4

Dr. Mark Wainberg, a Montreal-based trailblazer in HIV/AIDS research and an internationally renowned scientist, died Tuesday after swimming in rough water in Bal Harbour, Fla. He was 71.

Bal Harbour police confirmed Wainberg's death this afternoon.

Acting police chief Miguel De La Rosa said authorities had posted a warning on the beach Tuesday about high surf and high current conditions.  De La Rosa said Wainberg's family was with him and his son had tried to rescue him.

You can lead a scientist to water, but you can't make him read the posted warnings.

SC

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 17:53, Sir Creep said:

Dr. Mark Wainberg, a Montreal-based trailblazer in HIV/AIDS research and an internationally renowned scientist, died Tuesday after swimming in rough water in Bal Harbour, Fla. He was 71.

Bal Harbour police confirmed Wainberg's death this afternoon.

Acting police chief Miguel De La Rosa said authorities had posted a warning on the beach Tuesday about high surf and high current conditions.  De La Rosa said Wainberg's family was with him and his son had tried to rescue him.

You can lead a scientist to water, but you can't make him read the posted warnings.

SC

I often find that those with the most (so-called) education, are stupid when it comes to real-life situations. I know professors who cannot use a regular old-fashioned stapler without breaking it! They often live in alternate realities than the rest of us. :-) The Word Doofus comes to mind.    

• Like 1

A prominent state medical examiner who conducted hundreds of autopsies, testified at hundreds of murder trials, and was described Monday by Maine’s attorney general as “a force of nature in the forensic world,” died Sunday night.

Dr. Henry F. Ryan of Augusta, who modernized the Office of Chief Medical Examiner during his more than two decades in the post, was 78 when he died at a rehabilitation facility in Augusta.

Ryan was appointed chief medical examiner in 1976 by Gov. James B. Longley and served until his retirement in 1998.

Dr. Henry F. Ryan, a longtime Maine chief medical examiner, is shown on the set of the movie
[Dr. Henry F. Ryan, a longtime Maine chief medical examiner, is shown on the set of the movie "Thinner," in which he played a bit part as a medical examiner.]

SC

Dr. Amy Reed, anti-power morcellator campaigner has died at age 44:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/amy-reed-died-cancer-patient-who-fought-morcellation-procedure.html?_r=0

I mentioned her way back in 2015:

It looks like the UK obit hasn't materialized, in spite of the prominent NYT obit. Interesting medical story, if you care.

• Like 1

Was very close to making my 2016 team, but not close enough. By now, I'd forgotten all about her.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Was very close to making my 2016 team, but not close enough. By now, I'd forgotten all about her.

Deadpooling is a quick business. We want our picks to die quickly and discard them when they fail to perform. But sometimes, a year of patience pays off (Caroline Aherne, John Hurt, Martin Crowe,...).

I like to mention people at the cusp of obitability and let other people contemplate the chances. Sometimes it works (Jimmy LaFave, probably Van Zandvliet, cancer mum XYZ), sometimes it doesn't (Amy Reed, Darren Sawchuk, cancer mum ZYX). Maybe Dr. Reed still gets a Guardian obit at some point, through the feminist anti-medical establishment angle, or maybe a Telegraph obit, with her treatment of the Boston Bomber back then.

You forgot to mention cancer mom yxz.

13 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

You forgot to mention cancer mom yxz.

If he mentioned cancer mum YXZ, then he would have to mention cancer mum XZY, cancer mum YZX, and cancer mum ZXY. 

• Like 1