RadGuy

Windy City Deadpool 2016-17

Updated for Bonnie Brown and Kate Granger.

Death Impends 1000

msc 860

gcreptile 785

Shaun 695

Book 635

Unknown 590

Rad 550

Jiromeon 525

Wormfarmer 450

Chorizo 400

Davy Jones 45

Congrats to Death Impends for being the first to reach the quadruple digits with exactly 1000 points!

And congrats to The Unknown Man for making an astonishing debut with 590 points!

Okay, people!

Turns out I've been a dumbass and tallied DeathImpend's points wrong.

For a while, I thought that the #1 position was worth 250 points, instead of 500.

This means I'm going to count every team's points and see if it matches the scoreboard.

Also, it'll give me a chance to google the more obscure picks to see if they died (since nobody's helping me with this :P)

So here's the ACTUAL scoreboard:

DeathImpends 1305
msc 860
gcreptile 785
Shaun of the Dead 700
RadGuy 650
Book 635
The Unknown Man 590
Jiromeon Kimura 525
Wormfarmer 450
CaptainChorizo 400
Bibilogryphon 55
Davy Jones' Locker 45
ImNotHades 0
YoungWillz 0

I missed William Lucas.
I also updated for Suzanne Wright in the meantime.

I forgot this existed, sorry. And then wondered why I didn't have 1060 odd points, only to then twig Jenny Diski jumped the gun. Still, 2nd place after 3 months in a deadpool I didn't really understand at the time isn't too bad!

• Like 1

Oh, I got Piet de Jong for 60p. Nice.

I hope he will get a proper obit.

Edit: Same with Bobbie Heine Miller. Does no UK paper report about international deaths? How ignorant :angry:

Bobbie Heine Miller got a Telegraph obit, sparing Book the shame of not getting obits for two hits in one update (de Jong still doesn't have one).

So here's the scoreboard for Havelange, LaTourette, Miller.

DeathImpends 1305

msc 860

gcreptile 845

Book 770

Shaun of the Dead 765

RadGuy 700

The Unknown Man 670

Jiromeon Kimura 565

CaptainChorizo 475

Wormfarmer 450

Bibilogryphon 55

Davy Jones' Locker 45

ImNotHades 0

YoungWillz 0

• Like 2

Sorry for no update in a while, but there haven't really been that many deaths.

Also, congrats to Book on having a lot of hits recently. Mostly old people who randomly died, but congrats nonetheless.

Updated for Kincaid, Peres, Scheel:

DeathImpends 1385

Book 1060

msc 915

gcreptile 845

Shaun of the Dead 765

RadGuy 700

The Unknown Man 670

Jiromeon Kimura 565

CaptainChorizo 520

Wormfarmer 450

Bibilogryphon 55

Davy Jones' Locker 45

ImNotHades 0

YoungWillz 0

Let me know if I missed anyone.

Okay, folks! Time to update for Bhumibol Adulyadej, Clive Derby-Lewis, Kay Starr, and Lupita Tovar. It appears that Tony Adamowicz did not meet the obit requirements.

Kay Starr and Lupita Tovar *technically* did not meet obit requirements either, however they recieved obits from several important US newspapers, therefore I'll award points.

Book 1420

DeathImpends 1385
msc 915
gcreptile 845
Shaun of the Dead 825

RadGuy 820

The Unknown Man 725

Jiromeon Kimura 610

CaptainChorizo 585

ImNotHades 500
Wormfarmer 500

Davy Jones' Locker 125
Bibilogryphon 55
YoungWillz 0

Congratulations to Book for regaining the lead, with 7 of their Top 8 dead, and 10 dead in total (11 if you count obit-less Piet de Jong).

• Like 1

Zero points! Go me, it's some kind of distinction I guess...

• Like 1

Anybody here play the stiffs.com games? Anybody ever win a game? Anybody ever collect on a prize? How do you go about it? Thanks in advance.

Deleted

OK, nobody has ever collected a prize from stiffs.com, then? Should I stop paying to play? Am I a rube? (OK, maybe that last one is too leading of a question).

Next topic: May I make a couple of constructive comments for our newly created Windy City DP, in hopes to help it grow into a long lasting staple of the games.

1. Condense the point values. Right now, instead of depending on the quality of a 20 name list, really what you need are a quality top 3 or 4 names. If you don't hit those, you are out of the running. I went from a bottom feeder to third place when I hit my top pick, Sharon Jones. (not sure why no one else had her on a list?) The rest of the list is fairly inconsequential. I agree that the top of the list should be weighted more heavily, but in order to make the whole list count may I suggest a point value structure something like this: 25,30,35,40,45,50,60,70,80,90,100,120,140,160,180,200,225.250.275,300 This way, your top picks sure help, but you could miss one or two and still have a shot if the rest of your list is really good.

2. I like the lack of bonus points. I always felt (even when I have benefitted from) things like "13th of the month" or "birthday" bonuses took away the skill factor and brought the luck factor too much into play. Bravo, here.

3. Can we cap it at 20 or 25 players or so? Say the inaugural group we have now and then next 10 or so entries who want in? You could always open it up to new players as veterans drop out. I guess maybe I am suggesting an elite DP "club" instead of a runaway site where you get hundreds of entrants and then it gets very hard to manage. I would be willing to help with updates and whatnot if it didn't get too out of hand.

Hope it was helpful. Don't kick me out if you don't like.

OK, nobody has ever collected a prize from stiffs.com, then? Should I stop paying to play? Am I a rube? (OK, maybe that last one is too leading of a question).

Next topic: May I make a couple of constructive comments for our newly created Windy City DP, in hopes to help it grow into a long lasting staple of the games.

1. Condense the point values. Right now, instead of depending on the quality of a 20 name list, really what you need are a quality top 3 or 4 names. If you don't hit those, you are out of the running. I went from a bottom feeder to third place when I hit my top pick, Sharon Jones. (not sure why no one else had her on a list?) The rest of the list is fairly inconsequential. I agree that the top of the list should be weighted more heavily, but in order to make the whole list count may I suggest a point value structure something like this: 25,30,35,40,45,50,60,70,80,90,100,120,140,160,180,200,225.250.275,300 This way, your top picks sure help, but you could miss one or two and still have a shot if the rest of your list is really good.

2. I like the lack of bonus points. I always felt (even when I have benefitted from) things like "13th of the month" or "birthday" bonuses took away the skill factor and brought the luck factor too much into play. Bravo, here.

3. Can we cap it at 20 or 25 players or so? Say the inaugural group we have now and then next 10 or so entries who want in? You could always open it up to new players as veterans drop out. I guess maybe I am suggesting an elite DP "club" instead of a runaway site where you get hundreds of entrants and then it gets very hard to manage. I would be willing to help with updates and whatnot if it didn't get too out of hand.

Hope it was helpful. Don't kick me out if you don't like.

I don't know nothin' 'bout stiffs.com.

I would try to find some info about them on the web.

1) I might decide to change the points. Although I still want the top of the list to stick out, probably more so than your suggestion. I might make a poll about it, so people can vote. OTOH, that would require a new thread, which people would most likely complain about. I'll think about compromising your suggestion and my own.

2) Thank you.

3) I don't really think it's needed. The contest lasts from May 1, 2016 - April 30, 2017 (and then May 1, 2017 - April 30, 2018 and so on...) so people can't just join in whenever, like some of Shaun's new pools. Also, so far we have 14 players, and it doesn't seem to be generating much excitement. So I highly doubt it will ever get out of hand; if anything, the number of players could drop year by year.

OK. Your opening post had this pool ending January 1st, so I thought we were close to the end. If it goes the full 12 months, my comments came a little early.

• Like 1

OK. Your opening post had this pool ending January 1st, so I thought we were close to the end. If it goes the full 12 months, my comments came a little early.

This one won't start over till May, but you are welcome to join other dead pools if you wish. It's that time of season where plenty of dead pools are open

Update for Sharon Jones, Fidel Castro, Ian McCaskill, Craig Sager, and Zsa Zsa Gabor. No obit for William Hudnut III.

Book 1570
DeathImpends 1500
Wormfarmer 1170
Shaun of the Dead 1025
msc 1010
The Unknown Man 900

Captain Chorizo 885
RadGuy 855
gcreptile 845
Jiromeon Kimura 820
ImNotHades 600
Davy Jones' Locker 375
Bibilogryphon 55
YoungWillz 30

Edit: Oh, DeathImpends just posted a qualifying Hudnut obit. I'll make the changes.

• Like 1

Just to make sure everybody knows: this will be a May to May pool.

• Like 3

Everybody and their brother had Piers Sellers.

And then there was ImNotHades with Michele Morgan. Ya just hadda be different, ey kiddo?

DeathImpends 1600

Book 1570

msc 1210
Wormfarmer 1170
Shaun of the Dead 1065

Captain Chorizo 975

gcreptile 945
The Unknown Man 900

RadGuy 855
Jiromeon Kimura 820
ImNotHades 690
Davy Jones' Locker 375