Sean

Tony Booth

Just looked at the DL obit.

"Booth was best known for his role as Mike Rawlins in the shockingly racist 1960s/70s BBC sitcom, Till Death Do Us Part."

I do feel it's inaccurate to describe 'Till Death Us Do Part' (sic) as "shockingly racist".  The main character (Alf Garnett) was indeed racist, but he was constantly ridiculed by his daughter and son-in-law (Booth) who found his racism reprehensible.  The show reflected the generation gap where the younger characters had more liberal attitudes.  Alf was usually the butt of all the jokes: the audience laughed at him and not with him. 

• Like 4

Just now, Life Is Beautiful said:

Don't you know that every single thing from the past is offensive/racist nowadays?

Don't get me started!  <_<

37 minutes ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Don't you know that every single thing from the past is offensive/racist nowadays?

A good example being the phrase play the white man used irregularly in 70s corrie with no repercussion; uttered by a character in corrie a few years ago and the centre of a racism storyline.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Toast said:

Just looked at the DL obit.

"Booth was best known for his role as Mike Rawlins in the shockingly racist 1960s/70s BBC sitcom, Till Death Do Us Part."

I do feel it's inaccurate to describe 'Till Death Us Do Part' (sic) as "shockingly racist".  The main character (Alf Garnett) was indeed racist, but he was constantly ridiculed by his daughter and son-in-law (Booth) who found his racism reprehensible.  The show reflected the generation gap where the younger characters had more liberal attitudes.  Alf was usually the butt of all the jokes: the audience laughed at him and not with him. 

Ah good I thought I was out of touch - I mean, I usually am, but I always considered the show anti-racist (because Alf is often shown to be wrong) like that Rossiter/de la Tour show I've forgotten the name of right now.  Mitchell was an athiest Jew and lifelong liberal, so used to be horrified at the BNP style fan mail he'd get for the show.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Ah good I thought I was out of touch - I mean, I usually am, but I always considered the show anti-racist (because Alf is often shown to be wrong) like that Rossiter/de la Tour show I've forgotten the name of right now.  Mitchell was an athiest Jew and lifelong liberal, so used to be horrified at the BNP style fan mail he'd get for the show.

Rising damp? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Rising Damp

Edited - Beat me to it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Rising damp? 

2 minutes ago, The Happy Reaper said:

Rising Damp

Edited - Beat me to it!

That's the one, thanks!

10 hours ago, Toast said:

I do feel it's inaccurate to describe 'Till Death Us Do Part' (sic) as "shockingly racist".  

On reflection that could be a fair point, however some of it definitely crosses the line by today's standards...

That's missing the point, surely.  As usual, the joke is on Alf here.  He's been set up to take the piss out of his racism.

As for "today's standards" - absolutely anything seems to be interpreted as racist these days.  I find it quite preposterous.  People are vilified for using the most innocuous words.

• Like 1

My point is that,  to execute the planned objective to make Alf look ridiculous, we end up with Spike Milligan sitting there blacked up and being called a name which is certainly no longer acceptable. I accept that it may have been done with good intentions at the time, and maybe it wouldn't have entertaining if it had been done a different way, but it's uncomfortable viewing to see it today. 

• Like 1

Alf was played by a Jew.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper said:

My point is that,  to execute the planned objective to make Alf look ridiculous, we end up with Spike Milligan sitting there blacked up and being called a name which is certainly no longer acceptable. I accept that it may have been done with good intentions at the time, and maybe it wouldn't have entertaining if it had been done a different way, but it's uncomfortable viewing to see it today. 

It doesn't make me uncomfortable, because I see it in the context of the time.  In 1970 the word 'Paki' was no more insulting than 'Aussie' or 'Scot'.

• Like 1

Just now, Toast said:

It doesn't make me uncomfortable, because I see it in the context of the time.  In 1970 the word 'Paki' was no more insulting than 'Aussie' or 'Scot'.

Err... much as I agree with your general point, that one really depends on who you talk to.

25 minutes ago, Sean said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/cherie-and-i-held-tony-s-hands-we-sang-as-he-slipped-away-1.3249441?mode=amp :Stephs first column since Tony died.He died at 22:40. on the 25th.Anyone know what time Liz Dawn died?

Liz died early on the 26th if I recall correctly.

36 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Liz died early on the 26th if I recall correctly.

All obituaries confirm Dawn died on the 25th. 

17 minutes ago, ebless said:

All obituaries confirm Dawn died on the 25th. 

Are you sure? I've gotten into at least two arguments on this exact site and they claimed Dawn died later than Booth.

What's the truth?

Does it sodding matter?

They are both deaded.

The End.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Does it sodding matter?

They are both deaded.

The End.

It matters if you have them both on an HPDP team (I don't, just have Booth)