weatherman90

Deathlist 2005! Success Poll

How many people on the DL do you think will die in the upcoming year of 2005?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That was Typhoid Harry's 400th post to the Deathlist.

And this is my 100th.

Well cheers, then!

How many people do you think will die in the upcoming year of 2005?

5 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]

6 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]

7 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]

8 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]

9 [ 1 ]  [4.17%]

10 [ 1 ]  [4.17%]

11 [ 3 ]  [12.50%]

12 [ 1 ]  [4.17%]

13 [ 4 ]  [16.67%]

14 [ 6 ]  [25.00%]

15 [ 4 ]  [16.67%]

16+ [ 4 ]  [16.67%]

Total Votes: 24

I've only just realised; this is a trick question. I suspect many, many thousands of people will die in 2005. So the correct answer should be 16+.

Oops, my bad, it should read "How many people on the deathlist will die this year?"

Oops, my bad, it should read "How many people on the deathlist will die this year?"

Oh Weatherman. "My bad"?! Go and stand in the corner and pay more attention to your grammar in the future! :rip:

On another note, can you silently edit Polls? :old:

Its early yet and hard to tell but i say there will be between 11 and 13 deaths the following is who i exspect to pop off by the end of the year

Pope John Paul - Dead

Max Schmeling - Dead

Sister Lucia - Dead

James Callaghan - Dead

Simon Wisenthal - Dead

Brooke Astor - Dead

Al Lewis - Dead

Rosa Parks -Dead

William Reniquest -Dead

Michael Foot - Dead

Claude Levi Strauss -Dead

Oscar Niemiar -Dead

Iam thinking it will look something around this style i got 12 down it would be something to see if there could be another 2003.

Its early yet and hard to tell but i say there will be between 11 and 13 deaths the following is who i exspect to pop off by the end of the year

[snip]

Iam thinking it will look something around this style i got 12 down it would be something to see if there could be another 2003.

I gave up trying to work out what the hell your post said about halfway through because i couldnt be bothered trying decipher where your punctuation was supposed to be and without it it all runs into one sentence which noone would be able to understand unless they talk like Dustin Hoffmans character themselves out of Rainman man that was good movie so please try and use at least some kind of punctuation if you want anyone to read your posts apart from yourself and be able to understand them.

See?

Guest Guest

Pope John Paul - Dead

Max Schmeling - Dead

Sister Lucia - Dead

James Callaghan - Dead

Simon Wisenthal - Dead

Brooke Astor - Dead

Al Lewis - Dead

Rosa Parks -Dead

William Reniquest -Dead

Michael Foot - Dead

Claude Levi Strauss -Dead

Oscar Niemiar -Dead

Why isn't Gerald Ford on that list?

Why isn't Gerald Ford on that list?

One i just left out i suppose.

But remember most of the ill health talk surrounding Gerald Ford is simply just rumers.

Bloody hell ... a whole month without a deathlist "success". Hope deaths are like buses - none for ages then three will come at once.... ;)

Bloody hell ... a whole month without a deathlist "success".  Hope deaths are like buses - none for ages then three will come at once.

Of course if they're all empty it won't matter much now will it?

Guest worried man

Im sorry but I do think this whole thing is slightly distatsteful .Wouldnt the ideal scenario be that NOBODY dies this year or any other year?

Im sorry but I do think this whole thing is slightly distatsteful .Wouldnt the ideal scenario be that NOBODY dies this year or any other year?

Then it would have to be called the "LifeList"

Just to vary things next year maybe DL should try & go "misere"

I'm trying to figure out how that would work. Would we discuss people who are not going to die ever?

Let's face it. Everyone dies*. If they didn't, we would either be overun with people (no death = population explosion), or put in place a forced sterilisation program to prevent children being born.

Then, of course, who would end up doing all the work. That's right - us! Into our 80's, 90's, 100's, in fact, forever, constantly working, cos there are no children coming along to fill our places.

Well, sorry, but that does not strike me as a great vision for the future. How do you sell that idea to people - you won't die, but you will work forever. No thanks. I look forward to retirement, and then I am sure I will face death with serenity, able to look back on a life well led, full of acheivement, and not just looking forward to an endless period of 'more of the same'.

* PS - Everyone apart from Clive Dunn :rolleyes:

Let's face it.  Everyone dies*.  If they didn't, we would either be overun with people (no death = population explosion)

Ah, so you have indeed seen Treehouse of Horror XIV from the Simpsons.

Death takes a holiday

Imagine though if you will for a moment or two or maybe longer although less time on this is also of course a distinct option that if there was no death and only eternal bliss then there would never ever (hardly almost ever to never) be a need for eating veggies which turned our faces into weird contorted shapes when set upon a plate in front of us. And of course we could eat chocolate covered scones for the rest of all time without fear of deathly health complications.

Now the bigger question here, when discussing this eternal life on Earth thing is when would the aging process stop? Would it cease when we were young and healthy or wait until we were old and shriveled and in need of intensive health care daily? Of course here too, as per the theory placed before us, there would be no real need of intensive health care since death would never come-a-knocking. Hmm... seems to me that would put a lot of doctors and nurses out of work and therefore, wherefore, hencefore and pinafore, they'd be out having a grand old time each and every day while the rest of the world was forced to work. This living forever thing really doesn't seem too grand an idea after all now does it? Hows about a compry-mise in which we all lived 388 years to the day?

Let's face it.  Everyone dies*.  If they didn't, we would either be overun with people (no death = population explosion)

Ah, so you have indeed seen Treehouse of Horror XIV from the Simpsons.

Death takes a holiday

Imagine though if you will for a moment or two or maybe longer although less time on this is also of course a distinct option that if there was no death and only eternal bliss then there would never ever (hardly almost ever to never) be a need for eating veggies which turned our faces into weird contorted shapes when set upon a plate in front of us. And of course we could eat chocolate covered scones for the rest of all time without fear of deathly health complications.

Now the bigger question here, when discussing this eternal life on Earth thing is when would the aging process stop? Would it cease when we were young and healthy or wait until we were old and shriveled and in need of intensive health care daily? Of course here too, as per the theory placed before us, there would be no real need of intensive health care since death would never come-a-knocking. Hmm... seems to me that would put a lot of doctors and nurses out of work and therefore, wherefore, hencefore and pinafore, they'd be out having a grand old time each and every day while the rest of the world was forced to work. This living forever thing really doesn't seem too grand an idea after all now does it? Hows about a compry-mise in which we all lived 388 years to the day?

I have to say it does sound a bit frightening. The ageing process thing is

what really gets to me. I think a person could be 100 years old and still

be playing in a active sport? Then imagine all those beauty magazines,

they could have models 95 years old? But that would only be if the

devolopment stopped at an early age. I thought also if no one

would die the world could possibly build up with more older people

"saying that maybe there devolopment would stop at maybe age 80"

The world then may change. It would remind me of the story behind

the whales. They say whales did at one point in time walk on land

but after the enviornment changed, they adapted to water. It's

strange to think that if this ever did happen maybe as time went

on an 80 year old women might appear as beautiful as

Marilyn Monroe. That would only be because there would be

so many 80 year old's "looking wise" and a great capacity

even older that chances are they would adapt to this

and not relize any difference. Of course i'm only using

the imagination and replying to the strange but informative

mind of BrunoBrimley.

Life is part of a continual cycle of birth, growth, death and renewal. Without death, life could not continue to exist for very long. Or at least it wouldn't be much fun.

OK, enough mindless philosophising, back to the original point... I reckon only about ten of the names on the list will end up shuffling off in 2005. Call it a feeling - and its not just the product of five having carked it halfway through the year either.

Of course, as my powers of accurate prediction are worse than those of the average astrologer (or even than the meaningless utterances of TV weather forecasters), this is actually cause for optimism amongst those hoping for a bumper body count. Why, I have just made a confident prediction of the survival into 2006 of Patrick Moore, so he for starters is therefore most unlikely to make it beyond the end of next week.

Imagine life where nobody dies.

The planet would be massively over-populated, entire families living in 1 room.

As much as death is a sad thing there is no point complaining about it because it wont make it any better

As much as death is a sad thing there is no point complaining about it because it wont make it any better

Now we don't really know for a certainty that the planet would be overpopulated. Perhaps there would just be no new life forms created.

As to the idea of entire families living in one room that already happens and in certain places such as areas of Japan people essentially live in a drawer. With these little bits of information in front of you, it becomes clear that even with death there are no guarentees about the quality of life or the particular ways in which people think. Population explosion has been an issue of discussion for decades and long before that I am sure, even though people have been dropping dead left and right. The thing is that people are born at a faster rate than people are buying the farm; so, it just becomes more crowded every day. Don't worry about it though--eventually a huge absolutely phenomenally humongous asteroid shall come from outer space and destroy us all!

And what is so sad about death? Doesn't it reperesent a new beginning? Doesn't death help keep lots of people in business? There are sympathy cards, coffin makers, funeral parlors, mortuaries, morgues, coroners, homicide detectives, grave diggers, cemetery stone makers, cemetery groundskeepers, florists, organ players, tissue and handkerchief makers for the grieving weepy eyed folks, auto makers who manufacturer the hearse, gas companies who refine the oil for fuel for the hearse, tire makers, bench makers so people can sit in the cemetery, caterers who prepare and serve the food at the post funeral gatherings, farmers who grow fruits and vegetables or raise livestock which will be used as food at wakes and after funeral dinners. Oh, the list is limitless.

As to the idea of entire families living in one room that already happens and in certain places such as areas of Japan people essentially live in a drawer.

Entire families living in a drawer?

Man they must be small people. :D

On the bright side, when the asteroid hits, we can claim 50/50. Even though we will probably be dead before that happens. And of course we will die when it hits if we are living so...there really is no bright side is there?

If an asteroid hits and kills us all at least be happy that death list breaks its accuracy record. :D

If an asteroid hits and kills us all at least be happy that death list breaks its accuracy record. :D

That'd be party time, then.

regards,

Hein

it depends if we can party if we're dead though?!?

I notice that in the record year of 2003, there wasn't a single death after September 28. Indeed, a troll through the pages reveals surprisingly post september deaths. Have we peaked?