YoungWillz

Silvio Berlusconi

12 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

:pop: Cardiovascular and respiratory problems apparently 

hmm, I don't know.

Forza Italia parliamentary sources say is in "stationary but stable" conditions.

• Like 1

It would be the 2nd person dropped from last year's list to die. 

• Like 1

https://www.repubblica.it/politica/2023/04/05/diretta/salute_silvio_berlusconi_ricoverato_ospedale-395052125/

this is the live link with updates on his conditions.

some highlights to report:

- Looks like it could be pneumonia.

- Antonio Tajani, minister of foreign affairs and exponent of Forza Italia, said that Berlusconi is able to speak.

- Marta Fascina, his young girlfriend, and Licia Ronzulli, senator of Forza Italia very very close to Berlusconi (very close in every sense) went to him in the hospital.

- He will spend the night in the hospital and hospitalization for a few days is expected.

- Today there will be no medical bulletin, it is scheduled for tomorrow.

It doesn't seem to be his usual hospitalization but something more serious, anyway the feeling is that he can still make it this time too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rumours going around that Silvio is suffering from multiple myeloma and I do actually believe them this time.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Usually he improves then he dies.

He doesn’t do this all that often.

Sky reporting he has leukaemia.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Yes, bye bye Silvio.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

First bulletin released: suffering from chronic leukemia (very similar to myelodysplastic syndrome) and now in ICU with a lung infection. He has suffered from leukemia for "a lot of time" and it has not turned acute yet.

A matter of time.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

Looking like he's waving us goodbye, then 

Is it just me is has he had so much work done it appears his face is chiselled from Spam?

_129292370_4254249483aef218824bec6080214

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know he's objectively highly questionable (business practices, political corruption, messy personal life, etc. etc.), but I can't help but like Silvio and be sad at the prospect of him going. He's an in-joke/mascot/talking point with a couple of my uni friends, to the extent that our pub quiz team is named Berlusconi Macaroni.

It's the absurd and surreal aspects of the man we love, making dental hygienists political candidates, hugging lambs, the weird hair, on top of the charisma, the sheer chutzpah, the reinventions, the great survivor aspect. A life worthy of an opera, or at least a soap opera. How can you not have a certain awe for a man with a dedicated Wikipedia page for his trials and allegations?

In short, a magnificent bastard.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

I know he's objectively highly questionable (business practices, political corruption, messy personal life, etc. etc.), but I can't help but like Silvio and be sad at the prospect of him going. He's an in-joke/mascot/talking point with a couple of my uni friends, to the extent that our pub quiz team is named Berlusconi Macaroni.

It's the absurd and surreal aspects of the man we love, making dental hygienists political candidates, hugging lambs, the weird hair, on top of the charisma, the sheer chutzpah, the reinventions, the great survivor aspect. A life worthy of an opera, or at least a soap opera. How can you not have a certain awe for a man with a dedicated Wikipedia page for his trials and allegations?

In short, a magnificent bastard.

It's probably easier from a distance?

You could say a lot of the same about Boris - but he's an out and out cunt. Or a magnificent bastard, depending on how you view him.

• Like 3

Honestly I think he will linger for some time. Napolitano and Forlani will probably die before him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

You could say a lot of the same about Boris - but he's an out and out cunt. Or a magnificent bastard, depending on how you view him.

It's a fair point, and you could probably view him as a proto-Trump figure too, but I think Silvio has more charm and intelligence. I think he's also tried to be a somewhat centrist, moderating influence on Salvini and now Meloni, Putin friendship notwithstanding. In fact, a lot of people used to think of Putin as the strongman they grudgingly respected, with a side order of funny photo ops, before he went full genocidal maniac.

• Like 1

"Improving" and "leukemia is treatable".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, drol said:

"Improving" and "leukemia is treatable".

I don't think he can survive that long after reading today's news, but if he miraculously does, we have a clear candidate for the 2024 Immortals list.

• Like 1

Isn’t he already on the immortal list with Fujimori and others ? 

• Like 1

His family and party insist he is not in danger and will have a normal life when the lung infection is gone.

I still think he's toast.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, drol said:

His family and party insist he is not in danger and will have a normal life when the lung infection is gone.

I still think he's toast.

So do I still reckon he his a goner! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Isn’t he already on the immortal list with Fujimori and others ? 

I checked and he isn't on drol's Immortalsl list. However if he was, he'd still be at 86 quite a "youngster" there considering only a handful of them are under 87 (excluding the doge, there's Fujimori, Comical Ali, Yu Miu-Lin, Joseph Estrada, Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, Nritya Gopal Das and Superstar Billy)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

It helps when their worst moments impact someone else's country. 

It was Mark Twain who suggested humour is tragedy plus time, the essential thing being the tragedies are at a distance from the people laughing. The same thing - sort of - works with distance on the ground. Idi Amin was a comic figure celebrated on t-shirts and a couple of comedy albums (where John Bird voiced him) whilst he was still killing his own people in Uganda.

• Like 3