Sign in to follow this  
Joey Russ

Brian Wilson

Yeah he can't last forever. Don't think he's in immediate danger but one to keep an eye on

I just realized that Brian Wilson is only two days younger than McCartney. Maybe that's why all the Beatles vs Beach Boys rivalry happened...

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I mean, for the last few years he always looks alienated on stage, particularly when it's someone else's solo. He was like that when I saw him one year ago, so I can't really call it a dramatic change.

• Like 1

He looks bad but no wirse than he has looked the past decade or so.

Yeah, just looks...70 odd to me, too.

Of course, now he'll pop his clogs next year and this thread will be full of people going "What a miss!"

Not sure his clogs will be popped too soon - mainly because he's probably benefitted from being in some form of regular medical care for around half his life. Doubtless a few of the potential surprise areas of medical emergency - like his heart - are regularly checked and have been since he was in his thirties.

Oh aye, and he's younger than Ringo (who has a new album next month)

His brother Dennis  also befriended Charles Manson, before the Tate-LaBianca murders. He paid for a recording session of some of Manson´s music. Many propose that when he and his buddies ´dropped´ Manson, Charlie started planning the murders. That would be a heavy burdon to have.

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Postpones tour to undergo back surgery. He’s not the type of guy I would expect to see 80 tbh...

Real bold there Joey -- a rock n roller not making it to 80.  
Don't get dramatic, it's back surgery, runs in the family he said.  Inoperable tumour wrapped around his spine, you can get back to me.

SC

• Like 1

Hopefully he recovers soon, he is due to play in Minneapolis late August.

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 01:15, Joey Russ said:

Postpones tour to undergo back surgery. He’s not the type of guy I would expect to see 80 tbh...

76 next month though and no obvious life-threatening health probs beyond the ongoing (and apparently controlled) battle with the demons in his head. He's fit enough for the back surgery and looking likely to reschedule dates rather than retire.

I think he'll see 80 (20 June 2022 if anyone's already counting)

Looks okay, releasing a new album. Recently postponed his 2022 European Tour due to the covid situation.

Brian Wilson’s wife and manager Melinda dead at 77. She is largely credited with separating him from controversial psychologist Eugene Landy - the story is dramatised in Love & Mercy (2014)

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

List of the Missed actually. There was a Beach Boys theme in 2016.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DoltonMoney said:

May be wise to take this with a grain of salt as I haven't seen many news outlets reporting on this, but it appears Brian Wilson may have dementia.

I'm a major Brian fan and it is a fairly poorly-kept secret that he's been very mentally checked out since 2021 or so. He's always been hit-and-miss live, but the tour he did with Chicago in 2022 was clearly a new low for him; he spent pretty much each show staring blankly into space at his piano and sang/played extremely little. Most of the fandom came away from it thinking he probably had dementia. There are some Reddit threads about his state based on that tour here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thebeachboys/comments/vw5l7m/brian_wilson_elder_abuse/

https://www.reddit.com/r/thebeachboys/comments/vx0hug/requesting_recent_video_proof_from_brian_wilsons/

His daughters have since stopped him from performing, so I believe his latest public appearance was at the Grammys Beach Boys tribute last April. I've corresponded with some people who were also there and they said again he mostly just stared blankly while an assistant occasionally prompted him to wave and react to the show and such. Not really the sign of a well guy.

Anyway, given that this article is based on court documents I have no trouble believing it. That being said, I don't necessarily think he's prime deadpooling material, he actually looks much better physically in recent photos than he did in the mid-2010s when he was regularly battling ailments and seemed super frail. But yeah, don't expect him to have too many years left.

• Like 9