Paul Bearer

Brian Rix

Flicking through the channels and came across an old film (the night we dropped a clanger) with Brian Rix. I thought he'd died years ago. Still alive, aged 92 and a Lord to boot. Most folk of a certain age might remember watching some of the farces he appeared in.

Don't know anything about his health, but at 92, should be a possible future candidate?

• Like 1

Should be possible. Definitely more likely to die than Joe Perry, another possible candidate

Should be possible. Definitely more likely to die than Joe Perry, another possible candidate

His big sister is still going strong.

Would putting him on the list be a farce?

• Like 1

His big sister is still going strong.

Would putting him on the list be a farce?

Like PB I didn't realise he was still alive but he's got to be worth a page for the punning potential alone. I'd forgotten his sister was Annie Sugden! Good call. Ooh vicar where's my trousers.

• Like 2

He had a stroke a few years ago I remember reading.

He had a stroke a few years ago I remember reading.

Well as long as the wife didn't see him! Boom, tish - told you!

• Like 3

So, totally obitable and well within range.

The inevitable biographical drama on BBC will be interesting - given Rix's selfless work for charity.

• Like 1

Reveals he is suffering from a terminal illness and wishes euthanasia to be legalised: http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/lord-rix-in-plea-to-legalise-euthanasia-so-he-can-slip-away-peacefully-11364077795059

Sounds like he may not make 2017. :(

He'll definitely be a great pick for 2017 if he survives
  • Like 1

Sounds like cancer to me.Clearly he has had enough.I reckon he will go at the end of the month.

If he does cling on to January 1st he should definitely be number 1!

If he does make January 1st, I doubt he'd be on the list. The current generation of Deathlist tends to pick big household name actors and actresses for those spots.

If he does make January 1st, I doubt he'd be on the list. The current generation of Deathlist tends to pick big household name actors and actresses for those spots.

The committee are of the generation that remember Brian Rix very well. He'll make it.

• Like 4

The committee are of the generation that remember Brian Rix very well. He'll make it.

Have we ever had a brother/sister combo before?

He went quite quickly in the end. I wonder if his death will speed up the demise of his sister Sheila Mercier

The president of the learning disability charity Mencap had been terminally ill and urged Parliament to change the law on assisted dying.

He had previously opposed an assisted dying law, but said his illness has left him "like a beached whale" and in constant discomfort

Oh, the irony. Not saying I'd wish that on anyone, but it's kinda sad that some influential politicians would only grant the right to die to people when they themselves would benefit from it.

They tend to forget that the right to euthanasia (or to abortion) only gives an option to people that they don't have to excercise. Clearly no one in the 21st century would propose an euthanasia law that would force a quick death on anyone opposed to it for whatever personal (or religious) reason.

Guess not.

• Like 2

Sounds like cancer to me.Clearly he has had enough.I reckon he will go at the end of the month.

You are correct.

More tea vicar, who's that in the wardrobe,they're not your trousers. 6 weeks from post creation to death - a record? Any more tips Paul?

• Like 1

You are correct.

It's not the end of the month yet.

Will we see the 6 Pall Bearers, when carrying the coffin of Rix, suddenly have their trousers fall down around their ankles?

• Like 2

FFS, he's gone cold now and still nobody puts the obvious post in about the DL C'tee being caught with their pants down on this one!

• Like 4

I always thought he resembled George Cole, like he was his northern cousin or something. RIP...