Spade_Cooley

Best Historic Dl Forum Threads

Mentioning Terry Fox in a thread the other week got me thinking about how perfect he would have been as a DDP pick and how the thread would have been absolutely packed: daily updates from his races, people feeling bad about picking a 21-year-old, people telling other people that they shouldn't feel bad about it, angry Googlers, Canadians... it would have been a godly storm.

Francisco Franco, a few years prior, had a nice lengthy death scene with regular updates-not-updates from his party, and I get the feeling he would have been a DeathList pick in 1975 had the site been around then.

So which historic celebs would you most like to have charted their demise via the DL forums? 1980s Aids closet cases like Rock Hudson and Liberace? Jesus Christ's run from Palm Sunday to Crucifixion? Yul Brynner's heroic Broadway run in The King and I nine months before death? Let us know in the comments.

• Like 1

Rock Hudsons would have been interesting - probably started with a bunch of wild mass guessing about his travels to France ala Val Kilmer posts on here and some inuendo, before it slowly became apparent that he was ill, seriously ill, AIDS, dead. Mid-July, he makes a public appearance, people go "he must be seriously ill", 25th July confirmation of AIDS, end of August, hospice, people doing the whole "Just 4 months to go, Rock" and "Number 1 on the Deathlist next year surely!" "No, I think it'll be this Swedish Eurovision singer no one has heard of" "Hey, anyone thought of Christopher Isherwood and Phil Lynott for the 1986 Deathlist?" "Don't be daft, Lynott's not dying any time soon" And I digress. Then in October, he dies, and there's a lot of swearing and tearing up of 1986 DDP teams. Meanwhile, someone - let's call them Ben Elton's Showbiz Pals, at random - gets to be smug because they were a unique in their own pool.

Rita Hayworth would have been interesting, because she was ill so long she makes Zsa Zsa Gabor look a swift case, and she would have probably had a very, very long thread.

• Like 1

The irate visitors on a Princess Diana's thread would have made the Paul Hunter brigade look rational.

Bob Marley's NO to cure would fill his thread like Zsa Zsa's, Humphrey Bogart would get a short but worthy thread and John Wayne dead, alive, dead, alive, dead, alive thread would hit a jackpot. Big hits beyond the grave. I'd add Bowie to the list, too. I think he knew about this site so kept it a secret. He didn't want to beat Fidel in thread popularity.

Good thread!

Similar to Rock Hudson, the Freddie Mercury thread would have been interesting.

The Marlene Dietrich thread would have been a typical thread on the Death List section, with her spending the last 10years of her life in bed.

I'd never seen the "Doris Day and Friends" episode where Rock Hudson's appearance and slurred speech started gossip columnists speculating about what could be wrong with him, but it's available on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/NGjBxx_e_4E

I imagine there would have been a thread dedicated to Fatty Arbuckle's trial. Lilyan Tashman's hospital trip in 1932 for a supposed appendectomy would have been spotted by the keener eyed dead poolers with many other people dismissing it. Then when she died in 1934 there would have been lots of "I can't believe she wasn't on the list" type comments.

Barbara La Marr's lifestyle would probably have garnered some attention too.

• Like 1

I now have images of this forum a century ago in my head, and some wag running a DDP theme team for WW1 front line poets.

I'm guessing Socrates would be the earliest death whose DL thread would make for a fascinating read.

I also think a hypothetical 1945 DDP would be a classic, with a theme team of Nazis or world leaders probably winning outright.

The Jesus thread would be a hoot.

I imagine if we would have had the Deathlist in the early eighties the demise of the Duchess of Windsor would have been one we kept an eye on. She lost the power of speech in 1980 and didn't die till 86.

I'm guessing Socrates would be the earliest death whose DL thread would make for a fascinating read.

I also think a hypothetical 1945 DDP would be a classic, with a theme team of Nazis or world leaders probably winning outright.

In a 1945 DDP the top five teams would all have had Eric Liddell as their captain.

Ah, the 1945 DDP - providing it was under 2007 rules, you could have a team with:

1. Bogdan Filov
  2. Eric Liddell
  3. Lord Alfred Douglas
  4. David Lloyd George
  5. Wilhelm Canaris
  6. Franklin Roosevelt
  7. Ernie Pyle
  8. Benito Mussolin
  9. Clara Petacci
  10. Adolf Hitler
  11. Eva Braun
  12. Joseph Geobbels
  13. Martin Borman
  14. Heinrich Himmler
  15. Margot Asquith
  16. Bela Bartok
  17. Pierre Laval
  18. Vidkun Quisling
  19. Cosmo Lang

And still lose out because some sod knew the name of the Japanese Navy commanders, or had taken a punt on Patten, or knew Benchley was unwell, etc.

In a 1945 DDP the top five teams would all have had Eric Liddell as their captain.

I think Hitler might have been in the mix.

You just know that sometime in the early 80s there would have been a "Who'll die first? Karen Anne Carpenter or Karen Ann Quinlan" poll.

I've been trying to find an article I remember reading while ago about the 31 Club as that age seems to have been quite a common age for silent film stars to die at. I can't find it and at the top of my head can only think of Valentino, Wallace Reid and Virginia Lee Corbin who died at that age. I can, however, imagine the discussions 1920,30s and 40s dead pool players would have had at who would be next to join the club.

Am interesting one would have been frank Zappa.

• Like 1

Any pope.

Lenny Bruce's thread would've been interesting back in the 1960s.

J7tSDEr.jpg

• Like 4

The New Jersey State Vegetable: Karen Anne Quinlan.

You think Zsa Zsa hangin on pisses you off, imagine putting Quinlan in your lists a few years.

SirC

You just know that sometime in the early 80s there would have been a "Who'll die first? Karen Anne Carpenter or Karen Ann Quinlan" poll.

I've been trying to find an article I remember reading while ago about the 31 Club as that age seems to have been quite a common age for silent film stars to die at. I can't find it and at the top of my head can only think of Valentino, Wallace Reid and Virginia Lee Corbin who died at that age. I can, however, imagine the discussions 1920,30s and 40s dead pool players would have had at who would be next to join the club.

Oh no fucking way I can't believe you ever heard of Quinlan. Great minds thinking alike, well done! I bow to thee

SC

• Like 1

1969-1971 would be big what with everybody dying at 27. I can picture a "Who's next?" poll.

Late Summer 2001 would be busy too. The death of Aliyaah, the 9/11 attacks, and most importantly - the death of the Yellow Power Ranger!

• Like 1

How long would this thread be by now if DL had been around in the early 60s? (differently titled of course).

Marilyn's hospital trips would get her a popular thread and in death the thread would break the record for the most conspiracy theories...ok, Elvis could be a good rival, too. I don't know if Marie Curie's illness was public or not but it would get her a decent popularity here.

I wonder if anyone would have thought to have set up a JFK thread in the early 60s?

• Like 1