Spade_Cooley

Best Historic Dl Forum Threads

Late Summer 2001 would be busy too. The death of Aliyaah, the 9/11 attacks, and most importantly - the death of the Yellow Power Ranger!

Not to mention the lead singer of Big Country, the old guy from Three Ninjas and Brian Moore.

• Like 1

The soapstar thread would have been busy in 183-85

Marilyn's hospital trips would get her a popular thread and in death the thread would break the record for the most conspiracy theories...ok, Elvis could be a good rival, too. I don't know if Marie Curie's illness was public or not but it would get her a decent popularity here.

I think Elvis would have been a good one. I think there would have been much debate om his size, health and lifestyle and he may just have got himself on the list.

The fact that this thread is getting so much attention is indicative that despite the early promise we are heading into a death drought.

• Like 3

I'm guessing Socrates would be the earliest death whose DL thread would make for a fascinating read.

I also think a hypothetical 1945 DDP would be a classic, with a theme team of Nazis or world leaders probably winning outright.

1945 DDP: if a pick was a PoW on January 1 and is executed during the year, you get no points.

I'm guessing Socrates would be the earliest death whose DL thread would make for a fascinating read.

I also think a hypothetical 1945 DDP would be a classic, with a theme team of Nazis or world leaders probably winning outright.

1945 DDP: if a pick was a PoW on January 1 and is executed during the year, you get no points.

A Nuremberg trials poll could have run from 1945-49, who's for the drop? We could have had endless fun arguing over whether Goering topping himself counted.

• Like 1

Says msc elsewhere:

(Random thought - a unique joker who dies in a car crash on their birthday, the 13th of a month, under 30, would bring up 50 points for a single hit.)

So can we find anyone in history who did die on their birthday, the 13th of a month, unnaturally and under the age of 30?

Best I've found so far is someone who meets three of those requirements, former Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Bob Moose, who died in a car crash on his 29th birthday.

Says msc elsewhere:

(Random thought - a unique joker who dies in a car crash on their birthday, the 13th of a month, under 30, would bring up 50 points for a single hit.)

So can we find anyone in history who did die on their birthday, the 13th of a month, unnaturally and under the age of 30?

Best I've found so far is someone who meets three of those requirements, former Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Bob Moose, who died in a car crash on his 29th birthday.

Sam Bass, died on his 27th birthday a couple of days after being shot is the nearest I could find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Bass_(outlaw)

For some reason I thought Pascale Ogier died of a drug overdose on her 26th birthday but it was actually the day before.

Neither of these happened on the 13th of the month though so not relevant.

The AIDS thread in the early 80s would have been... interesting.

• Like 3

Says msc elsewhere:

Make it Friday the 13th and you win the internet.

Ah, the 1945 DDP - providing it was under 2007 rules, you could have a team with:

1. Bogdan Filov
  2. Eric Liddell
  3. Lord Alfred Douglas
  4. David Lloyd George
  5. Wilhelm Canaris
  6. Franklin Roosevelt
  7. Ernie Pyle
  8. Benito Mussolin
  9. Clara Petacci
  10. Adolf Hitler
  11. Eva Braun
  12. Joseph Geobbels
  13. Martin Borman
  14. Heinrich Himmler
  15. Margot Asquith
  16. Bela Bartok
  17. Pierre Laval
  18. Vidkun Quisling
  19. Cosmo Lang

And still lose out because some sod knew the name of the Japanese Navy commanders, or had taken a punt on Patten, or knew Benchley was unwell, etc.

Aye, good point - a top Nazi theme team entered on the DDP in January 1945 could've stormed to a good score; followed by bitter arguments about the points for Martin Borman.

• Like 1

I looked in the DeathList forum archive and found this gem of a thread from 1913...

1dwjuA1.jpg

• Like 14

How could you edit Future_Teller's post though? :o

I looked in the DeathList forum archive and found this gem of a thread from 1913...

1dwjuA1.jpg

Can't we ban InsaneTwain already?

• Like 1

How could you edit Future_Teller's post though? :o

I don't know what you're talking about, Joey. LV0bj9n.gif

gettyimages-515114388.jpg?w=488&h=300

I didn't know Mao had died of ALS until today, tbh. He'd have been a great DL thread.

Leslie Crowther would have been a nice slow-burning thread: between his admission to alcohol rehab in 1989 and his death in 1996, you had hosting three series of Stars In Their Eyes ("oooh he looks a bit shaky there, is he back on the bottle?"), his 1992 car crash and subsequent spell in a coma ("Come on, just need him to hold on for the start line of the 1993 DDP"), his retirement from showbiz in 1994 ("Can't believe the Committee didn't put him on the list this year"), his fleeting appearances on TV in the following few years ("Anyone catch him on June Whitfield's This Is Your Life? Also, we need to start a thread for June, she'll be gone soon"), and his eventual death in 1996.

Last week, I read a book on Howard Hughes, one of my top 5 favourite historical celebrities.

His thread would have been spectacular.

Also, I've been thinking about a Howard Hughes-related theme team, but most interesting people have died. His cousin, William Lummis, died last year.

Senator Bob Bennett, who apparently was a double agent at one point, was a DDP pick and died 2 years ago. Clifford Irving just died...

Some of the survivors are former wives/girlfriends/rumoured girlfriends: Olivia De Havilland and Terry Moore. Or his former attorney Frank Morse. Or maybe some of the people who played him on film, especially Dean Stockwell (and Warren Beatty?). Possibly also Stan Lee who modeled Tony Stark/Iron Man after Hughes.

But I think it's hard to get more than 10 names.

DeathList 1980 would have been topped by Marshal Tito for sure...

Mae West, Jimmy Durante and Colonel Sanders are all 1980 hits in their late 80s/early 90s who seem deathlisty as well. Maybe Mosley as well actually, although he was only 84.

Possible captains in DDP-winning teams for 1980 (under 60, guaranteed obits and had some sort of public cancer battle) Wilhelmina Cooper and...?

Tony Beckley?

No doubt in 1978 that John Cazale would've been all the major contenders jokers. Likely would've been a deathlist hit as well...

I wonder how many people would have picked John Lennon.  He would have been a valuable joker.

Actually, this does make me wonder in the years before jokers were a thing in the DDP, which people would be on many contenders team...

Someone might have got a sneaky unique joker on that TV personality who did the shoplifting and did for herself. Isobel Barnett?

• Like 2