Spade_Cooley

Best Historic Dl Forum Threads

14 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Actually, this does make me wonder in the years before jokers were a thing in the DDP, which people would be on many contenders team...

Well, some thoughts on at least two years

1990: All of the major contender's jokers would almost most certainly be Ryan White. One of those very rare cases of a FFBI transcending into more than just a person in their last days, so I think he might've been drop 40 even if it was around back then

1993: Arthur Ashe would probably be my first guess. However, some might've jokered Nureyev since he was clearly on his way out in 1992...

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Mae West, Jimmy Durante and Colonel Sanders are all 1980 hits in their late 80s/early 90s who seem deathlisty as well. Maybe Mosley as well actually, although he was only 84.

Possible captains in DDP-winning teams for 1980 (under 60, guaranteed obits and had some sort of public cancer battle) Wilhelmina Cooper and...?

Peter Sellers. Not cancer, but known heart problems and some people are bound to have thought "all that weight he put on for Being There can't have done the old ticker any good" and chanced their joker on him.

I can't decide if Alfred Hitchcock would have been a DL hit in 1980 or a "I can't believe you didn't have him on the list" type. 

32 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, some thoughts on at least two years

1990: All of the major contender's jokers would almost most certainly be Ryan White. One of those very rare cases of a FFBI transcending into more than just a person in their last days, so I think he might've been drop 40 even if it was around back then

1993: Arthur Ashe would probably be my first guess. However, some might've jokered Nureyev since he was clearly on his way out in 1992...

I could imagine the theme team league would always be won by an AIDS team throughout the 80s and early 90s.

George Burns and Frank Sinatra probably would’ve generated a lot of talk in their last few years.  Groucho Marx as well, especially with all the drama surrounding him and Erin Fleming

Imagine how pissed off DDP teams would have been in November 1994 that Pedro Zamora didn't hold on for another six weeks to become everyone's 1995 joker.

1.Richard Nixon and the Watergate players in the 1970s.

2. The Rolling Stones and Beatles back in the 1960s.

3. The Rat Pack on the 1950s. (Frank Sinatra and cronies)

4. The Brat Pack on the 1990s. (Young actors who stared in The Breakfast Club and St. Elmo`s Fire)

On 09/08/2016 at 18:30, Deathray said:

The Jesus thread would be a hoot.

There was, back afore I was even a guest, the next best thing.

The Sister Lucia thread, 10 pages of lunacy. Worth a swatch....

• Like 1

A deathlist thread around the Court of Henry VIII would have been interesting. Who will lose their head next? Any comment about the King's virility may verily steer the executioner to thine door.

And something around the mental decline of Isaac Newton would have been interesting. Plenty of speculation as to which disease (syphilis - never trust a lifelong bachelor!) or evil spirits were getting to him, when it was in reality more likely to be cumulative mercury poisoning causing the eccentricity.

And no doubt a lot of speculation around the imminent death of George III from around 1810 - 1820. More shouts of syphilis.

In fact, I suspect any fair fellow subject to a peculiar walk 1450-1900 would have had a few accusations of Great Pox/syphilis thrown their way. Syphilis theme teams would have spread like a dose of the clap.

• Like 1

Well then... the Bubolic Plague thread around 1350. Hampered by two facts: no celebrity culture yet, and a third of the forum dying from it.

Well, and that there was no Internet.

• Like 2

"Doth the Wandering Bard of Wharram Percy not counteth as a QO?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Well then... the Bubolic Plague thread around 1350. Hampered by two facts: no celebrity culture yet, and a third of the forum dying from it.

Well, and that there was no Internet.

"I'm telling you, we need to ban plague mums from next year's DDP!"

"But... there's no other candidates!"

• Haha 2

Louis Prima. Would’ve been interesting to see how his last years would’ve been, whether it’s sad updates on his health or complete silence after an active career (since I don’t know whether his coma was public knowledge at the time or not).

The Iranian hostages 1979-81.  Virtually everyone would have had the lot of them on their teams 1980 and 1981, only to get fucked when they were all freed. 

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Louis Prima. Would’ve been interesting to see how his last years would’ve been, whether it’s sad updates on his health or complete silence after an active career (since I don’t know whether his coma was public knowledge at the time or not).

Similarly Jackie Wilson (thread subtitled: "Higher and higher?"), eight-year coma patient who died before the age of 50. Easily see him being the kind of person who was a permanent fixture at the arse-end of the Drop 40 who dies when all the challenger teams finally give up on him.

I had Jimmy Hoffa and I'm still waiting for a QO.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, deadsox said:

I had Jimmy Hoffa and I'm still waiting for a QO.

He was 105 on Valentine's Day

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deadsox said:

I had Jimmy Hoffa

be52976f322ee1d96a33cf59a77ba785.jpg.c8bd721ea441718d70c4c88205eade5d.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 06:24, charon said:

There was, back afore I was even a guest, the next best thing.

The Sister Lucia thread, 10 pages of lunacy. Worth a swatch....

It's just demonstrated how far this place has fallen.

It has become infested with utter fucking wankers who add absolutely nothing to the forum apart from troll it with chronically shit threads and multiple accounts.

Even the 'guests' used to be reasonably intelligent unlike quite a few of the members we have now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah Steve McQueen would've been a good thread to see. Terminal cancer gets revealed in March, and he goes on experimental treatment where everyone hopes he makes the 1981 starting, only to die in November before he could be picked...

• Like 1

Monica Lewinsky suicide watch (or suspicious death tied to the Clintons) would have been a wild thread.

I guess the Kennedy curse that went full blown car crash mode with RFK and JFK getting shot and TK involved in Chappaquiddick would have been a good one.

Gerald Ford's several assassination attempts, Reagan's disastrous health in the late 80's, LBJ's death-by-smoking lingo would have all been good threads.

So I watched Johnny Cash's "Hurt" video. Would there have been a thread on him before that video already? If not, someone would have made one at that point.

Edit: Also, was Johnny Cash the last major death before the start of the forum... let me google... well, it looks like the first created thread was the Margaret Thatcher one, on Sept. 15th 2003. And Cash died on the 12th, so yes.

• Like 1

William Hickey would have been on peoples lists since 1985. He would have been such a death tease.

Eden Ahbez showed up on my discover weekly list last week. Research about him makes me think that a thread for him would’ve been a fascinating read...

I think that John "Mad Jack" Mytton would have had a good thread here. This was a man who arrived at Cambridge University with 2000 bottles of port in his luggage and who later set fire to his own pyjamas to try and stop hiccuping.  Died of drink aged 37 in a debtors prison.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

His father died 7 years younger it seems.

Might have been a bigger weapon :D