April variant then.  8th March to 8th April

On this day (using only the final contenders per year...)

DDT 106

Death Impends 102

Spade Cooley 94

Pan Breed 89

Heading Nowhere 88

Bert 84

So many deaths in March 2016... So many in fact, that my Maths skills start to struggle, and produced 3 different scores for DI!

Death Impends 55

Spade Cooley 40

DDT 34

Spade Cooley 41

DDT 22

Drunkasaskunk 30

Only change here (apart from the Glasgow chap’s Vernita Gray unique) is my fixing a maths error in Spade’s total from last month.

OoO 83

DDT 75

Death Impends 73

Crossing the Styx 65

Spade Cooley 46

This Mortail Coil 45

The debonair gentleman spy of the Deathlist forums was being heavily chased by the local undertaker and a future admin. Spade was doing far better but needed some obscure Millwall guy to die in May and obit, and the odds of that were very low indeed.

And yes, I know, Jack Pardee didn’t obit till months later. Like I’d remember to retro-add that later...

DDT 60

‘arry-Kiri 45

OoO 41

Spade Cooley 33

Norfolk and Good 21

I did note Jim Stynes health in 2012 but never picked him as I was unsure about a QO. Anyhow, the ten points he gave out  on death helped DDT, as did nabbing another 10 for a unique on Bert Sugar. One of the more surprising unique hits in DDP history, that, or am I just showing my genre bias? Although, obviously I never picked him either. Jock Hobbs (9 points) and Miguel de la Madrid (7 points) also added to a firm charge by the Devonian lord of darkness...

1. DDT 52

As it says...

If I’m Spared Myself of Course 31

Canadian Paul 23

Tonight Matthew 22

‘arry-Kiri 17

DDT 16

Rot in Hell John 15

Impaled on the Antlers 15

Banshees 14

OoO 14

Toast might not have lead the actual table at this point, but she leads the 2010 contenders table at this point, because nothing happened in the previous month. The most exciting thing to happen in March 2010 was Harry Carpenter falling down some stairs (a unique pick by some randomer), and and someone shot Eugene Terreblanche. The latter of which I found out on the day we paid for the venue for my wedding!

Heaven Knows They’re Miserable Now – 61

DDT – 55

No Noose is Good Noose – 49

Tonight Matthew 31

Banshees 29

Impaled on the Antlers – 19

Noose picked up 16 points on a shot warlord. Ja(n)e Goody was an early miss for HKTMN, and a gain for Tonight Matthew. DDT missed out on Ms. Goody too... 

Godot’s Waiting List 70

DDT 68

The Man in Black 63

Canadian Paul 37

Banshees 34

Wormer 26

TMIB still within touching distance thanks to Charlton Heston. Only Richard Widmark separates Godot and DDT...

• Like 2

I decided to compile a list of when teams reached 100 points.

Obviously, 2017 will shake this up a bit.

1) March 11th (Golden Slumbers - 2017)
=2) March 31st (The Living End - 2016)
=2) March 31st (Thomas Jefferson Survives - 2016)
4) April 10th (David Quantick's Showbiz Pals - 2016)
5) April 13th (Golden Slumbers - 2016)
=6) April 28th (Heading Nowhere - 2016)
=6) April 28th (Pan Breed - 2016)
=8) June 3rd (Cancerous Hatred - 2016)
=8) June 3rd (DDP Tofoa - 2016)
10) June 11th (Octopus of Odstock - 2013)
11) June 18th (The Living End - 2011)
12) July 8th (Deceased Hose - 2016)
=13) July 16th (Buckets O Blood - 2016)
=13) July 16th (Poochie Died On The Way Back To His Home Planet - 2016)
=13) July 16th (The Love Boat - 2016)
16) July 23rd (Crossing The Styx - 2016)
17) August 16th (The Living End - 2008)
18) September 24th (Tonight Matthew I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy - 2009)
19) October 10th (Meet Your Maker - 2007)
20) October 24th (David Quantick's Showbiz Pals - 2014)
21) November 15th (Master Mind - 2009)
22) November 22nd (The Living End - 2012)
23) November 30th (STAB_in_the_DARK - 2007)
24) December 5th (David Quantick's Showbiz Pals - 2013)
=25) December 18th (Crossing The Styx - 2013)
=25) December 18th (Tonight Matthew, I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy - 2016)
27) December 24th (Godot's Waiting List - 2008)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, msc said:

I did note Jim Stynes health in 2012 but never picked him as I was unsure about a QO. Anyhow, the ten points he gave out  on death helped DDT, as did nabbing another 10 for a unique on Bert Sugar.

Weird to think five years ago Stynes and Gary Carter were the big DDP obit punts yet in today's UK media landscape they'd not only be no-brainers for Mail coverage at the minimum, but the Mail would probably signal that ahead of time by reporting on their ill health!

• Like 1

Aye, they'd be Drop 40 candidates these days, I think.

Hmm, noticed we've had 3 big DDP hits in the last two 10th Aprils. Lauren Hill (and her 24 point jokers), Richie Benaud and Howard Marks.

I wonder if there will be a 4th in 3 years on Monday.

• Like 1

Incredibly enough, Stynes did make the Drop 40 back then. I recall that since this was back when TMIB put puns and quips on the Drop 40 page, Stynes's was originally something like "He has to get the obit, rules are rules..." before he indeed QOed.

Blimey, so he did!

"40 teams picked Stynes, enough for him to take his place in this year's Drop 40 and he's the second hit from that illustrious list, after Etta James. Five teams get 20 points for their joker, the rest get 10. This big hit has shaken up the leaderboard, with 'arry-Kiri regaining the lead but jointly with DDP champ The Living End, who's had a good month..."

TMIB, March 2012

Not to worry, I had Peregrine Worsthorne instead...

25 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Incredibly enough, Stynes did make the Drop 40 back then. I recall that since this was back when TMIB put puns and quips on the Drop 40 page, Stynes's was originally something like "He has to get the obit, rules are rules..." before he indeed QOed.

He wouldn't normally be my type of pick because I'd never heard of him, but that year I had a theme team of Jims, so in he went.

On 17/9/2016 at 16:11, msc said:

• 2014 - Heinz Kessler*,

*He's still alive? FFS.

Not really.

Well there you go. My 2014 Deathrace team was only...3 years ahead of that particular low hanging curve.

My Deathrace team from this year is already down to 8 survivors (Booth, Christie, Hagan, Head, Kristal, Michael, Sallis, Shteinman). Granted the death row inmate thing did mar that particular iteration, but it's still rather impressive.

Only 11 of my death race team is still alive, and that was my first death race team ever, and ranking in the top 3 was my first personal dead pooling achievement ever. 

Of the 11, I reckon TG Sheppard will be the last survivor...

The rate of people dying from Alzheimer’s disease in the United States rose by 55% over a 15-year period, new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows.

The number of those patients dying at home from the neurodegenerative condition also rose, from 14% to 25% over the same time period studied, 2009-2014.

Yet Glen Campbell carries on...

SC

• Like 1

Thoughts: The Deathlist committee have a nose for aged actresses about to snuff it. Maureen O'Hara, Lauren Bacall, Luise Rainer and Elaine Stitch all survived less than 20 months from their Deathlist debut. This is ominous news for Mary Tyler Moore and Prunella Scales, and indeed for Liz Smith.

Me, a year ago

Smith and Moore continued this recent trend, which leaves Prunella Scales as the survivor so far. This suggests that all of Betty White, Honor Blackman, Jill Gascoine,  Liz Dawn and Leah Bracknell will be dead by January 1st 2019, and that White and Blackman may actually be better people to carry over onto the 2018 list (should they survive 2017) than some others.

B)

• Like 1

Leah Bracknell isn't exactly an aged actress...

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Or:

Remind me to kill your next statistical coincidence joke.  :banghead:     :P

• Like 1

So, around this time of year I try and work out who will die via sods law. There's a semi-tradition of the Deathlist dropping someone, seemingly for perfectly reasonable reasons, who then snuffs it soon after New Year.

An extensive (but potentially not complete) list for example:

2017 - Robert Pirsig

2016 - Harper Lee

2015 - Shaw Taylor, Terry Pratchett

2014 - Richard Attenborough, General Jaruzelski, Pete Seeger, Elaine Stritch, James Garner

2013 - Bob Godfrey

2012 - Geoffrey Hughes, Jack Klugman, Ravi Shankar, Dom Mintoff, Ernest Borgnine

2010 - George Steinbrenner, Captain Beefheart, John Forsythe

2006 - JK Galbraith
2005 - Arthur Miller

2004 - Yassir Arafat

2003 - Buddy Ebson, Benny Carter

2002 - Princess Margaret, Mary Wesley, Bert Millichip

2001 - John Lee Hooker, Anthony Quinn

2000 - Alec Guinness, Victor Borge, Julian Critchley

1999 - Anne Haddy, Willie Whitelaw, Johnny Morris

1995 - Peter Wright, Harold Wilson

1994 - Doris Speed, Charles Bukowski
1992 - Magnus Pyke
1990 - Malcolm Muggeridge

Going by that list, a sneaky pick on say, David Prowse or Gay Byrne in 2018 might provide dividends.

• Like 1

In the last decade, actresses who make their debut on the Deathlist have a 53% chance of being dead within two years. (ie debuts on 2015 list, dead by 2017). Prunella Scales looks like officially remaining one of the 47% (she's got 8 days to go), but even so:

Leah Bracknell, Betty White, Jill Gascoine, Honor Blackman.

Taking out the obviously terminally ill person here, you have a 53% chance of a hit with the other 3 in 2017, which, for the person with a struggling shortlist, is a far better statistical chance than a hit from prostate cancer. If the Cmme drop any of them, those chances increase exponentially via sods law.  :D

Behold. I have done some random research because I was bored and got together the list of true bonafide deathlist misses by age, ie. anyone who appeared on before but died afterwards. I know some of the smartalecs will probably go like "oh, De Cesaris died of a car crash so he shouldn't count" or "Fergie Fredreikssen didn't obit so he isn't a miss", but for the purposes of this list, they are considered a miss. I have excluded Wilfred Bramble, William Hartnell, and Arthur Marshall due to the fact that they died before their first appearance, while Bette Davis is included since she was alive at the time of her first appearance, but her later appearances were post mortem. I have also excluded George Harrison even though he was part of any one Beatle the first year it was on, since I don't think it should count. So without a further of due, here are the people who were on the list but died off it and their ages:

103 - Ruby Muhammad

97 - John Kenneth Galbraith

96 - Jack Jones, Dom Mintoff, Nicholas Parsons

95 - Ernest Borgnine, Benny Carter, Buddy Ebsen, Doris Speed

94 - Doug Ellis, Les Paul, Pete Seeger  

93 - Frankie Laine, Fred Pontin

92 - John Forsythe, Ravi Shankar, Frank Thornton  

91 - Victor Borge, Baroness Castle, Geoffrey Dickens, Tom Finney, Bob Godfrey, Oral Roberts  

90 - Chuck Berry, General Jaruzelski, Jack Klugman, Shaw Taylor, Stanley Unwin, Mary Wesley, Jane Wyman, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi   

89 - Red Auerbach, Stephane Grappelli, Harper Lee, Bill Maynard, Arthur Miller, Patrick Moore, Elaine Stritch  

88 - Perry Como, Alfredo di Stefano, John Lee Hooker, Kenneth Kendall, Bert Millichip, Robert, M Pirsig, Dame Muriel Spark, King Taufa'ahau Tupou    

87 - Thor Heyerdahl, Helmut Kohl, Malcolm Muggeridge, Jack Palance, Little Richard

86 - Robert Dougall, James Garner, Alec Guinness, Ayatollah Khomeini, Anthony Quinn, Gore Vidal   

85 - Don Ameche, Gay Byrne, Tony Curtis, Arthur Mullard, Fred Perry, Jeremy Thorpe  

84 - Fred Davis, Harlan Ellison, King Fahd, Jimmy Savile  

83 - Jill Gascoine, Ken Kercheval, Jack Kevorkian, Manuel Noriega, Magnus Pyke, Peter West  

82 - George Chisholm, Jack Hargreaves, Yehudi Menuhin, Johnny Morris, Laurence Olivier

81 - Peter Cushing, Bette Davis, Larry Hagman, Wilf Mannion, Lord Len Murray, Prince Rainier, Willie Whitelaw, Norman Willis

80 - Marlon Brando, Basil D'Oliveira, Joe Fagan, Stewart Granger, George Steinbrenner  

79 - Tariq Aziz, Johnny Carson, Lord Goodman, Claire Rayner, Lord Harold Wilson

78 - Denis Compton, Eddie Large, Peter Wright

77 - John Arlott, Bob Paisley, Frank Muir, Beryl Reid, Peter Tork 

76 - Corazon Aquino, Ronnie Barker, Aretha Franklin, Bernard Manning, Jon Pertwee, Boris Yeltsin

75 - Yasser Arafat, Kenneth Connor, Vaclav Havel  

73 - Charles Bukowski

71 - Princess Margaret, Joan Sims

70 - Alexander Dubcek, John Paul Getty Jr

69 - Captain Beefheart, Brian Clough, Julian Critchley, Saddam Hussein, Evel Knievel  

68 - Anne Haddy, Geoffrey Hughes

67 - Hunter S Thompson

66 - Terry Pratchett

63 - Stan Flashman, Leighton Rees

62 - Fergie Frederiksen

61 - Elizabeth Edwards, Alex Higgins, Rowdy Roddy Piper

60 - Anne Kirkbride

55 - Andrea de Cesaris, John Smith

54 - Seve Ballesteros, Osama bin Laden

53 - Jerry Garcia

50 - Marti Caine

30 - Red Rum

A couple things to note:

1. Excluding Ruby Muhammad (who was an outlier in so many ways), there were only three people 96 and older who were on the list but became a miss, meaning the likes of Javier Perez de Cuellar and Betty White will probably stay on till they die and Doris Day will probably return

2. A lot of people who are misses are those who were in the age range of 88 - 91, meaning that if they were on the list but they reach this age range, it might be a good idea to put them back on again...

3. Another age range that has a lot of people being missed is the 79 - 82 range. I know many of them were on the list in the early days, but I still found a certain amount of people who debut post 2000 that died in that age range

Anyways, I kind of thought it was interesting to do, so enjoy it, Or not...

• Like 1

Aye, and Galbraith was an odd miss. He was old and he'd been ill towards the end of 2005. Promptly dropped by the list, and dies!

Of all of those, some are unfortunate (on one year, die the next - instinct right but not the timing), others are bizarre (Yeltsin, and my memory still keeps trying to tell me Borgnine was a hit), but the one single staggering miss, imo, is Alec Guinness.  Not only was he one of the all time greats, but he was on the 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999 lists! I'm sure there's a lesson there.

Fun fact: Claudio Abbado, a scoring pick for DQSP in 2014, is alphabetically the earliest hit in DDP history. Frank Aarebrot, who died on 9 September this year, was a pick in previous years, but nobody plumped for him this time round.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2017 at 09:26, Spade_Cooley said:

Fun fact: Claudio Abbado, a scoring pick for DQSP in 2014, is alphabetically the earliest hit in DDP history. Frank Aarebrot, who died on 9 September this year, was a pick in previous years, but nobody plumped for him this time round.

Theme team ideas, #533

Here is an interesting stat
6 people in the DDP top 40 were passed over by both the Crowdsourced List and the Deathlist Comittee
All 6(Trump,Scales,Van Dyke,Kilmer,Doherty,Hawking) are on course to see 2018

It wasn't all bad for DDP top 50 selections going 1-3  as Daisy Berkowitz and Chuck Berry finished in the 41-50 range on DDP while neither made the Crowdsource or Deathlist 50.

• Like 3

With 2017 wrapping up, I've decided to arrange the lists by number of hits.

17 - 2017

14 - 2003, 2008, 2015

13 - 2006, 2013

12 - 2004, 2005, 2009, 2012, 2016

10 - 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, 2014

9 - 1994, 1995, 1997, 2010

8 - 1998

7 - 1996, 2011

5 - 1992, 1993

3 - 1989, 1990

1 - 1987

0 - 1988 (if that counts), 1991

• Like 1

2018 Names Stats:

Age (Youngest to Oldest):

51 - Paul Gascoigne 

54 - Leah Bracknell

59 - Linda Nolan 

61 - Mark Smith

70 - Olivia Newton-John 

71 - Tessa Jowell, Ronnie Wood 

75 - Joni Mitchell 

76 - Stephen Hawking

78 - Jimmy Greaves

79 - Clive James, Valerie Harper

80 - Ian St. John

81 - Jill Gascoine

82 - John McCain

85 - Louis Farrakhan

86 - Prunella Scales

88 - Sean Connery

89 - Stirling Moss

90 - Hosni Mubarak

91 - Neil Simon, Benedict XVI, June Brown

92 - Mel Brooks, Stanley Baxter, VGE

93 - Dick Van Dyke, Honor Blackman, Barbara Bush

94 - Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush, Charles Aznavour, Leslie Phillips, Robert Mugabe

95 - Bob Dole, Henry Kissinger

96 - Stan Lee, Pierre Cardin, Doris Day, Denis Norden, Betty White

97 - Prince Philip

98 - JP de Cuellar

99 - Lord Carrington

100 - Billy Graham

101 - Vera Lynn

102 - Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland

103 - Herman Wouk

Most Common Ages: 94 and 96 (5 names each)

Number of Appearances (Fewest to Most): 

1 (first-timers) - John McCain, Linda Nolan, Stirling Moss, Tessa Jowell, Barbara Bush, Stanley Baxter, VGE, Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, June Brown, Ronnie Wood, Olivia Newton-John, Joni Mitchell, Mark Smith

2 - Leah Bracknell, Betty White, Bob Barker, Prunella Scales, Jill Gascoine, Honor Blackman, Benedict XVI, Sean Connery, Ian St. John, Jimmy Greaves, Paul Gascoigne

3 - Doris Day, Jimmy Carter, Charles Aznavour, Dick Van Dyke, Louis Farrakhan

4 - Lord Carrington, Pierre Cardin, Leslie Phillips, Valerie Harper, Stephen Hawking

5 - JP de Cuellar, Stan Lee, Robert Mugabe, Hosni Mubarak, Clive James

6 - Prince Philip, Bob Dole, George H. W. Bush, Henry Kissinger, Denis Norden

7 - Herman Wouk

10 - Vera Lynn

11 - Olivia de Havilland

12 - Billy Graham

16 (tied with Clive Dunn for most appearances) - Kirk Douglas

Most Common Number of Appearances: 1 time (14 names)

• Like 3