29 replies to this topic

#1 joeyruss

joeyruss

Jim Morrison's ar-soul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2007 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:16 AM

Considering he has terminal brain cancer and he has a high chance of being obitable, I think it would be right for him to have his own page. Surprised no one made one already.
Spoiler

#2 Paul Bearer

Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7390 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:03 AM

Considering he has terminal brain cancer and he has a high chance of being obitable, I think it would be right for him to have his own page. Surprised no one made one already.

Who the fuck is he?
  • Lord Fellatio Nelson, Toast, charon and 2 others like this
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#3 joeyruss

joeyruss

Jim Morrison's ar-soul

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:17 AM

Who the f**k is he?
Lead singer of a band called the Tragically Hip. The Tragically Hip even toured with The Who before. Very well known in Canada, and Gord Downie could definitely be obitable. Although you rarely listen to people's suggestions, so...
Spoiler

#4 charon

charon

Looking for coin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4699 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:16 AM

:D

Didn't someone mention the lead singer of the tribute band has the same ailment?

Double bubble ahoy!
  • Paul Bearer and msc like this
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

#5 GossipGabe

GossipGabe

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:45 AM

Well, it's mostly a question of taste, but with many thematic threads available, we might not need a separate thread for every dying guy that merely has "a high chance of being obitable" as opposed to being household names.

Sure, he might be a lucrative DDP pick. But DL candidate? Not really.
  • Toast likes this

#6 msc

msc

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3412 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:50 AM

I don't really see any of the big DDP 2017 picks featuring on the 2017 Deathlist so far. I mean, sure they picked Chris Woodhead, but he had a degree of notoriety/public awareness in the UK. Piers Sellers (despite being from Sussex), Gord Downie, etc,  don't.

• Toast likes this

Pan Breed 2017: G Downie (joker), Al Baghdadi, A Aspin, L Bracknell, C Butts, E Christie, S Coward, R Elias, G Gilbert, A Holmlund, S Lakovic, T McGiffin, C Nevin, S Ricketts, M Sims, S Karl, S Sumner, B Suisala, J van der Westhuizen, P Van Zandvliet

Other Combined Deadpools: S Hart, P McGill, P Skellern, T Booth, C Bradley, J Busby, G Fox, D Francis, S Hewlett, M Hirst, Bishop E Long, L Magill, C Meads, C MacGregor, R Salmon, D Sawchuk, V Spiridinov, B Starr, J Wetton, M Wilson, V Harper, P Sarstedt, F Ricksen, A Ashley, B Baxter, A Beck, R Easton, S H Evans, P Firman, A Fujimori, B Glanville, J Ivory, L Johansson, S A Jugnauth, N Kember, Sir K Morrison, R Sainsbury, D Stockwell, M Theodorakis, A Thynn, B Walden, H Whittington, J Woodvine, R Angell, B Chatterjee, B Gascoigne, J Blake, J Busby, I Byland, V Greene, S Hankins, C Laws, V Letele, J Pruitt, M Soares, E Morano, J Snuka, King Michael, J Gascoine, L Hawkes, B Simpson, M Wilson, Akihito, Benedict XVI, G Bush Sr, J Chirac, O de Havilland, B Forsyth, M Gorbachev, H Kohl, V Lynn, S Poitier, P Sallis, I St John, R Atkins, D Athill, P Tinsulanonda, G Bayldon, R Hardy, D Carrington, E parsons, M Heseltine  5/100

2016: 32/100

2015: 21/100
2014: 24/100
2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#7 Spade_Cooley

Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 4775 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

roey juss

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

#8 Paul Bearer

Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7390 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

Who the f**k is he?
Lead singer of a band called the Tragically Hip. The Tragically Hip even toured with The Who before. Very well known in Canada, and Gord Downie could definitely be obitable. Although you rarely listen to people's suggestions, so...

We don't do 'Famous in their own back yards'.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#9 The Dead Cow

The Dead Cow

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Who the f**k is he?

Downie is guaranteed a QO, there's no question about that. 

Alright, he's not a household name outside of Canada, but Joost van der Westhuizen, Sandy Gall and Robert M Pirsig are by no means household names. Besides, Gord Downie is far more famous than the likes of Fergie Frederiksen who had a spot on the 2011 list, so I see no reason why Downie can't have a spot on DL 2017.

• RadGuy, Switch and joeyruss like this

DDP 2017 - Still Life  Mao Kobayashi (joker), Mark Sims, Errol Christie, Gord Downie, Glen Campbell, Paul Van-Zandvliet, Sara Coward, Mario Soares, Alberto Fujimori, Tracy Mcgiffin, Michael I of Romania, John Wetton, Joost van der Westhuizen, Clive James, Valery Spiridonov, Steve Sumner, Smith Hart, Peter Skellern, Leah Bracknell, Tony Booth

DDP 2017 (Theme Team) - Destination Eschaton  Saul Kripke (joker), Mary Midgley, Daniel Dennett, Slavoj Zizek, Richard Swinburne, Alvin Plantinga, Gayatri Spivak, Nel Noddings, Derek Parfit, Sandra Harding, Robert M. Pirsig, Jurgen Habermas, Gillo Dorfles, Keith Ward, Agnes Heller, Alain Baidiou, Hans Albert, Mary Warnock, Noam Chomsky, Anthony Kenny

#10 GossipGabe

GossipGabe

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

Who the f**k is he?

Alright, he's not a household name outside of Canada, but Joost van der Westhuizen, Sandy Gall and Robert M Pirsig are by no means household names. Besides, Gord Downie is far more famous than the likes of Fergie Frederiksen who had a spot on the 2011 list, so I see no reason why Downie can't have a spot on DL 2017.

Fergie Frederiksen was a mistake. In fact, a notorious double mistake, since he didn't die in the year when he was supposed to, and didn't get the sort of obit that he was supposed to.

I guess that he might have been chosen after one of the committee members read "Former Toto singer has incurable cancer" in the news and mistakenly believed that since Toto had been famous, he too should've been.

In fact, it would have required some more research to discover that he had a brief and unremarkable tenure at Toto, and that he had nothing to do with their biggest hits like Africa etc.

But a one-off mistake is hardly the gold standard to which the DL should adhere. Sure, not everyone cares about Rugby, but at least Joost v. d. W. is known to Rugby enthusiasts. OTOH, is Gord Downie known to rockers within the UK? Did he or his band have any single/album that charted in the UK?
  • Bibliogryphon likes this

#11 msc

msc

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3412 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

Joost also won probably the most famous World Cup final in his sport, which has growing interest/influence throughout the world.

Fergie Frederiksen was symptomatic of the 2011 list. I don't really know Downie's music - I aim to rectify that at some point soon - but he's known by many of my music loving friends, many of whom drew a blank on Fergie, so I dare say he's far better known. And should get a DDP QO. But I'd be stunned if he made the front page. Tends to be A list musicians they go for, bar the odd outlier.

Pan Breed 2017: G Downie (joker), Al Baghdadi, A Aspin, L Bracknell, C Butts, E Christie, S Coward, R Elias, G Gilbert, A Holmlund, S Lakovic, T McGiffin, C Nevin, S Ricketts, M Sims, S Karl, S Sumner, B Suisala, J van der Westhuizen, P Van Zandvliet

Other Combined Deadpools: S Hart, P McGill, P Skellern, T Booth, C Bradley, J Busby, G Fox, D Francis, S Hewlett, M Hirst, Bishop E Long, L Magill, C Meads, C MacGregor, R Salmon, D Sawchuk, V Spiridinov, B Starr, J Wetton, M Wilson, V Harper, P Sarstedt, F Ricksen, A Ashley, B Baxter, A Beck, R Easton, S H Evans, P Firman, A Fujimori, B Glanville, J Ivory, L Johansson, S A Jugnauth, N Kember, Sir K Morrison, R Sainsbury, D Stockwell, M Theodorakis, A Thynn, B Walden, H Whittington, J Woodvine, R Angell, B Chatterjee, B Gascoigne, J Blake, J Busby, I Byland, V Greene, S Hankins, C Laws, V Letele, J Pruitt, M Soares, E Morano, J Snuka, King Michael, J Gascoine, L Hawkes, B Simpson, M Wilson, Akihito, Benedict XVI, G Bush Sr, J Chirac, O de Havilland, B Forsyth, M Gorbachev, H Kohl, V Lynn, S Poitier, P Sallis, I St John, R Atkins, D Athill, P Tinsulanonda, G Bayldon, R Hardy, D Carrington, E parsons, M Heseltine  5/100

#12 The Dead Cow

The Dead Cow

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

Who the f**k is he?

Fergie Frederiksen was a mistake. In fact, a notorious double mistake, since he didn't die in the year when he was supposed to, and didn't get the sort of obit that he was supposed to.

I guess that he might have been chosen after one of the committee members read "Former Toto singer has incurable cancer" in the news and mistakenly believed that since Toto had been famous, he too should've been.

In fact, it would have required some more research to discover that he had a brief and unremarkable tenure at Toto, and that he had nothing to do with their biggest hits like Africa etc.

But a one-off mistake is hardly the gold standard to which the DL should adhere. Sure, not everyone cares about Rugby, but at least Joost v. d. W. is known to Rugby enthusiasts. OTOH, is Gord Downie known to rockers within the UK? Did he or his band have any single/album that charted in the UK?

I'm sure that there are many music enthusiasts who are aware of The Hip within the UK.

I know that they were the favourite band of Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics. Indeed the Stereophonics were originally named Tragic Love Company in reference to The Tragically Hip, Mother Love Bone and Bad Company. They also released a cover of Fiddlers Green as a B-side to 'Bartender and the Thief' which reached #3 on the UK charts. So there may be a lot of Stereophonics fans who are aware of Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip.

They don't seem to have had any chart success in the UK, but that doesn't make them unknown. Take Lou Rawls as an example, he didn't have any success in the UK except for reaching number #10 with 'You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine', but he had enough success in the US to warrant him the top spot on DL 2006. 

Gord Downie obviously isn't as internationally well known as Lou Rawls was and I'm not saying that he definitely deserves a place on the 2017 list, but I think he should at least be considered. Besides, the Death List could do with some more musical picks. Anyway, it's not up to us, it's up to the committee and God knows what they will decide.

• joeyruss likes this

DDP 2017 - Still Life  Mao Kobayashi (joker), Mark Sims, Errol Christie, Gord Downie, Glen Campbell, Paul Van-Zandvliet, Sara Coward, Mario Soares, Alberto Fujimori, Tracy Mcgiffin, Michael I of Romania, John Wetton, Joost van der Westhuizen, Clive James, Valery Spiridonov, Steve Sumner, Smith Hart, Peter Skellern, Leah Bracknell, Tony Booth

DDP 2017 (Theme Team) - Destination Eschaton  Saul Kripke (joker), Mary Midgley, Daniel Dennett, Slavoj Zizek, Richard Swinburne, Alvin Plantinga, Gayatri Spivak, Nel Noddings, Derek Parfit, Sandra Harding, Robert M. Pirsig, Jurgen Habermas, Gillo Dorfles, Keith Ward, Agnes Heller, Alain Baidiou, Hans Albert, Mary Warnock, Noam Chomsky, Anthony Kenny

#13 CaptainChorizo

CaptainChorizo

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

Who the f**k is he?

Javier Perez De Cuellar is a 3 time pick and despite his notable occupation he is equally as unfamous outside of deadpooling as the likes of Gord Downie and Piers Sellers.

• joeyruss likes this

WINNER 2015 HartlePool Deadpool

DDP Teams 2016

Heading Nowhere
Joker Joey Feek 2.Martin Crowe 3.Howard Marks 4.Kris Travis 5.Pat Harrington Jr 6.Paul Cox 7.Yoshiro Nakamatsu 8.G Monty Brinson 9.Steven LaTourette 10.Bonnie Brown 11.Terri Roberts 12.Ian St John 13.Rene Angelil 14.Jade Pateman 15.Peter Esterhazy 16.Jenny Diski   17.Vera Caslavska 18.Seijun Suzuki 19.Kate Granger 20.Andrew Smith

Theme teams
Maysle Brothers Memorial Deathsquad (Documentaries)
Joker Yoshiro Nakamatsu 2.Sharon Jones 3.Iris Apfel 4.Fernando Ricksen 5.Adrian Street 6.David Attenborough 7.Takna Jigme Zangpo 8.Alejandro Jodorowsky 9.Agnes Varda 10.Baby Peggy 11.Rowena Kincaid 12.Kristen Hallenga 13.Joost Van Der Westhuizen 14.Eddie Willis 15.Martine Fokken 16.Louise Fokken 
17.Michael White 18.Hideo Miyazaki 19.Jonas Mekas 20.Burt Pugach

Diem Brown Memorial Deathsquad(Reality TV)
Joker Joey Feek 2.Kris Travis 3.Rudy Boesch 4.Lina Wertmuller 5.Jackie Stallone 6.Valerie Harper 7.Cloris Leachman 8.Jerry MacDonald 9.Pat Patterson  10.Boutros Boutros Ghali 11.Geoffrey Palmer 12.Mary Berry 13.George H. Ross 14.Caroline Aherne 15.Heloisa Pinheiro 16.Vera Lynn 17.Esther Jenner 18.Mitzi Shore 19.Big Ang
20.Paddy Jones

#14 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Follically Challenged Bastard

• Members
  • 4242 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:32 PM

Who the f**k is he?

I'm sure that there are many music enthusiasts who are aware of The Hip within the UK.

I know that they were the favourite band of Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics. Indeed the Stereophonics were originally named Tragic Love Company in reference to The Tragically Hip, Mother Love Bone and Bad Company. They also released a cover of Fiddlers Green as a B-side to 'Bartender and the Thief' which reached #3 on the UK charts. So there may be a lot of Stereophonics fans who are aware of Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip.

They don't seem to have had any chart success in the UK, but that doesn't make them unknown. Take Lou Rawls as an example, he didn't have any success in the UK except for reaching number #10 with 'You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine', but he had enough success in the US to warrant him the top spot on DL 2006. 

Gord Downie obviously isn't as internationally well known as Lou Rawls was and I'm not saying that he definitely deserves a place on the 2017 list, but I think he should at least be considered. Besides, the Death List could do with some more musical picks. Anyway, it's not up to us, it's up to the committee and God knows what they will decide.

I wouldn't say that.

Millions of Britons have wiped their arses on him.

• Bibliogryphon, The Dead Cow, NotTheNagsHeadReading and 2 others like this

The first to ask "Is he dead yet?" about Castro Forsyth...............ignore piss poor imitators. :D

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2017

Olivia De Havilland

Carol Channing

Kirk Douglas

Bruce Forsyth

Clifton James

Clive King

Martin Peters

Glynnis Johns

Brian Matthew

John Noakes

Subs: Sean Connery, George Cohen

#15 joeyruss

joeyruss

Jim Morrison's ar-soul

• Members
  • 2007 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:12 AM

Who the f**k is he?

Try saying that to me now he made the list :D
Spoiler

#16 Sir Creep

Sir Creep

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4800 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:49 AM

Count me squarely in the line of folks that think this is a poor pick. Dude has cancer that is inoperable BUT TREATABLE. His fate is sealed but I don't think for a second he is dying in 2017 until treatments are reported failing.
SC
2015 Shaun's Death By Numbers -- CHAMPION --- 269 points8/502015 Necronomicon Suh DP (Doug Stanhope site) - Sir Creep -- CHAMPION 546 points 12/20, 86 teams 2016 Unofficial Second effing Place (USFP) - Deathrace2016  :banghead: 2016 Shadow List: (26 / 50)<p>[/size][/font]

#17 Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2755 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:06 AM

Glioblastoma is lethal though and can kill very quickly.

Shadow Deathlist 2017:

1)Tony Booth 2)Leah Bracknell 3)Kirk Douglas 4)Billy Graham 5)Herman Wouk 6)David Rockefeller 7)Clare Hollingworth 8)Leslie Phillips 9)Peter Sallis 10 )Nobby Stiles 11)Glen Campbell 12)Peter Skellern 13)Denis Norden 14)Javier Perez de Cuellar 15)Jake LaMotta 16)George H.W Bush 17)Prince Philip 18)Jerry Lewis 19)Ian Brady 20)Helmut Kohl 21)Jacques Chirac 22)Fats Domino 23)Peter Sarstedt 24)Pierre Cardin 25)Colin Meads 26)John Noakes 27)Ray Kennedy 28)Sheila Mercier 29)Stephen Hawking30)Vera Lynn 31)Olivia de Havilland 32)Ray Wilson 33)Mary Tyler Moore 34)Prunella Scales35)Liz Dawn36)Chuck Berry37)Bill Maynard 38)Paul Gascoigne 39)Jimmy Carter 40)Peter Carrington 41)Stan Lee 42)Henry Kissinger 43)Bob Dole 44)Tony Iommi 5)Doris Day 46)Nicholas Parsons 47)John Hurt 48)Freddie Starr 49)Charles Aznavour 50)Robert Mugabe

2/50

#18 Death Impends

Death Impends

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1942 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:09 AM

15 months to live on average with glioblastoma, iirc, and he's had it since December 2015.

DDP Team: Thomas Jefferson Survives (2017 - Wayne Barrett, Tony Booth, Leah Bracknell, Charles Bradley, Paul Briggs, Errol Christie (J), Sara Coward, Gord Downie, Rayya Elias, Steve Hewlett, Colin Meads, King Michael, Catherine Nevin, Julia Perez, Simon Ricketts, Mark Sims, Peter Skellern, Stefan Karl Stefansson, Joost van der Westhuizen, Paul Van-Zandvliet 2/20)

DDP History: (2016 - 16/20, 4th place) (2015 - 12/20, 3rd place) (2014 - 7/20, =12th place) (2013 - 11/20, 4th place)

Personal 50:
King Michael, June Foray, Sumner Redstone, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, David Rockefeller, Herman Wouk, Morton Sobell, Billy Graham, Jerry Maren, Mario Soares, Vera Lynn, I. M. Pei, Jim Lovell, Prince Philip, Bob Dole, Glen Campbell, Jim Leavelle, Chuck Yeager, Francoise Gilot, George H.W. Bush, Jimmy Carter, Peter Sallis, Ingvar Kamprad, Jean Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Gershon Kingsley, Carol Channing, Jacques Chirac, Bart Starr, Clive James, John Paul Stevens, Pope Benedict XVI, Glynis Johns, Desmond Tutu, Fats Domino, Joanne Woodward, Monty Hall, Helmut Kohl, Robert Mugabe, Mikhail Gorbachev, James McCord, Gaston Glock, Roger Bannister, Stefan Karl Stefansson, Jim Nabors, Mary Tyler Moore, Bruce Langhorne, Wilford Brimley, Stan Lee, Jerry Lewis (1/50)

#19 Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2755 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

A Dr`s opinion on Gord Downie.15 months appears to be the upper end of the life expectancy.

Youtube video:Gord Downie's Terminal Cancer Explained by Dr. Belchetz (can`t get link to work)

Shadow Deathlist 2017:

1)Tony Booth 2)Leah Bracknell 3)Kirk Douglas 4)Billy Graham 5)Herman Wouk 6)David Rockefeller 7)Clare Hollingworth 8)Leslie Phillips 9)Peter Sallis 10 )Nobby Stiles 11)Glen Campbell 12)Peter Skellern 13)Denis Norden 14)Javier Perez de Cuellar 15)Jake LaMotta 16)George H.W Bush 17)Prince Philip 18)Jerry Lewis 19)Ian Brady 20)Helmut Kohl 21)Jacques Chirac 22)Fats Domino 23)Peter Sarstedt 24)Pierre Cardin 25)Colin Meads 26)John Noakes 27)Ray Kennedy 28)Sheila Mercier 29)Stephen Hawking30)Vera Lynn 31)Olivia de Havilland 32)Ray Wilson 33)Mary Tyler Moore 34)Prunella Scales35)Liz Dawn36)Chuck Berry37)Bill Maynard 38)Paul Gascoigne 39)Jimmy Carter 40)Peter Carrington 41)Stan Lee 42)Henry Kissinger 43)Bob Dole 44)Tony Iommi 5)Doris Day 46)Nicholas Parsons 47)John Hurt 48)Freddie Starr 49)Charles Aznavour 50)Robert Mugabe

2/50

#20 msc

msc

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3412 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

Glioblastoma is lethal though and can kill very quickly.

Aye, it was the main factor in me picking Van Zandvliet. Inoperable liver cancer's nasty, add in kidney cancer (though that was treated iirc), but in one of his interviews mid-summer, he casually mentioned that his brain cancer was glioblastoma. It's like a Street Fighter KO combo...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users