Joey Russ

Gord Downie

Considering he has terminal brain cancer and he has a high chance of being obitable, I think it would be right for him to have his own page. Surprised no one made one already.

Considering he has terminal brain cancer and he has a high chance of being obitable, I think it would be right for him to have his own page. Surprised no one made one already.

Who the fuck is he?

• Like 7

Who the f**k is he?
Lead singer of a band called the Tragically Hip. The Tragically Hip even toured with The Who before. Very well known in Canada, and Gord Downie could definitely be obitable. Although you rarely listen to people's suggestions, so...

:D

Didn't someone mention the lead singer of the tribute band has the same ailment?

Double bubble ahoy!

• Like 2

Well, it's mostly a question of taste, but with many thematic threads available, we might not need a separate thread for every dying guy that merely has "a high chance of being obitable" as opposed to being household names.

Sure, he might be a lucrative DDP pick. But DL candidate? Not really.

• Like 2

I don't really see any of the big DDP 2017 picks featuring on the 2017 Deathlist so far. I mean, sure they picked Chris Woodhead, but he had a degree of notoriety/public awareness in the UK. Piers Sellers (despite being from Sussex), Gord Downie, etc, don't.

• Like 1

Who the f**k is he?
Lead singer of a band called the Tragically Hip. The Tragically Hip even toured with The Who before. Very well known in Canada, and Gord Downie could definitely be obitable. Although you rarely listen to people's suggestions, so...

We don't do 'Famous in their own back yards'.

Who the f**k is he?

Downie is guaranteed a QO, there's no question about that.

Alright, he's not a household name outside of Canada, but Joost van der Westhuizen, Sandy Gall and Robert M Pirsig are by no means household names. Besides, Gord Downie is far more famous than the likes of Fergie Frederiksen who had a spot on the 2011 list, so I see no reason why Downie can't have a spot on DL 2017.

• Like 3

Who the f**k is he?

Alright, he's not a household name outside of Canada, but Joost van der Westhuizen, Sandy Gall and Robert M Pirsig are by no means household names. Besides, Gord Downie is far more famous than the likes of Fergie Frederiksen who had a spot on the 2011 list, so I see no reason why Downie can't have a spot on DL 2017.

Fergie Frederiksen was a mistake. In fact, a notorious double mistake, since he didn't die in the year when he was supposed to, and didn't get the sort of obit that he was supposed to.

I guess that he might have been chosen after one of the committee members read "Former Toto singer has incurable cancer" in the news and mistakenly believed that since Toto had been famous, he too should've been.

In fact, it would have required some more research to discover that he had a brief and unremarkable tenure at Toto, and that he had nothing to do with their biggest hits like Africa etc.

But a one-off mistake is hardly the gold standard to which the DL should adhere. Sure, not everyone cares about Rugby, but at least Joost v. d. W. is known to Rugby enthusiasts. OTOH, is Gord Downie known to rockers within the UK? Did he or his band have any single/album that charted in the UK?

• Like 2

Joost also won probably the most famous World Cup final in his sport, which has growing interest/influence throughout the world.

Fergie Frederiksen was symptomatic of the 2011 list. I don't really know Downie's music - I aim to rectify that at some point soon - but he's known by many of my music loving friends, many of whom drew a blank on Fergie, so I dare say he's far better known. And should get a DDP QO. But I'd be stunned if he made the front page. Tends to be A list musicians they go for, bar the odd outlier.

Who the f**k is he?

Fergie Frederiksen was a mistake. In fact, a notorious double mistake, since he didn't die in the year when he was supposed to, and didn't get the sort of obit that he was supposed to.

I guess that he might have been chosen after one of the committee members read "Former Toto singer has incurable cancer" in the news and mistakenly believed that since Toto had been famous, he too should've been.

In fact, it would have required some more research to discover that he had a brief and unremarkable tenure at Toto, and that he had nothing to do with their biggest hits like Africa etc.

But a one-off mistake is hardly the gold standard to which the DL should adhere. Sure, not everyone cares about Rugby, but at least Joost v. d. W. is known to Rugby enthusiasts. OTOH, is Gord Downie known to rockers within the UK? Did he or his band have any single/album that charted in the UK?

I'm sure that there are many music enthusiasts who are aware of The Hip within the UK.

I know that they were the favourite band of Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics. Indeed the Stereophonics were originally named Tragic Love Company in reference to The Tragically Hip, Mother Love Bone and Bad Company. They also released a cover of Fiddlers Green as a B-side to 'Bartender and the Thief' which reached #3 on the UK charts. So there may be a lot of Stereophonics fans who are aware of Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip.

They don't seem to have had any chart success in the UK, but that doesn't make them unknown. Take Lou Rawls as an example, he didn't have any success in the UK except for reaching number #10 with 'You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine', but he had enough success in the US to warrant him the top spot on DL 2006.

Gord Downie obviously isn't as internationally well known as Lou Rawls was and I'm not saying that he definitely deserves a place on the 2017 list, but I think he should at least be considered. Besides, the Death List could do with some more musical picks. Anyway, it's not up to us, it's up to the committee and God knows what they will decide.

• Like 2

Who the f**k is he?

Javier Perez De Cuellar is a 3 time pick and despite his notable occupation he is equally as unfamous outside of deadpooling as the likes of Gord Downie and Piers Sellers.

• Like 1

Who the f**k is he?

I'm sure that there are many music enthusiasts who are aware of The Hip within the UK.

I know that they were the favourite band of Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics. Indeed the Stereophonics were originally named Tragic Love Company in reference to The Tragically Hip, Mother Love Bone and Bad Company. They also released a cover of Fiddlers Green as a B-side to 'Bartender and the Thief' which reached #3 on the UK charts. So there may be a lot of Stereophonics fans who are aware of Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip.

They don't seem to have had any chart success in the UK, but that doesn't make them unknown. Take Lou Rawls as an example, he didn't have any success in the UK except for reaching number #10 with 'You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine', but he had enough success in the US to warrant him the top spot on DL 2006.

Gord Downie obviously isn't as internationally well known as Lou Rawls was and I'm not saying that he definitely deserves a place on the 2017 list, but I think he should at least be considered. Besides, the Death List could do with some more musical picks. Anyway, it's not up to us, it's up to the committee and God knows what they will decide.

I wouldn't say that.

Millions of Britons have wiped their arses on him.

• Like 5

Who the f**k is he?

Try saying that to me now he made the list :D
  • Like 1

Count me squarely in the line of folks that think this is a poor pick. Dude has cancer that is inoperable BUT TREATABLE. His fate is sealed but I don't think for a second he is dying in 2017 until treatments are reported failing.

SC

Glioblastoma is lethal though and can kill very quickly.

15 months to live on average with glioblastoma, iirc, and he's had it since December 2015.

A Dr`s opinion on Gord Downie.15 months appears to be the upper end of the life expectancy.

Youtube video:Gord Downie's Terminal Cancer Explained by Dr. Belchetz (can`t get link to work)

Aye, it was the main factor in me picking Van Zandvliet. Inoperable liver cancer's nasty, add in kidney cancer (though that was treated iirc), but in one of his interviews mid-summer, he casually mentioned that his brain cancer was glioblastoma. It's like a Street Fighter KO combo...

Aye, it was the main factor in me picking Van Zandvliet. Inoperable liver cancer's nasty, add in kidney cancer (though that was treated iirc), but in one of his interviews mid-summer, he casually mentioned that his brain cancer was glioblastoma. It's like a Street Fighter KO combo...

I seem to recall him mentioning that whatever was up with his liver and kidneys might've not been cancer after all, though he wasn't completely sure. But that didn't matter, as glioblastoma means he's fecked regardless... :skill2:

I seem to recall him mentioning that whatever was up with his liver and kidneys might've not been cancer after all, though he wasn't completely sure. But that didn't matter, as glioblastoma means he's fecked regardless... :skill2:

Iirc they thought it was kidney cancer he had, but when they cleaned that up, it turned out he had a Grade IV metastatic glioblastoma. :skull:

I had a neighbour who had it who lasted 14-15 months with it.That was with surgery and radiotherapy.The last few months were terrible to witness..

Was just searching twitter.Tragically hip and Gord Downie`s accounts have not been posted on for some weeks.An ominous sign perhaps.Also in October in an interview,he said that he had to write things o his hands to jog his failing memory including the interviewer`s name.He had known the interviewer for over 20 years. Apparently on bad days he can`t remember lyrics to his songs and his children`s names.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Was just searching twitter.Tragically hip and Gord Downie`s accounts have not been posted on for some weeks.An ominous sign perhaps.Also in October in an interview,he said that he had to write things o his hands to jog his failing memory including the interviewer`s name.He had known the interviewer for over 20 years. Apparently on bad days he can`t remember lyrics to his songs and his children`s names.

He was named Canadian newsmaker of the year, and that article refers to a public appearance in early December. But yeah, slowing down considerably, given he was out campaigning etc in October.

• Like 1